Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should get in the habit of posting charging experiences on Plugshare, although when one visits hundreds of Supercharger Stations, as I have, it would get old. However, when a station has been reported to have issues, Gallup NM for example, posting of Supercharging experiences on Plugshare is very helpful. It also may help those who don't know about individual Supercharger threads on TMC, which I presume is the majority of Tesla owners. (If you drive an electric car and you don't know about Plugshare, well, you probably ought to stay close to home!)

I have only ever charged outside of the Tesla network once. Just by happenstance that I’m able to always charge at home or the route is all Tesla. I do know about PlugShare and recommend it but totally forgot to check on the latest reviews. Like you said most Tesla chargers rarely need a review but I found the Blanding thread and it hadn’t been touched in years.

I have only ever charged outside of the Tesla network once. Just by happenstance that I’m able to always charge at home or the route is all Tesla. I do know about PlugShare and recommend it but totally forgot to check on the latest reviews. Like you said most Tesla chargers rarely need a review but I found the Blanding thread and it hadn’t been touched in years.
I routinely opportunity charge my car at public charge stations and use RV parks, as well as state and national parks, to charge my car on road trips (I have added new locations to Plugshare). I also used Plugshare and the Chargepoint app to find charging when the Supercharger network was a lot less comprehensive than it is now.

Even today there are big holes in the Supercharger network that require Plugshare to help with road trips. Examples of "Supercharging deserts" include Monument Valley (Kayenta AZ), San Luis Valley/Great Sand Dunes National Park (Alamosa CO), eastern Oregon (Burns OR), southeastern New Mexico/Carlsbad National Park (Roswell NM, Carlsbad NM), northeastern Utah/northwestern Colorado/Dinosaur National Monument (Vernal UT, Craig CO), and many others.

For those of us who live, or travel, away from the Supercharger dense coasts.

Any status update(s) on the Blanding Supercharger? I'm heading through to Monticello in mid-September for a week and this looks to be one of the superchargers I'll be hitting while we bounce around (Model Y long range). I know Moab is up and running well from a couple months ago while there. Thanks!

I was there this last weekend rafting the San Juan and used the Blanding supercharger down and back with no problems (~120 kW Model Y). Was busy with 3 cars there on the way down on Friday. Fortunately the visitor center and bathrooms are open again!

Hopefully they start expanding off the interstates and open up the big holes in the west - right now there is a severe lack of chargers throughout much of CO, NM, WY, etc. There are probably a half dozen trips I make yearly where I will still need to bring the diesel truck...

Reactions: CO_MY and Matsayz
Even today there are big holes in the Supercharger network that require Plugshare to help with road trips. Examples of "Supercharging deserts" include Monument Valley (Kayenta AZ), San Luis Valley/Great Sand Dunes National Park (Alamosa CO), eastern Oregon (Burns OR), southeastern New Mexico/Carlsbad National Park (Roswell NM, Carlsbad NM), northeastern Utah/northwestern Colorado/Dinosaur National Monument (Vernal UT, Craig CO), and many others.

This actually made me feel good - how far we've advanced in a few short years.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
This actually made me feel good - how far we've advanced in a few short years.
Yes, a lot of progress in recent years, although the vast majority of new Supercharger Stations are just increased capacity in already dense areas.

It wouldn't be of interest to coastal folks, but Poncha Springs CO was huge for mountain and SW Colorado, as was Price UT for a shortcut from I-70 to SLC via US 6. Payson AZ was much appreciated by some Phoenix residents heading to the mountains and Tusayan AZ opens up the South Rim of Grand Canyon NP. West Yellowstone MT and Jackson WY were a really big deal for access to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

Some off-Interstate locations away from metro areas are gradually being filled-in with Supercharger Stations.

Yes, a lot of progress in recent years, although the vast majority of new Supercharger Stations are just increased capacity in already dense areas.

This is very true - hard to get too excited about increased capacity in already dense areas, even though it's necessary! Looking at the "coming soon" locations on the Tesla map for Utah, most of them fit this description. Let's hope they can also expand into remaining poorly covered areas soon. In Utah, Vernal is an obvious candidate. Not sure where else - maybe Kanab or Escalante eventually?

This is very true - hard to get too excited about increased capacity in already dense areas, even though it's necessary! Looking at the "coming soon" locations on the Tesla map for Utah, most of them fit this description. Let's hope they can also expand into remaining poorly covered areas soon. In Utah, Vernal is an obvious candidate. Not sure where else - maybe Kanab or Escalante eventually?
Perhaps Hanksville or Torrey, to serve Capitol Reef NP and very scenic and remote state highway 95. Vernal is the biggest hole in Utah coverage IMO. Cedar City would be a big help on the Interstate.

Reactions: RayB and KJD
Using data from supercharge.info, I charted the number of new Supercharger stations opened each year since 2012. Tesla is on pace to open around 460 stations in 2023 so far. I wonder how big of a boost we see from access to the federal funding for DC fast chargers and the new automakers who signed on to use NACS.
Also, for those who are worried about Ford, Rivian, GM, and other EVs clogging up the Supercharger stalls, remember that the agreement was for access to only 12,000 supercharger plugs. At the current pace, Tesla will open around 6,000 plugs (average of 12 plugs per station) next year alone.

1693237814001.png