Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UT Road trip in EV- Hwy 15, SR 12 - National Park routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My wife and I are moving to Denver, so we want to drive through Utah's National Parks and scenic drives. Figuring out how to do it in our MX100D - with our dogs, so we need pet friendly stuff as well.

We will charge in Vegas, then plan to go to Bryce, where they have a destination charger.
Then head out through Bryce, and actually just stay in Escalante, and then the following night up in Torrey. I spoke with a RV park, who offered to rent us a cabin, as well as a 50amp RV site for half price.

After this, driving to Green River SC, then through to Arches, and charging in Moab, and then to Grand Junction and the next day to Denver,

This seems to all plan out, but anyone done this? Any tips? How was efficiency? I recognize it won't be hwy driving, and more up and down elevation and windy roads.

Thanks for your help!

Santa Barbara>Vegas
Vegas>Bryce
Bryce>Escalante
Escalanta>Torrey
Torrey>Grand Junction
Grand Junction>Denver

Reactions: Matsayz
I live in Grand Junction and have a MX 100D. I have done these drives multiple times and you won't have any problems. Boulder, UT (next to Hells Kitchen) has a very fast destination charger. If restaurant is open, EAT. Take some time for Capital Reef Nat'l Park while you are going through, maybe a pie at the farm store. There is a really good RV park/cabin place in Hanksville, UT that can give you a boast or overnight if you need it.

If you need anything while in GJ, let us know. The Western Colorado Tesla Club can help out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pismo
I did a Denver to Vegas and back drive with overnights in Moab and Zion NP several years ago. I don't know if it's still the case, but the SCs in Moab were often ICEd while I was there. Best time to charge is during the day when most people are still out of their rooms.

We did essentially this drive in reverse last November with a model 3 SR+. Destination chargers are fairly well populated along UT-12. Overall efficiency will be better on the slower roads at ~50 mph compared to the highway at 75-80. Maybe you've already done this, but I'd recommend putting each segment into abetterrouteplanner.com just to make sure you're taking into account elevation changes. Have fun!

I did a Denver to Vegas and back drive with overnights in Moab and Zion NP several years ago. I don't know if it's still the case, but the SCs in Moab were often ICEd while I was there. Best time to charge is during the day when most people are still out of their rooms.

The Moab SuperChargers were clear both days we were there. The parking lot lines and signage is VERY clear as of Nov last year. I also think the hotel mgmt would not hesitate to call a tow truck.

These travel plans look good! You’ll get plenty of regen coming down into Denver btw. And I think they just opened a few more on the range there.

We stayed at Bryce Canyon Inn and used their Tesla charger, which actually seemed pretty popular with all the Teslas we saw there. Still, not too busy that we couldn't charge on one of their two chargers. Stayed at the Best Western with the Moab Supercharger and it was fine.

Two separate trips for us, from AZ, and both a little problematic in a Tesla. The Bryce destination charger was critical for us to make the trip. And we took a round-about way to Moab to avoid a large Supercharger gap that ABRP wanted to avoid, but the car wanted to try at reduced speed.

The Moab SuperChargers were clear both days we were there. The parking lot lines and signage is VERY clear as of Nov last year. I also think the hotel mgmt would not hesitate to call a tow truck.
I didn't have a problem charging at Moab either (July 2017 IIRC), even at night, but expecting the hotel to tow their own guests is a bit much. Good signage and communication at check-in is the best we can hope for.

I drove from Las Vegas to Torrey via Bryce and Escalante on SR12. We charged a 2018 Long Range Model 3 in St George at the Supercharger and drove all the way to Torrey. We ate at the Steak House there. They have 2 Tesla HPWC's. It would be even easier in my 2020 Model S Long Range+. We didn't bother with the Supercharger in Beaver. We left I-15 at Cedar and went through Duck Creek Village to intersect with US 89.

I didn't have a problem charging at Moab either (July 2017 IIRC), even at night, but expecting the hotel to tow their own guests is a bit much. Good signage and communication at check-in is the best we can hope for.
Good to hear. I was there in Fall 2015. I even spoke to the manager of the Best Western and told him the ICEing was why I cancelled my rez stayed at another hotel on the return trip.

We did essentially this drive in reverse last November with a model 3 SR+. Destination chargers are fairly well populated along UT-12. Overall efficiency will be better on the slower roads at ~50 mph compared to the highway at 75-80. Maybe you've already done this, but I'd recommend putting each segment into abetterrouteplanner.com just to make sure you're taking into account elevation changes. Have fun!

Thanks - Yeh, we have two dogs, so it makes accomodations another layer of filtering.

We stayed at Bryce Canyon Inn and used their Tesla charger, which actually seemed pretty popular with all the Teslas we saw there. Still, not too busy that we couldn't charge on one of their two chargers. Stayed at the Best Western with the Moab Supercharger and it was fine.

Two separate trips for us, from AZ, and both a little problematic in a Tesla. The Bryce destination charger was critical for us to make the trip. And we took a round-about way to Moab to avoid a large Supercharger gap that ABRP wanted to avoid, but the car wanted to try at reduced speed.

We are staying at the Bryce Canyon Inn, so I hope it all works and there arent too many of them there!

I drove from Las Vegas to Torrey via Bryce and Escalante on SR12. We charged a 2018 Long Range Model 3 in St George at the Supercharger and drove all the way to Torrey. We ate at the Steak House there. They have 2 Tesla HPWC's. It would be even easier in my 2020 Model S Long Range+. We didn't bother with the Supercharger in Beaver. We left I-15 at Cedar and went through Duck Creek Village to intersect with US 89.

Good to know, we have a tentative plan and should work out ok. We love to hike and our dogs love to swim...

Day 1: Jul 29
Leave Vegas (Chargepoint at hotel)
Get into Bryce Canyon
Afternoon Hike + Sunset hike at inspiration point
Charge overnight at the Canyons Inn (Destination Charger)

Day 2: Jul 30
Leave Canyons Inn
Thinking- Zebra Canyon or Grand Staircase
Head to/back to Escalante
Charge overnight at Canyons of Escalanta RV - Have 50amp spare RV circuit or 30amp, as worst case

Day 3: Jul 31
Leave Escalante
Drive by Grand Staircase
Devils Garden 1m trail
Then head to lower creek falls - 6.2miles
Head on up to Torrey
Charge overnight at Sunset Creek RV - Have 50amp RV site + Cabin

Day 4 Aug 1
Leave Torrey
Charge in Green River if had problems the night before
Head to Goose Neck in Capitol Reef NP - head to the Orchards and fruit pick
Head to Arches NP -( maybe lots of little paths, or scenic spots to take a look at things?)
Charge in Moab SC
Head on to Grand Junction - Springhill - has Chargepoint there

Day 5 Aug 2
Leave Grand Junction
Arrive into Denver

Reactions: gnelson
Charge overnight at Canyons of Escalanta RV - Have 50amp spare RV circuit or 30amp, as worst case

Just beware that typical 30-amp RV outlets use a TT-30 plug. Tesla doesn't make an adapter, but you can get a 3rd party one. These are 30 amps but only 120V, so even if you have the right adapter, charging is still quite slow (~6 miles of range per hour of charging for you Model X??).

Just beware that typical 30-amp RV outlets use a TT-30 plug. Tesla doesn't make an adapter, but you can get a 3rd party one. These are 30 amps but only 120V, so even if you have the right adapter, charging is still quite slow (~6 miles of range per hour of charging for you Model X??).

Yep, have that adapter already. But I really hope we dont do 30amps, since as you said, its only 220v, but 8hours of 3k, is still 24kw and should get me to Green River.

Male TT30 > Female 14-50 adapter for EV

My youngest son and I are starting a 4,500 mile road trip "soon" (would rather not give specifics). We used A Better Routeplanner to plan our trip. It is REALLY good at providing you a solid estimate of charging options. I've also supplemented that with PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You info. Then in "non-remote" areas you obviously have the trusty SuperCharger network...

Yep, I have used this for all our west coast road trips. It was great and taught me a lot about how the charging infrustructure works based on your SOC. But no SC on Hwy 12, and we are going on hikes that are off hwy 12, as well as higher elevation etc.

Thanks for your help, I be sure to utilize plugshare too. As I said above, the hard part is not just the road trip, but a layer of EV charging, and another layer of availability, with accomodations that allow pets.

Reactions: wreighven
Moab Supercharger Station shouldn't be ICEd, since they repainted the spaces three years ago. Add in the heat of summer and COVID-19 and I wouldn't expect that hotel to be full of guests scrambling to find parking.
Before:
Supercharging blocked at Moab1809cropsf 11-13-16.jpg

^ 13 November 2016

After:
Moab Supercharger Station1903sf 4-30-17.jpg

^ 30 April 2017

Be aware that National Parks in the Moab area were closed in March to reduce the virus danger for Moab, a small town. They are gradually reopening. The current word from Arches NP:

Park Closure
  • Phased Reopening - some locations still closed due to COVID-19
    We are increasing access to the park in a phased approach. Arches National Park roads, trails, park store, and restrooms are open. The visitor center and campground remain closed. Entrance fees are being collected at the entrance station.more
Information
  • Fee Collection Resumes
    As of Monday, June 15, Arches and Canyonlands resumed collecting park entrance fees. All park passes are available for purchase at park entrance stations.
By early August things may have changed.

It may be the same at other national parks in southern Utah, although I haven't checked.

If you plan to get from Torrey, explore Capitol Reef NP, then to Green River to Moab to Grand Junction in one day, you aren't leaving much time to explore Arches NP. For a brief visit you might want to just go to the Windows section — the drive in is lovely with plenty of scenic pullouts along the road for picture taking. (For a longer visit there are a number of trails that I could recommend, some little known and not crowded.)

A couple of February pictures from Arches:
Delicate Arch2342edsf 2-13-20.jpg
^ Delicate Arch*. Reached by a 3 mile (round trip) trail; best viewing is late afternoon/sunset. Can get crowded.

Double Arch2345edsf 2-14-20.jpg
^ Double Arch, in the Windows section. There are a couple of people visible under the arch for a sense of scale — it is BIG. The Windows section parking can get crowded.

* Fun fact: an early mapmaker mixed up the names of "Delicate Arch" and "Landscape Arch" and the incorrect names have been used ever since. The original names make a lot more sense.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pismo and Barry

Thank you this is good information. We are taking our first road trip in our 2020 Model S Long Range+ from our home in St George to Boulder, UT. ABRP suggests a 9 minute ChaDemo charge in Cedar City to make Boulder comfortably, but your experience indicates it might be doable in one shot.

We’ll charge overnight at the Boulder Mtn Lodge for the return trip.