TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Utah Tesla Owners

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by Denarius, Jun 9, 2013.

1. nobznss

nobznss Member

... and drive up into the middle of it? I didn't know that was where EV parking was. ;)

2. kg7jo-

kg7jo- Member

Found that VIN#60 model 3 down in Cedar city during thanksgiving. we had to fight for the destination charger, luckily there was a level 2 J1772 next to the tesla charger.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  3. mrongey

mrongey Member

Utah Department of Transportation

Are you freaking kidding me, Utah? First you take away the state tax incentive, now I find out I'll probably have to wait years for HOV access, if ever!

4. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

I just got my application for my C permit approved last week. It was about 14 months from when I first submitted. (I'd honestly forgotten about it)

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

I got my first in like two months. Still waiting/hoping for the lottery on my second after ~11 months. A friend just got his last week after ~18 months.

• Like x 1
  6. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Yeah it really pisses me off watching something like a Yukon hybrid drive past with a C decal. I understand that they need to limit access to keep access limited, but they need to raise toll fees (which is in process), and have a tiered structure for C decals (something like a tiered system with guaranteed access for pure EVs, and then plug in hybrids, and then priority given based on total emissions or something, so that the dirtier hybrids eventually get kicked out).

• Like x 1
  7. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

So they added a pair of DC fast chargers at the Park City Transit Center in Kimball Jct. Two units each featuring CCS and CHAdeMO. Both units are claimed to be 50kW but I've only been able to get at most 39kW using the Tesla CHAdeMO adaptor. (97-100amps at up to 400v). They start out at low voltage (but still at ~100amps) and slowly climb up to 400v until they hit the taper. So you start at like 33kW and climb to a max of about 40kW before tapering.

Regardless they are free to use for the time being, which is nice.

edit: Also they apparently run WindowsXP. The first time I showed up one of the units had crashed and had the standard XP desktop on the display, fully touch functional. I could have trashed the filesystem had I wanted too. I restarted the unit from the start menu and it rebooted into the proper charging app.

• Like x 1
  8. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Thanks Fiver. Does anyone know if this is on plugshare yet?

9. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Yea, they updated the existing post. There's a pair of 32amp J1772 chargers that they put in last spring. They just added the DC ones.

I'd love some feedback if anyone can get above 40kW, Tesla CHAdeMO charger or another car that is native to CCS or CHAdeMO. Perhaps for some reason my car/adaptor combo just can't take the full 50kW.

10. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

As a software guy... I just... wow.. how... XP is nearly 20 years old at this point. How is (presumably relatively) newly written software using it?! It wasn't XP Embedded, right?

11. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

It was XP embedded.

12. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Ok, that makes slightly more sense.

13. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Well, there's definitely a customer Model 3 in Utah: https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/4426985?ad_cid=2

Are all the local owners able to configure now? I was able to get in a week or two ago, but am waiting for AWD (and to finish my home under construction).

14. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Am I the only one that is sad and disappointed that so many people are trying to flip these cars?

I know my friend who has a 90d Model S has already configured his.

15. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Nope. It just seems silly to me. By the time you account for sales tax and everything, you're probably not going to be making very much profit (unless you plan on taking the tax credit, which sounds pretty shady). And as a buyer, I wouldn't be willing to pay that premium to account for the other guy's sales tax AND my own sales tax AND not be eligible for the tax credit because it's no longer a new vehicle. At that price point, you're in Model S territory, easy.

• Like x 1
  16. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

As of last week there were three Model 3's in Utah. 2 were employee cars and one "normal" owner car. This is according to the sales staff in SLC. There might be more now as lots of people (myself included) got the invite to configure about 2 weeks back. I'm personally holding out for AWD (if I even get it, I do love my S).

17. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Also as a heads up. Next Tuesday (Feb 6th) Snowbird is having the ribbon cutting for it's new Destination Charging setup. Would nice to see some local's show up for support. If I recall it's 3 Tesla HPWC (load sharing a single 100amp line) and two 40amp J1772's. (and a few normal 12v outlets for longer term stays)

Link: Electric Vehicle Charging at Snowbird.

18. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

12v, eh? :)

I'm excited as more destination charger setups come in as high-amperage load balanced. Seems like in the best case scenarios people will charge must faster, and worst case it's the same as if they had multiple non-load balanced 30-40A chargers, which seem to be the norm for the few destination chargers I've looked at.

19. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Doh, 120v. :cool:

20. Krash

Krash Data Technician

I might be able to make it at 10:30 when it starts. Speaking of Snowbird, anyone see their one star ad?