Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good guess, but ... there was nobody in the paired stall.

Usually, when a car arrives to share your "your" SpC charger, there could be a simple power level change, depending upon how much power your car is using.

Previously, I have not observed such a series of damped oscillations in charging power. So, I am guessing that this behavior is the result of modified but not yet perfected Pack-charging temperature control software. I doubt that there is any good reason to intentionally design large power oscillations into the charging control system.

Last edited:
In the final stages of releasing the next version (0.1.31)

- Code updated to be in sync with the latest Android version of TM-Spy.
- For frames with less than 8 bytes the file name will include the number of bytes in the frame.
- CAN bus speed can be set to Automatic, 500, 250, or 125 k baud. Previous version was set to 500 k baud. Some OBDII adapters do not handle Auto correctly resulting in commands that should be accepted being rejected. If that happens select the CAN baud rate manually on the Options setting panel. 500 for CAN 3 & 6 and 125 for CAN 2 & 4 monitoring.
- minor display formatting fixes.

Using 0.1.31, graphing 2 variables, the fixed scale makes a poor vertical axis scale choice for the second (or last) variable, apparently using the same zero value point as the first variable. The Android version does the same thing.

Example here:

image.png

In choosing a MsgID to be captured, when there are two listed possible data lengths, does it just watch for the MsgID, capture any data lengths it finds, and then name the Save file with the first, last, or most frequent data length, or ... what, please?

Or, should we list the MsgID twice, once with each length, treating each as a separate item?

In any case, great work in creating and evolving a very flexible, powerful, and useful application.

Yes the zero point will always be the same.

My assumption is that any given vehicle has only one length for a MsgID. Different vehicles with different firmware might use a different length. The length of the first frame seen that matches the MsgID is the length used for naming the file.

The Leaf also has different lengths for the same MsgID. But this is because Nissan changed the length of some messages with the 2013 and later models.

Using 0.1.31, graphing 2 variables, the fixed scale makes a poor vertical axis scale choice for the second (or last) variable, apparently using the same zero value point as the first variable. The Android version does the same thing.

Example here:

View attachment 180768
Why have you chosen a y-axis min value of -1620 Amps? Is there a charger that can deliver that may amps during charging? I would think that a min value of -300 amps would be good enough. The max amps should be much higher. Seems you have the signs backwards for the amps. Plus amps is out of the battery and minus is in (regen/charging).

Yes, when studying charging behavior, I graph Power In, as shown in the graph title.
In case the charging session includes portions of a driving log, I scale that value
just like you would normally scale amps out.

It appears that the first variable graphed determines the blue range, as it should
in full-scale mode, but the red and green full ranges are not used, but modified
to include unintended impossible values, like minus 4050 for pack voltage ... just
to use the same zero line.

What do you do if the full blue range does not include zero?

But, most important, it seems to be working, even though I have not been using
your great app recently ... my S85 was crashed on the right rear ... while parked
in my driveway. Now, I am in the waiting for parts phase, although still able to
drive the car.

I am also looking for an excellent canine cataract surgery location in SoCal.
Cheers, Gary

After the test-app expires, one can no longer run the app ... however ...

Jim has posted a new test version, v0.1.32 instead of v31, with support added for the Carista BTLE dongle ... described as support for the "Carista" Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter. Thanks Jim.

The LELink is a bit less expensive on Amazon.
Is there any advantage to trying the Carista?
Thanks.

Last edited: