Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using UMC charger only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The simple answer is not that easily, as an outlet for electric vehicle charging has to have a bit better level of protection than an ordinary outdoor outlet, according to the regs. It also depends on how the existing outlet is wired. If it's a part of a ring final, then the chances are new wiring may be needed. If it's wired as a radial, then it may be possible to fit a 16 A interlocked commando outlet. There will be a need for additional protection, but that can be installed inside the enclosure on to which the commando is fitted. There may also be a need to fit an earth electrode, or some other form of open PEN device, depending on the type of earthing system the installation has.

Thanks for your reply, not as straight forward as I hoped but at least I know for when an electrician comes round.

One thing to bare in mind is that the UMC is described as a backup option, it isn't really designed to be used for constant use, it is also not fully water proof, more splash proof. If your relying as using it as your only charging option it may be worth buying a spare as a backup so your not stuck if it dies (which on the FB groups seems to be quite common, especially for those using it all the time.) It is also worth making sure you use a socket that is designed for high constant use, there are some sites that list sockets as for EV's, otherwise you can get to the point where they crack/melt. To help avoid it you would be better to charge it up daily and therefore your putting less stress/heat on the socket to. Tesla also recommend to have you car plugged in whenever you can.

Dan is right regarding UMC not being waterproof. What I did when I was using it was to stuck it under the car together with the extension plug. There was some really heavy rain and it was fine. Also keep in mind whenever you use it to have the cable fully extended. Heat can build up if the cable is not extended.

As a renter, I've been doing that for over a year.

Initially I used an unbranded socket which got very hot and sometimes cut the power down as a result. Eventually I swapped it for a branded metal crabtree socket and all been fine every since.

Pre lockdown we were doing 80 miles a day.

One thing to bare in mind is that the UMC is described as a backup option, it isn't really designed to be used for constant use, it is also not fully water proof, more splash proof.

Well now, not sure I've ever read that it's a 'backup option' but happy to see a reference? It's also described by Tesla as 'weather resistant'. To a reasonable person, that means it can be left outside without protection - NEMA 3R. Obviously not in a bucket of water but importantly, not affected by rain, snow, ice etc.

Reactions: bitmanEV
Well now, not sure I've ever read that it's a 'backup option' but happy to see a reference? It's also described by Tesla as 'weather resistant'. To a reasonable person, that means it can be left outside without protection - NEMA 3R. Obviously not in a bucket of water but importantly, not affected by rain, snow, ice etc.
Charging Connectors "Tesla recommends storing your Mobile Connector (6m) in the trunk of your car, to use as a backup charging solution when traveling."

The UMC manual also has the following warnings, I can't remember what the rating is, but I think it is effectively splash proof, but that is all.

"Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the MobileConnector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

Warning: Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times.If any exist or appear to have corroded or damaged the Mobile Connector, do not use theMobile Connector.

Warning: If rain falls during charging, do not allow rain water to run along the length ofcharge cable, causing the electrical outlet or charging port to become wet"

Last edited:
"If it rains during charging.... don't allow the charge port to become wet". Lol.

No idea whether it was raining between 00:30 and 4:30am this morning, but you can bet the charge port gets wet in the UK. Especially if following the "leave it plugged in all the time" also in the manual somewhere.

I'll take all their warning and post them in the "because they legally have to post warnings to protect stupid people", and keep doing what I'm doing.

"If it rains during charging.... don't allow the charge port to become wet". Lol.

No idea whether it was raining between 00:30 and 4:30am this morning, but you can bet the charge port gets wet in the UK. Especially if following the "leave it plugged in all the time" also in the manual somewhere.

I'll take all their warning and post them in the "because they legally have to post warnings to protect stupid people", and keep doing what I'm doing.
I think the main issue is the end of the UMC, rather than the actual charge port on the car. Either way, it isn't properly waterproof, probably fine for some light rain every now and again, but not as a permanent option.