Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah police recover Teslas, one driven by a man claiming to be a 'Tesla'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Utah police recover stolen Teslas, including one driven by a man claiming to be a 'Tesla'
From "weird news today".
Weist claimed he had "a bag of keys" and a Tesla car he "wanted to return." Keller said Weist also claimed to be a Tesla family member. After impounding the vehicle, police discovered the nearby Tesla dealership at 2200 South and State Street had been burglarized, but had been entered without any visible signs of forced entry.
Police pursued (another) vehicle and apprehended the driver, Shane Smith, 24, just blocks away when the electric-powered car's battery died.
A short time late, 19-year-old Zachary Hallman was pulled over in West Valley City, driving a Tesla vehicle that he claimed was given to him "by a guy named Tesla."
27-year-old Earlene Parker was arrested at a State Street liquor store, also driving a Tesla she said was given to her by a man who claimed to be a Tesla.

I just don't know what to say about this story.

Something NICE to say about Utah:

Almost 20 years ago my family and I spent over a week in St George, Utah on a time-share vacation. We had a wonderful time and our 10 and 12 year old children enjoyed it very much. I think it was in the fall because I do not remember it being hot, but very pleasant.

Anyway, back then I carried my cell phone (very large, not like they are today), wallet, and other valuables, including over $500 cash (we used cash for our vacations back then) in a "fanny-pack". At the end of one day after dinner at a restaurant we decided to go to see a movie. The pack was uncomfortable so I remove it and placed it in the seat next to me. As you can guess, after the movie we left and went back to our room. Just before going to sleep I was looking for my phone to plug it in and could not find it. Thinking about the day I finally remembered where I left it, along with the pack. Now being from CA I expected to either never get it back, or get just the empty wallet without cash or credit cards.

Anyhow, I called the theater to ask if anyone had turned in the pack and the person on the phone said "sure, it is in the managers office". I drove back to the theater and collected the fanny pack. Everything was there, nothing missing. We may joke about Utah and the Mormons but I do not believe there is a more honest group of people. The Tesla theft in Salt Lake was probably done by non-Mormon residents or transplants from California. I could not imagine this being done in Utah in other than a big city. jmho