TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Utah Bill 2014 HB 19 exempts charging stations from being classified as a utility?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Denarius, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Yes, and this is important. Many states treat any entity buying power for resale as a utility, subject to the intense oversight of the state's utility commission: rate hearings, etc. Imagine, if you will, that anyone selling bottled water was treated as a water utility. What a nightmare! So this is a good step for Utah.

3. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

The California PUC had a ruling with the same effect. But I loved the language they used... "Fueling an Electric Vehicle does not constitute selling electricity."

When you think about it, charging an EV is really using the electricity to effect a chemical reaction. Battery discharge is a chemical reaction which produces an electric potential and current.

4. Robert.Boston

This kind of regulatory issue is why you see Blink charge by the kWh in some states and by the hour in others. If they're charging by the hour, they have a colorable case that they're not selling energy. Selling kWhs, however, is clearly selling energy, which can entangle them in certain state's utility regulations. Hence Utah's change.

5. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Vermont has had at least one charging station removed because the owner wanted to charge for the electricity but couldn't. It was actually owned by a utility but they were not allowed to have a different rate structure that wasn't approved by the PUC. It was in a good location, too, and I used it on a few occasions. All the other chargers that I know of in VT are free except for one that charges by the hour to park in front of it.

6. KJD

KJD Member

Does anyone know if this bill passed or not? I can find nothing in the salt lake tribune or deseret news about this.

7. Robert.Boston

According to the status page, the bill has passed both the House and the Senate and has been enrolled in the House. I'm not familiar with the details of the Utah legislative process, but it sounds like it's being prepared to go to the Governor.