Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USPS should probably go EV, but they wont: 16 states sue USPS to block truck purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling something specifically for the US government can be very dangerous. They tend to overburden you with paperwork and regulatory overhead and other requirements that can really kill you.
Then create a new company that contracts base vehicle production from Tesla, finish off work in separate facility.
One limitation with the Model Y for the mail carrier, however, is that a person cannot stand upright inside it to sort through mail.
Again, the USPS uses off the lot minivans for many regions. Gives time to make the custom design USPS wants.

USPS does use minivans, but the Model Y is markedly smaller in cargo space and payload capacity than any off the lot minivan. You'd need two of them (and would need to double your staff to match) for every caravan being taken out of commision. Not to mention the advantages of sliding doors or of just not having a sloped roof.

The conversation of Tesla's making USPS vehicles feels a bit unmoored in reality in any case, Tesla has expressed no interest nor made a bid or proposal on USPS vehicles. It'd be fun to see USPS painted Teslas flying around, but there's no reality, practically or otherwise, where its going to happen. Some carriers use their personal vehicles on routes, so maybe in that arena we'll start seeing Tesla's pop up.

Reactions: E90alex
USPS does use minivans, but the Model Y is markedly smaller in cargo space and payload capacity than any off the lot minivan. You'd need two of them (and would need to double your staff to match) for every caravan being taken out of commision. Not to mention the advantages of sliding doors or of just not having a sloped roof.
Most of the USPS last mile delivery trucks are a custom vehicle called the Grumman LLV, with mechanicals based on the S-10 small pickup of the era (late 1980s to early 1990s). A small number of newer minivans seem to show up, probably as some of the LLVs become unusable for whatever reason, though their interior and cargo arrangements are probably not optimal for mail delivery (though mail carriers in warmer climates probably appreciate the presence of air conditioning). Note that the LLV is right hand drive, the opposite of most vehicles in the US, and has a sliding driver's door. A regular Model Y would not be anywhere close to the optimal mail delivery truck.

( By Austin102 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, File:Grumman LLV Drivers Side.png - Wikimedia Commons )
1920px-Grumman_LLV_Drivers_Side.png

Most of the USPS last mile delivery trucks are a custom vehicle called the Grumman LLV, with mechanicals based on the S-10 small pickup of the era (late 1980s to early 1990s).
That's understood, but my fault for not quoting the posts I was replying to. I was jumping into the discussion suggesting Model Ys could replace "off the lot" USPS vans currently in use. I definitely agree and think its mainly understood the Model Y wouldn't be a fit replacement for any purpose built USPS vehicle.

Depending on the duty, having 143 cu.ft. of space may not be needed, the 72 + 4 cu.ft. of MY could suffice.
USPS can benefit from experience of using BEV, especially with going from not even a digital clock to full on automation.
The conversation of Tesla's making USPS vehicles feels a bit unmoored in reality in any case, Tesla has expressed no interest nor made a bid or proposal on USPS vehicles. It'd be fun to see USPS painted Teslas flying around, but there's no reality, practically or otherwise, where its going to happen. Some carriers use their personal vehicles on routes, so maybe in that arena we'll start seeing Tesla's pop up.
I suggest that because the current proposal, ICE trucks, is far worse. Best to start in some EV now, than end up with ICE for more decades.
Most of the USPS last mile delivery trucks are a custom vehicle called the Grumman LLV, with mechanicals based on the S-10 small pickup of the era (late 1980s to early 1990s). A small number of newer minivans seem to show up, probably as some of the LLVs become unusable for whatever reason, though their interior and cargo arrangements are probably not optimal for mail delivery (though mail carriers in warmer climates probably appreciate the presence of air conditioning). Note that the LLV is right hand drive, the opposite of most vehicles in the US, and has a sliding driver's door. A regular Model Y would not be anywhere close to the optimal mail delivery truck.
Impressive service life, by necessity. I bet those have the most basic emission controls and fuel economy standards.
Get MY now, or wait a few more years for, more ICE.

Generally, RCAs are required to use their own vehicles for mail delivery, and they receive an equipment allowance in addition to regular pay. The vehicle needs to be insured, dependable, and in good working condition. Vehicles with bucket seats or standard transmission are not recommended.