Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Wel Networks Chargers In New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I’m going to be on the North Island for almost 3 weeks in July and renting an e-Golf in Auckland. In researching charging options I came across WEL Networks chargers Electric vehicles | Energy & Electricity Provider New Zealand

There appear to be quite a few of them and they are free. I’m interested in hearing from those who have used them, how busy they can be, if they are properly maintained and reliable. In the US, free public chargers are often poorly maintained and out of order, so I am reluctant to count on them when planning a trip.

I realize that Tesla owners are unlikely to use the WEL chargers since they are apparently CCS Type 2 and CHAdeMO but maybe some of you also have another EV model that can use them.

I am particularly interested in charging my e-Golf in the Hamilton area because I will be spending part of my trip in the Lake Taupo area and will need a charge midway between Auckland and Taupo. It looks like another charging choice in Hamilton are Countdown markets where there are “Delta” 25kW chargers or CCS Type 2 (50kW) chargers. It’s not clear to me what entity operates those chargers. I found them on PlugShare.

Thanks.

I don’t know about WEL, I will check them out.
The biggest commercial network of ‘Fast’ chargers is charge.net.nz.
I have signed up with them and purchased 2x RFID key fobs ($1 each plus post).
Using their network is essential if you want to travel any distance in the South Island.
Tesla superchargers cover the main route only.

The Wel chargers are well maintained and in most cases free to use, I use them with my Leaf ( Model3 on order..)
They typically have CSS and Chadimo charging cables. If you use the PlugShare App you can see what charge cables they have. I do recommend opening a ChargeNet account doe the ones in between ( these usually are at countdowns etc..)

The WEL chargers are owned by an electricity lines company. They are 50kW ABB chargers like those used by the lines company in Auckland - Vector, and another lines company Unison that you may also encounter.

The ChargeNet chargers are all 43kW Tritium chargers except for some 25kW Deltas at supermarkets like Countdown (Woolworths to you). The Deltas are slow and take about 30 seconds to self-test and activate so be patient! :)

They are generally all reliable and your main competition will be Ioniqs and Leafs. Unfortunately PlugShare is not used by many new EV drivers so it’s difficult to check if a non-networked site run by a lines company is busy, but all the ChargeNet sites are networked and will show if in use.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful comments!

I am aware of ChargeNet. Since I will only be on the North Island, and the only time I think I will need a charge (other than the 3 places I am staying, all of which tell me I can charge there overnight from their 230V mains plugs) will be in the Hamilton area on my route from Auckland to Taupo and back (staying several days in Taupo) I don’t think it is worthwhile for me to set up a ChargeNet account. There appear to be plenty of charges in the Hamilton area to choose from.

That said, if I am ever able to convince my spouse to move to NZ then I will set up a ChargeNet account. :) I love NZ and am seriously investigating moving there in the future. Won’t be able to take my Teslas with me, but I can always trade them in for right hand drive versions!

As far as I'm aware, you may also be able to use Tesla destination chargers with the e-Golf since it uses the same Type 2 connector that the destination chargers use here. A number of hotels and motels have them.
Wow, I had no idea. Please help me understand this: in NZ the Tesla Destination Chargers, what I would call a High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) do not use the Tesla plug style I am used to in the States but instead use a CCS Type 2 connector? And that connector type is what all NZ Teslas come with so that connector is on the Superchargers in NZ?

Wow, I had no idea. Please help me understand this: in NZ the Tesla Destination Chargers, what I would call a High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) do not use the Tesla plug style I am used to in the States but instead use a CCS Type 2 connector? And that connector type is what all NZ Teslas come with so that connector is on the Superchargers in NZ?
Yep, that's correct. Outside of the US, Japan and China, Tesla doesn't use their own connector and just uses the standard type 2 connector. The Model 3 has a Type 2 CCS connector with DC charging, too.

Although the Superchargers have a Type 2 connector, they won't charge any other car but a Tesla as they're a) smart and require communication with the car and b) While the connector is the same, the current Type 2 connector at a Supercharger uses Tesla's own proprietary pinout.

Thanks for the good info Matt!

Wanted to rent a Tesla for my upcoming trip but a Model S rental was over US$2,000 and there are no Model 3 rentals available yet. So the e-Golf was the only other EV I could find that had a usable range for my purposes.

I’m sure that in the near future there will be Model 3s available for rent in NZ.

I’ve now been in NZ for over two weeks with a rental e-Golf from Europcar. My wife and I love traveling in NZ, spent 6 days in Auckland (with day trips to Hunua Falls and Warkworth), then 6 days in Acacia Bay at Lake Taupo, now at Piha for 6 days. My blog is at Electric Travels (not ad supported or a way to make some money, I do it just for fun)

Charging the e-Golf has not been too much of a problem using the variety of fast DC chargers on the Auckland/Hamilton/Taupo route, as there are quite a few, though many are just a single stall so occasionallyI have had to wait. But charging the tiny 36kW e-Golf battery at 50kW is hardly a fast experience. I got a Chargenet account and RFID tag so that helps, but have also tried to use the free Wel and Vector chargers when I can. In my opinion the Auckland area needs a lot more DC chargers than it has currently.
Electric Travels

The e-Golf is nothing like a Tesla, even a base Model 3 (which costs slightly less!). I guess the e-Golf could be useful as a commuter car, but I do not recommend it as for trips over 200km, and that is only under ideal conditions. I posted a review at Volkswagen E-Golf

The next time I make a trip to NZ — which will hopefully be within a couple of years! — I will be able to rent a Model 3. Just the base SR version would be wonderful to have for traveling here with the Supercharger network.

Here I am charging the e-Golf, slowly, at Taupo, looking longingly at the vacant Supercharger stalls...

5920642D-7777-473F-AB01-DE4E825E1CEE.jpeg

Yeah the e-Golf (and the i3) is basically dead in the water now with the arrival of the Model 3. It would be a poor financial decision to buy it over the Model 3 which has around double the range, better performance and access to the supercharger network for about the same cost.

I’ve now been in NZ for over two weeks with a rental e-Golf from Europcar. My wife and I love traveling in NZ, spent 6 days in Auckland (with day trips to Hunua Falls and Warkworth), then 6 days in Acacia Bay at Lake Taupo, now at Piha for 6 days. My blog is at Electric Travels (not ad supported or a way to make some money, I do it just for fun)

Charging the e-Golf has not been too much of a problem using the variety of fast DC chargers on the Auckland/Hamilton/Taupo route, as there are quite a few, though many are just a single stall so occasionallyI have had to wait. But charging the tiny 36kW e-Golf battery at 50kW is hardly a fast experience. I got a Chargenet account and RFID tag so that helps, but have also tried to use the free Wel and Vector chargers when I can. In my opinion the Auckland area needs a lot more DC chargers than it has currently.
Electric Travels

The e-Golf is nothing like a Tesla, even a base Model 3 (which costs slightly less!). I guess the e-Golf could be useful as a commuter car, but I do not recommend it as for trips over 200km, and that is only under ideal conditions. I posted a review at Volkswagen E-Golf

The next time I make a trip to NZ — which will hopefully be within a couple of years! — I will be able to rent a Model 3. Just the base SR version would be wonderful to have for traveling here with the Supercharger network.

Here I am charging the e-Golf, slowly, at Taupo, looking longingly at the vacant Supercharger stalls...

View attachment 428727
Pleased you're having a good time. It's been a warm dry winter so not much snow to see.

You are so right about the lack of Auckland Fast Chargers - lots of queues with Leafs these days! Can't wait for my SR+ to arrive in August-September.

I’m now in Piha and of course there is no DC fast charging there, nor did I expect it. ;) Beautiful place on the coast! There is a free 7kW Vector charger located at the Piha Cafe, though the parking spot is tiny. I won’t need it since I can charge at my rental house; slowly of course, but fast enough overnight for the tiny e-Golf battery. Have to park right in front of the garage to access a plug inside the house. Having some rain, but yesterday was nice, went on a hike with the Auckland Hiking Group
Hiking With the Kiwis in the Waitakere Ranges
6E65B625-51B2-4134-9A35-8DD931AEC4AE.jpeg

Reactions: T3SLA3 and baillies