Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
David,
My LELink and TM-Spy on my iPad 3 are working fine, but you could meet with us and we could try my hardware on your car. Is your Adapter cable plugged into the TDC?

A week from Saturday, on May 7th, our EV Gathering meets at about 8 AM for breakfast at the Golden Corral in the City of Industry, in southern California. We are usually there until at least 11 AM, and at least two Tesla Model S's should be there (one is mine). This GC has a wide variety of good food, and is located just South of the 60 freeway, about 4 miles West of the 57/60 interchange. You may come and visit and chat with us, if you so desire.

Thanks so much! I'll check my calendar. I'd love to come and chat! I'm going to try the iOS version next. I also just ordered the LELink adapter from Amazon.

BTW, here is my creation. I want to be able to put everything back behind the cubby and close it. Of course I would wrap it up to be insulated before I'd do this.

Reactions: hiroshiy
No. Both BT links can be active simultaneously.

Gotcha. That's nice. I've had horrible trouble when two or more Bluetooth devices need to be paired. Maybe they've fixed this by now.

Why would you think that? You can have multiple Bluetooth connections. Bluetooth 4.0 LE does not even support pairing it just auto connects.

WiFi is the one that only supports one connection.

Interesting. I'm not familiar with this standard. Every BT device I've ever operated requires pairing (reason I don't like it much).

David99,
What board are you using with your "creation"?
If it is standard Bluetooth, which typically needs Pairing, was it used with the Android TM-Spy?
Is it the one that "stopped working" after the 2.17.37 software revision?
If so, try to reboot the touchscreen computer, which appears to reboot or reinitialize the car's bluetooth module.
Cheers, Gary

• Informative
Reactions: David99
David99,
What board are you using with your "creation"?
If it is standard Bluetooth, which typically needs Pairing, was it used with the Android TM-Spy?
Is it the one that "stopped working" after the 2.17.37 software revision?
If so, try to reboot the touchscreen computer, which appears to reboot or reinitialize the car's bluetooth module.
Cheers, Gary

I'll try it. I tested the dongles in their original housing to make sure they work and then opened them and did this setup. There is a chance that in the process they got damaged. I ordered the one the is recommended and once I have that I will test one more time. I really want to hide the whole setup. I don't want to drive around with the cable and dongle ganging out there. Is there any other solutions? What are you doing?

With a short, flexible, 4-wire TDC to OBD adapter cable and the mini-size LELink dongle (to be used with the iOS version of TM-Spy), I beliece that the adapter cable's OBD connector end and the attached (plugged in) unmodified dongle should fit into the concave rectangular recess above the cubby, and the cubby should close ... at least it feels to my fingers like it should fit. I will try it tomorrow, and see if sufficient Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) signal gets out to the iPad 3.

From the size of the printed circuit board, it looks like you are using the board from a "long" ELM-type standard Bluetooth dongle, which you would use with the Android version of TM-Spy ... right? For the Android, I used the mid-size ELM-type dongles ... mostly, but I have the mini, the mid, and the long sizes to try.

However, for now, I am just testing the much more advanced iOS version of TM-Spy.

Hi Folks,

I thought I would post this here, since there has been much talk about the various connectors used for the Tesla Diagnostic Connector.

To assist the community efforts in logging and analysis I am going to be selling three different packaged options for the 2015 MS or MX connector:

The options are as follow:

1) 1m (~3ft) worth of cable with the new TDC on one end and bare striped wire on the other, this is the cheapest and most customizable option for the hackers and tinkerers among us. Retail price $20 + S/H

2) Same as the above, but includes a DIY OBD-II connector for the other end, comes with the OBD shell, pins, strain relief and fasteners, you simply crimp the pins and screw together the connector shell. Retail price $25 + S/H

3) 1m (~3ft) worth of cable with the new TDC on one end, the other end comes with a fully assembled OBD-II connector positions filled according to your specifications, for example you can put either bus 2, 3, or 6 on OBD pins 6-14, enabling logging of different information (chassis, powertrain, body bus). This is the perfect plug-and-play version for those that just want to start logging right away (using apps like TM-Spy). Retail price $30 + S/H

Right now the cables are in production and I expect to have stock by mid to late May (possibly sooner), to make a pre-order simply PM me a name, email address, and which cables(s) you are interested in and I will notify you once they are available for sale.

As a special pre-order promo I am offering 5% off retail price for the first 10 orders from forum members, after that it goes back up to the normal price.

I got a chance to test the LELink with my iPad and it worked flawlessly. So cool not having to deal with pairing. I'm still confused why nothing works on Android any more as it used to. And LELink also doesn't show up on any of my Android devices including the brand new S7.

I got a chance to test the LELink with my iPad and it worked flawlessly. So cool not having to deal with pairing. I'm still confused why nothing works on Android any more as it used to. And LELink also doesn't show up on any of my Android devices including the brand new S7.
The LELink is Bluetooth 4.0 LE when used with either iOS or Android. It will not show up on the Android Bluetooth Settings page or iOS Settings page until an app connects with it. Bluetooth 4.0 LE is totally different from standard Bluetooth with pairing. They really should have given it a different name as the protocol is very different. Some reviewers of these adapters who have not been told how they work think the Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapter is defective because it never shows up on the Settings connection page.

The LELink is Bluetooth 4.0 LE when used with either iOS or Android. It will not show up on the Android Bluetooth Settings page or iOS Settings page until an app connects with it. Bluetooth 4.0 LE is totally different from standard Bluetooth with pairing. They really should have given it a different name as the protocol is very different. Some reviewers of these adapters who have not been told how they work think the Bluetooth 4.0 LE adapter is defective because it never shows up on the Settings connection page.

That makes sense now! I assume the Android version of TM-Spy doesn't support that yet?

Hi Folks,

I thought I would post this here, since there has been much talk about the various connectors used for the Tesla Diagnostic Connector.

To assist the community efforts in logging and analysis I am going to be selling three different packaged options for the 2015 MS or MX connector:

The options are as follow:

1) 1m (~3ft) worth of cable with the new TDC on one end and bare striped wire on the other, this is the cheapest and most customizable option for the hackers and tinkerers among us. Retail price $20 + S/H

2) Same as the above, but includes a DIY OBD-II connector for the other end, comes with the OBD shell, pins, strain relief and fasteners, you simply crimp the pins and screw together the connector shell. Retail price $25 + S/H

3) 1m (~3ft) worth of cable with the new TDC on one end, the other end comes with a fully assembled OBD-II connector positions filled according to your specifications, for example you can put either bus 2, 3, or 6 on OBD pins 6-14, enabling logging of different information (chassis, powertrain, body bus). This is the perfect plug-and-play version for those that just want to start logging right away (using apps like TM-Spy). Retail price $30 + S/H

Right now the cables are in production and I expect to have stock by mid to late May (possibly sooner), to make a pre-order simply PM me a name, email address, and which cables(s) you are interested in and I will notify you once they are available for sale.

As a special pre-order promo I am offering 5% off retail price for the first 10 orders from forum members, after that it goes back up to the normal price.

So that's like the two variants of cables I'm already selling in the classifieds and on my Etsy store? ;)

Welcome to TMC!

OK I played a little more and none of my creations seem to work. I ended up opening the LELink up and direct-wired it to the plug. Works great! Here are some photos. Since it's as low profile as it gets, I hope it will fit in the little hole and I can actually close the "cubby". I'm just waiting for the glue to cure...
aaa.jpg

Thank you!

While it is similar, I am offering more options depending on what you need (or want to spend), plus I can terminate the cable to whichever bus you want (2,3,4,6), whereas yours is just CAN3.

I didn't think the TM-Spy application could use anything other than the information gathered from bus 3 nor was it set up to collect data from more than one bus at a time. The @Turbo3 or @garygid do you guys see a need for something besides bus 3 for this app? We have another thread going for sniffing the various CAN buses. I've made some combo plugs for people that want access to all of them for both connection types, too.The demand wasn't really there to make a classified ad for, though. ;)

I didn't think the TM-Spy application could use anything other than the information gathered from bus 3 nor was it set up to collect data from more than one bus at a time. The @Turbo3 or @garygid do you guys see a need for something besides bus 3 for this app? We have another thread going for sniffing the various CAN buses. I've made some combo plugs for people that want access to all of them for both connection types, too.The demand wasn't really there to make a classified ad for, though. ;)
TM-Spy has two functions. One is to display specific data from CAN bus 3. So if you connect to another bus then that function is not going to work. The other is to graph data from the CAN bus, any CAN bus with 11 bit ID at 500 kbaud. I use that feature to test the app on my Leaf by specifying Leaf CAN messages.

To use this graph function on a CAN bus other than a Tesla CAN 3 bus you need to go into Settings and enable graph start when app starts in order to bypass looking for any Tesla CAN 3 data which would hang the app looking for it. That option was added so I could test the app on my Leaf but you can use it to capture/graph data from any CAN bus on any vehicle electric or ICE ever made that has a CAN bus with 11 bit ID at 500 kbaud. Makes no difference to the app.

Reactions: David99
Chris,

I'm actually intending to go after a wider market share than just TM-spy users, since with a bare cable you can access your newer car using everything from the CANtact to top end Kvaser dongles. Tesla managed to choose a connector that is very hard to get unless you want 1k from Asia, so I'm thinking of not only the plug and play logging people (ala TMSpy) but other TMC members working on reverse engineering the Model S/X as a whole, who have no easy way to get into their car (short of using jumper wires in the sockets).

Also, my post correcting my contact info to an email address rather than a PM has vanished so I'll repost below.
All pre-order inquires/questions can be directed at maxwelltechnologies1(at)gmail.com, I will be selling the cables on Panjo once my stock arrives.

TM-Spy has two functions. One is to display specific data from CAN bus 3. So if you connect to another bus then that function is not going to work. The other is to graph data from the CAN bus, any CAN bus with 11 bit ID at 500 kbaud. I use that feature to test the app on my Leaf by specifying Leaf CAN messages.

To use this graph function on a CAN bus other than a Tesla CAN 3 bus you need to go into Settings and enable graph start when app starts in order to bypass looking for any Tesla CAN 3 data which would hang the app looking for it. That option was added so I could test the app on my Leaf but you can use it to capture/graph data from any CAN bus on any vehicle electric or ICE ever made that has a CAN bus with 11 bit ID at 500 kbaud. Makes no difference to the app.

That's good to know. Is there a way to modify the baud rate and/or bit ID for other CAN buses?