Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah No Service Center (yet) How Does it Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I wait for "in production" to appear (and a DS to contact us), I've been thinking about service and warranty and stuff.

Since we don't have a service center in Salt Lake yet, I assume that any service is taken care of by rangers. Fine. If the service is something that is covered under warranty (something breaks, or needs to be updated or whatever), is this completely free? As in I don't have to pay the $100 for a ranger visit? If it is something that is not covered under warranty, I assume that I have to pay ranger even though we don't have an SC?

When we had our test drive in Seattle, the Tesla rep said that he would only take a car in every 2 years for the $600 "annual" service and simply take the tires into a tire center to get them handled on a regular basis. If that were the case, then it doesn't seem that the service plan is cost effective. On the other hand some folks in the service thread talked about hardware upgrades and other features like that. It just seems confusing what is warranty coverage and what is service coverage.

Thanks all.

I can't help you too much on the warranty vs service coverage.

We purchase the 4 year + ranger service plan for our Model S (this was prior to the SLC service center announcement, and during the time when it was stated that the annual service was required for the warranty). So far, there have been a few small warranty service things for our Model S (like updating the charge connections to the 12v), and yes, I haven't paid anything for this work, and it has been done right in our garage, very easy and convenient.

Until just a couple of months ago, we had been in the Denver service area. They had sent a ranger to do routine and warranty service on both our Roadster and Model S. They have been great to work with.

We are now in the Las Vegas service area, and though I've only had a few brief email interactions with the Las Vegas team, they seem great too!

If you don't get the service plan, and want Tesla to do something like rotate your tires or put on your winter wheels (in your garage so you don't have to drag your wheels anywhere), then yes, you would pay a ranger fee. This is true even after the SLC service center opens as you can still have the ranger come to your house rather than take the car to the center. If you get the service plan with ranger visits, Tesla has told me that this will include the ranger visits to swap your summer / winter wheels.

Finally, the Salt Lake service center will open "soon," rumor is by the end of the year.

Thanks Park2670, BryanW, and Denarius.

After reading stuff, it seems reasonable to just go ahead and get the service plan. I'm not sure about the whole ranger thing or not. Certainly while we wait for the SC to be built it will be necessary, although I hope that I won't need service between sometime in October delivery and whenever they open.

BTW - I read in another thread that one or several of you were talking about driving down to St. George and worried about charging. Did you ever figure out how to do that? How does your Model S handle the 80 mile per hour speed limits on I15? I'm sure no problem with the speed, but it may cost distance.

Thanks.

I had to stop and charge in Cedar City for one hour on the way down, and an hour and a half on the way back. I charged at the KOA.

I'm actually heading back down Friday. This time I plan on charging at the Fillmore KOA on the way back. Coming from Cedar City I had to charge to full (made it back to my house in Lehi with 4 miles of range left), which is slower, by pushing the charge further into the trip I will regain the power back more quickly. I drove 75-80 the whole way.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as rangers go, I've had them out a couple of times for TSBs. They were great and did work both at my house and in a clients parking lot.