Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions to all utah tesla owners. Im almost ready to pull the trigger on a new tesla. My questions are, is it more expensive to register or is pretty much the same? how did the tax credits work out for you if you bought new? How did it affect your insurance cost? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

First, welcome (almost) to the club. :)

Registering wasn't that bad (a couple hundred dollars) but the sales tax was painful. In fact, when I gave the lady at the DMV the papers she looked at them and said "What in the cat **** is this?!" Fortunately from now on I'll just have to pay registration.

I've not used the tax credits yet as I only bought last April. However the place that does my taxes (Gary York and Associates) said "No big deal". Just be sure to file the right papers at the right places.

And if you do much parking in SLC be sure to get the sticker that enables you to park free at parking meters in SLC. You can also drive in the HOV lane but there is a small charge for that.

Insurance was a big eyeopener for me. I've been with Allstate for decades but after seeing insurance related discussions elsewhere on these forums saying Allstate is one of the worst for Teslas I checked around and found Progressive (recommended on the forums) for nearly 1/5 the price for the same coverage.

Although you didn't ask I'll add that it's really nice to get up every day with a full "tank". Even better to see how much I've saved on "fuel" in the past 8 months (over $1,000).

Oh, and for everyone, if you'd like to see a Model X, stop by the SLC Tesla store. I was there yesterday and they had 5 they wee preparing for delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: tony b
First, welcome (almost) to the club. :)

Registering wasn't that bad (a couple hundred dollars) but the sales tax was painful. In fact, when I gave the lady at the DMV the papers she looked at them and said "What in the cat **** is this?!" Fortunately from now on I'll just have to pay registration.

I've not used the tax credits yet as I only bought last April. However the place that does my taxes (Gary York and Associates) said "No big deal". Just be sure to file the right papers at the right places.

And if you do much parking in SLC be sure to get the sticker that enables you to park free at parking meters in SLC. You can also drive in the HOV lane but there is a small charge for that.

Insurance was a big eyeopener for me. I've been with Allstate for decades but after seeing insurance related discussions elsewhere on these forums saying Allstate is one of the worst for Teslas I checked around and found Progressive (recommended on the forums) for nearly 1/5 the price for the same coverage.

Although you didn't ask I'll add that it's really nice to get up every day with a full "tank". Even better to see how much I've saved on "fuel" in the past 8 months (over $1,000).

Oh, and for everyone, if you'd like to see a Model X, stop by the SLC Tesla store. I was there yesterday and they had 5 they wee preparing for delivery.
Patrick. Awesome. Thanks for the response. Im gonna look at progressive. Just did a quote with geico whom im with and my 6 month payment went up 200 bucks. Not much but if i can get cheaper i will.

Just pulled the trigger. Now on to the wait. FOr any of you did you guys put xpel on your MS and if so how much did you go with?
I know that member Denarius had his wrapped in Las Vegas before driving home. I would highly recommend one of the shops here in Salt Lake called Luxe Auto Spa. They actually are the company that does the new car delivery details for all Teslas here in Utah.

On my first Model S, I wrapped just the front of the car with Xpel ultimate. As expected, any small thing that happened, happened behind the wrap. So I'd end up paying a bunch of money to have things buffed out or fixed. My next delivery I wrapped the entire thing. The wrap was expensive, but paid for itself when my wife moved our snow blower (Which I park inches away from). This resulted in the front bumper getting a 4 inch scrape and orange paint transfer. It did not penetrate the wrap. So it ended up costing me $100 to redo that piece of Xpel vs several thousand dollars to replace the bumper and match paint. It also keeps the car looking new since swirls heal.

For me, wrapping the car is well worth it. If you don't mind swirl marks, or small dings, then maybe it won't matter to you. It is really just another form of insurance.

All EV drivers are invited to our EVs and Coffee this weekend! I plan on doing this every other week, and we can move from location to location.

Beans and Brews
7157 Bingham Jct Blvd, Midvale, UT 84047

9:00 am
1/30/16