Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy to see Model S data.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started playing with this recently and have a question regarding the cells display. See my results for a 2017 S75 battery pack. There appears to be an anomaly on block #84. I guess 85kW packs have 96 blocks but 75kW packs only have 84? Does the application take that into account or do I really have an abnormal situation? Despite the abnormality, the program is reporting a discrepancy of only 4mV, meaning it's ignoring that anomaly? For the record, I get the same reading in both the Android as well as iOS application and also in that "other" program.

Curious to see what other 75kW pack owners are seeing....

View attachment 273272
Speedy,

Did you ever get an answer why our 75s show this?

Just got TM-Spy up and running on my iPhone XS. I purchased this OBD2/CAN adapter cable and this LELink 2 Bluetooth dongle.

The adapter cable and bluetooth dongle easily fit above the cubby with it reinstalled. No pairing required since it uses Bluetooth LE; just open TM-Spy and it should automatically connect. The LELink 2 apparently has an auto on/off feature but I don't know if it's enabled by default (the company offers their own app that has an auto on/off toggle, not sure how TM-Spy handles this option).

Everything appears to be working. This is on a 2015 Model S 85D with 44,585 miles. Anyone know the approximate pack kWh on a new 85D? I'm sitting at 75.5 kWh (battery temps ~70F). This electrek article suggest ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable, but I'm not sure what TM-Spy is displaying (total capacity or usable).

Attachments

• IMG_0529.png
    IMG_0529.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Informative
Reactions: Darren S
Does anyone know how to interpret the "G" data from the default 102 recipe? See the attached screenshot of a short recording I did. Is the scale on the left (0.032 to 0.384) showing an increase in G force? Is this coming from the iOS device or is there some sort of accelerometer in the Model S?

Also, does anyone have a recipe file with more data to log? I was hoping to find one with the accelerator pedal position.

The help file also mentions one feature that the developer would like to add is outside air temperature. It looks like Scan My Tesla has this data which is shared on their website: Scan My Tesla readings

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_6d5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6d5.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I was curious what CAN bus data TM-Spy is actually reporting for the remaining kWh. I initially thought it was 'nominalEnergyRemaining' but it turns out it's either 'expectedEnergyRemaining' or 'idealEnergyRemaining'. I'm not entirely sure as they both report the same value for the data I'm looking at. I suppose I could have just asked @Turbo3 as well, but I wanted to learn how to convert raw CAN bus data into readable values so I figured I'd try to figure it out myself.

Wouldn't it be nice if all that data blasting around on the CAN bus could be shown on the MCU screen, we are always told Tesla is a tech company, many owners are tech crazy, so what's Tesla's problem in having an engineering mode display available to everyone?

• Love
Reactions: vdiv
Wouldn't it be nice if all that data blasting around on the CAN bus could be shown on the MCU screen, we are always told Tesla is a tech company, many owners are tech crazy, so what's Tesla's problem in having an engineering mode display available to everyone?
Because there would be non-stop question to the Tesla staff. Is that really what we would want the Tesla staff to spend there time on? Don't we care about the company being profitable and moving forward with more 3's, the Y, etc, etc. This would only make sense if someone only cared about _Me _Me _Me.

Would suggest Scan My Tesla for a ton of data:
scan my tesla

Last edited:
Is that really what we would want the Tesla staff to spend there time on?
No, but then I don't want Tesla staff endlessly spending time telling owners that 'x issue' will be fixed in the next update but that seems to be the case. Your statement and stab at me personally makes no sense, why are you suggesting I am being self entitled because I'd like to see some more technical data displayed about the car?

No, but then I don't want Tesla staff endlessly spending time telling owners that 'x issue' will be fixed in the next update but that seems to be the case. Your statement and stab at me personally makes no sense, why are you suggesting I am being self entitled because I'd like to see some more technical data displayed about the car?
Well there was a play on words I was making with the 'me' generation and your member name :)

It is unclear what you're wanting technical details which you don't give examples of and the 'x issue' fixed have in common? Unclear if you want Tesla support to field all the question and confusion on this? Hey, it is part of the UI it must be explained idea.

What are you specifically looking for?
How does that help the mass population of Tesla owners?
What good is it for the majority of normal owners besides some novelties?
Why should Tesla spend time on such a UI and then get demands that it is in the UI so it must be documented (also regulations on this in some areas/countries?)?

I pointed out scan my Tesla (AND TM spy of course) and there are other ways people can get the details. Data geeks should use those and not force Tesla to spend resources on geek owners but worry about future profits and future cars to the masses.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna