Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using trip planner on a recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My advice would be to shut the thing off until Tesla irons out the obvious flaws. For now, based on my experience, it's useless. Not only that it will attempt to divert you from a carefully planned route, which ours is.

I agree completely, and have had my "Trip Planner" off (toggle is somewhere in settings) for quite a while now!!

What is very useful, and not discussed much, is the Energy:Trip screen. Set the Destination in the Nav, then use the Energy:Trip screen to look at the predicted SoC at the destination. When going Supercharger to Supercharger in good weather, I have found charging until a 10-15% predicted SoC at the next Supercharger works well for me. If the weather is bad, the wind is in my face, or I want to drive faster than most, I charge more. If the predicted SoC starts getting low while driving, I slow down a little, then check again in 10 miles, repeat until predicted SoC at destination is comfortable again.

In my opinion, once you get used to it, the Energy:Trip screen is the best addition yet to the Tesla for driving the Tesla comfortably and minimizing charge times.

My experience is that the energy prediction of the trip planner does not take current weather conditions into the estimate while you are charging. Once you are on the road, the Energy:Trip page does seem to do a pretty good job of comparing your energy usage over the last 5-10 miles with it's model and project a SoC at the destination.

My experience is the same, except that it takes 10-20 miles of driving instead of just 5-10 to adjust to an accurate prediction when it is 5F or colder.

I think Tesla should just adopt EV Trip Planner. It's far better than what Tesla is doing on its own.

Except EV Trip Planner can be just as screwed up if you let it pick your route, so I don't see how it's any better. I was just plotting for a trip from Boise to Portland. I normally only do single leg calculations on it, because I always pick my own route, but I thought, "Now that there actually is a complete easy Supercharger route from Boise to Portland, let's just see if it picks it right when I put in the end points and hit 'Route Thru Superchargers' ". Disgraceful. Instead of the obvious route along I-84, with stops at the Superchargers in Baker City, Pendleton, and The Dalles (all about 120 mile segments), which should be about 400 miles total, it decided the route should be down to Elko Nevada, along I-80 through Reno, and then up I-5 through California to get to Portland in a big loop of 1,182 miles through 9 Superchargers. WTF?

I think I will use my Garmin and load the chargers in it and use the tesla nav sys as a back up until the tesla nav lets you add or remove way points

I don't see a need for the Garmin, necessarily. You can take a minute or two on your own to look at a map and just pick which 3 or 4 stops are the Superchargers along your route. You don't need a program or device to do that. And the nav in the car is fine for just routing directly to your next stop.

I don't see a need for the Garmin, necessarily. You can take a minute or two on your own to look at a map and just pick which 3 or 4 stops are the Superchargers along your route. You don't need a program or device to do that. And the nav in the car is fine for just routing directly to your next stop.

Exactly. Just select your destination (voice command "Navigate" or manual entry) and when it pops up with a crazy route, select "delete all charging" in blue.

Then, it will recalculate the correct route, and you just select Superchargers that make sense along your route that will be displayed on the map. If you touch one with you finger, it will pop up with the option to "navigate" to that Supercharger or HPWC.

You will have to go through this exercise for each Supercharger along your route. No Garmin needed.

You can also put PlugShare up and make the routing that way to find charging locations.

Exactly. Just select your destination (voice command "Navigate" or manual entry) and when it pops up with a crazy route, select "delete all charging" in blue.

Then, it will recalculate the correct route, and you just select Superchargers that make sense along your route that will be displayed on the map. If you touch one with you finger, it will pop up with the option to "navigate" to that Supercharger or HPWC.

You will have to go through this exercise for each Supercharger along your route. No Garmin needed.

You can also put PlugShare up and make the routing that way to find charging locations.

I usually navigate to the 2nd supercharger along the route. This way the crappy algorithm gives me a ballpark as to how long I'd need to charge at the first supercharger to make it to the 2nd supercharger with a 20% buffer. Then I adjust accordingly.