Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using XTechnor cabin filters? Buyer beware. They make a tricky job even more difficult.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was time to install my third set of Model 3 cabin filters. The first time that I replaced them in summer 2021 I used XTechnor HEPA filters with activated charcoal. They worked pretty well and lasted about the usual 1 year. But when it came time to take those filters out today, I ran into serious trouble. The issue is that they are a pretty snug fit already. I noticed that putting them in a year ago but didn't think much about it. Then today when it came time to remove them, I grabbed the paper pull tab and instead of pulling the filter out, the tab just started to rip off the filter. So I hesitated knowing that completely losing that tab was going cause trouble. I then grabbed it as close to the filter as possible and pulled gently. It didn't matter, it just came ripping off with now a minimal amount of pulling. See photos.
Now we've got a problem. Getting that top filter out now required taking two miniature flat head screw drivers and pushing each one into a corner of the filter. Next I had to grab one with each hand and pull evenly. If this had been something open on a work bench it would have been easy peasy. Installed where it is and your body is contorted all over the ground and passenger seat? Not so much. But I did eventually get it out after about 15 minutes of finagling. The second one started to tear as well but at least with the top one out it wasn't pinched in there and wasn't as difficult to remove.
So the issue is that XTechnor doesn't attach their pull tabs well enough.
For this next set that I installed, I have tried the Fette brand. Which are also made in China and come in a non-descript box as well. They also have activated charcoal and are very similar to the XTechnor. Before I put them in, I gave the pull tabs a little tug and realized that these are going to cause just about as much trouble as the XTechnors. You can start tearing the pull tabs just holding them in your hand with little to no tension at all.
So my question is? Has anybody had this issue before? Have you used a brand where the pull tabs easily coming off wasn't an issue? When I removed the original OEM filters there wasn't a problem at all. I like to know for when it comes time to use set #4.

Attachments

• 20220720_084436_resized.jpg
    20220720_084436_resized.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 20220720_092620_resized.jpg
    20220720_092620_resized.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220720_084457_resized.jpg
    20220720_084457_resized.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
I used those filters on my old model 3. I sold the car with them still in so I can't speak to their removal but they definitely let more smells into the cabin compared to the OEM filters.

Coincidentally enough I ordered a set of OEM filters last night for my Model Y.