Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USS Retrofit (Place your bets)

If you could bet if Tesla would retrofit USS, what would you bet? (Double your money)

• USS to be Retrofitted

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • No Retrofit, software & vision

Votes: 146 79.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend just picked up MY and they are thinking of returning it because there is no front camera, so they dont feel like they can park safely. Yes not all drivers are the best, hence assistance and yes, some people dont need them.

If you want to learn more about USS head over here
Tesla Vision - Removal of UltraSonic Sensors

I'm keen on getting a view if people think USS would be retrofitted as the wiring loom is being shipped. Who knows Tesla might be on this forum and may start a convo with Elon!

No a chance in a month of Sundays.

On a slightly different note, no front camera? Or do you mean USS?

I get the argument about reverse parking and the terrible view out the back of most modern cars but nose in parking? That’s a new one.

Reactions: Durzel
They’ll role out software, even if it’s not perfect. There’s more chance of me replacing Elon in the Forbes rich list than them retrofitting USS.
If, on the infinitesimally small chance you do make that list, can I borrow a tenner?

Edit: I'm sorry. That was very rude of me. I'm sure you have every chance of making that list.

No.

They’ll tell you they delivered what they said they would. No USS with a software solution delivered later. The software solution will likely work well enough, enough of the time to fulfil that promise. It may not be as good as USS but they didn’t promise it would be.

Remember, that they promised is pretty vague and you accepted it by taking delivery.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I'm convinced - though i know other are not so sure, but i feel a case against Tesla could be launched for breach of contract for those people who took delivery of a car without USS that was present at the time they ordered the vehicle.

Contract law says - There has to be an offer, an acceptance - and for a consideration (money) at that point the contract is sealed.

So Tesla advertise the car with USS and state a price. You accept that offer and put a deposit down on the order. It is at this specific point the contract is made.

Those who were informed a week prior to collection that they may not have USS or will not have USS would then become the breach of the contract. I accept Tesla may inform you prior to collection of the absence of USS and you can choose to reject if you wish - but you can also insist they discharge their obligations under the contract they agreed to as the contract was formed at the point the deposit was paid - which was well before the advisory USS would be removed.
They may argue you had an opportunity to walk away, and deposit refunded, but the consumer also has a right to reject that change and even accepting the car knowing the USS has been removed would be covered by the unfair contract terms Act as a last-minute change and outside of the contract agreed.

for example - If you state an intended purpose of a product you want prior to paying - and the product couldn't possibly do what you wanted - If the retailer sold you the item knowing what you were going to do with it then it has to be fit for that purpose. So, if you bought a 1-ton pickup truck and told the dealer you were a sculptor and need to load 1.5 tonnes onto the truck - and they sold you that truck and the wheels fell off doing it - the retailer is liable and responsible - and a breach of contract.

I studied law but I'm not a lawyer, but who would go up against the world's richest man? probably only Bezos to give Elon a bloody nose.

Reactions: noobey and H43lio
I'm convinced - though i know other are not so sure, but i feel a case against Tesla could be launched for breach of contract for those people who took delivery of a car without USS that was present at the time they ordered the vehicle.

Contract law says - There has to be an offer, an acceptance - and for a consideration (money) at that point the contract is sealed.

So Tesla advertise the car with USS and state a price. You accept that offer and put a deposit down on the order. It is at this specific point the contract is made.

Those who were informed a week prior to collection that they may not have USS or will not have USS would then become the breach of the contract. I accept Tesla may inform you prior to collection of the absence of USS and you can choose to reject if you wish - but you can also insist they discharge their obligations under the contract they agreed to as the contract was formed at the point the deposit was paid - which was well before the advisory USS would be removed.
They may argue you had an opportunity to walk away, and deposit refunded, but the consumer also has a right to reject that change and even accepting the car knowing the USS has been removed would be covered by the unfair contract terms Act as a last-minute change and outside of the contract agreed.

for example - If you state an intended purpose of a product you want prior to paying - and the product couldn't possibly do what you wanted - If the retailer sold you the item knowing what you were going to do with it then it has to be fit for that purpose. So, if you bought a 1-ton pickup truck and told the dealer you were a sculptor and need to load 1.5 tonnes onto the truck - and they sold you that truck and the wheels fell off doing it - the retailer is liable and responsible - and a breach of contract.

I studied law but I'm not a lawyer, but who would go up against the world's richest man? probably only Bezos to give Elon a bloody nose.
You’ll probably loose, your opportunity to back out of the contract was before delivery or within the first 14 days after delivery if it was a distance sale.

Contracts can be varied. If you don’t accept the variation, then you can have a full refund. Tesla has offered a full refund to anyone that wants one. By accepting the variation in writing and the delivered product, you are accepting the variation on the contract.

You’ll probably find that there was a change in T&Cs (which you should have read) in the run up to them publicly announcing the change which is why some people had to accept something in writing and others didn’t because they probably already accepted it (perhaps naively but that isn’t Tesla’s problem).

Agreement to Purchase or Lease. You agree to purchase from Tesla Motors Limited (“we” “us” or “our”) or lease the vehicle described in your Vehicle Configura+on (the “Vehicle”), subject to the terms and condi+ons of this Agreement. Any other terms and condi+ons related to your Vehicle, including payment terms, are excluded. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and op+ons available at the +me of order. Op+ons, features or hardware released aOer you place your order or that remain subject to regulatory approval, may not be included in or available for your Vehicle or may only become available at a later +me.

Thats 1st paragraph from order agreement, unfortunately we either have to accept cars without USS or cancel the orders

I've received my MY RWD since about 2 weeks.
No USS of course (I knew that from the "warning" before confirming purchase...).
I'm not feeling this as something REALLY needed to park ...
During front side parking is fairly easy to arrive 20 cm from obstacles, due to the nature of the MY front, I find easy to guess distance (my opinion).
Rear parking is really easy thanks to the camera (sensors would be useless, because you hear beeeeeeeeep when you're under 30 cm).

I'm however missing the summon and smart summon more than the parking assistants ... that is the most funny part of having a Tesla ...

I've found myself tempted in going to a dealer and exchanging my Tesla with 300 km with another MY with 6000 km with USS ... just because it is 8 months old...

Talked with a person working in Tesla and he told me "the feature should be back around end of 2022".

* Fingers crossed *

Reactions: boombap
No chance of a retrofit, you'd need two replacement bumpers for a start, and there's no guarantee the looms are there without removing said bumpers. Also, it would need coding too.

I'm more worried about Tesla only supplying bumpers without mounting points for USS to existing owners now! Maybe I need to stockpile some bumpers :(

Reactions: boombap