Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah's Mighty 5 with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
utah_promo_hz_mighty5_20141.png

Five iconic national parks equal one epic bucket list adventure.
This is how Utah’s Office of Tourism describes their Mighty 5® 10 day itenary of breathtaking national parks and another set of National Monuments and unique state parks too. I used EVTO to follow their 10 day itinerary, along with a few more stops too, and made a tutorial on when, where and how to charge.

route_map.jpg

So even if you don't use EVTO for your trip planning, you can follow along and just use my suggestions with your own car.

Route Planning: Utah’s Mighty 5® with EVTO

Reactions: ModelX
Thanks for putting this together. It has given me some ideas on future trips to southern Utah and places to charge. Most helpful.

One small item that you might want to look at is some of the examples showed a NEMA 10-30 outlet. I have never seen one of these in an RV park before. My guess is that the 30 amp outlets are really TT-30 (120 volt - 30 Amp). You need a special adapter for this one and it is rather slow to charge your Tesla.

Make sure you always ask for a 50 amp outlet at any RV park and this will be a NEMA 14-50 (240 volt 50 Amp outlet).

One small item that you might want to look at is some of the examples showed a NEMA 10-30 outlet. I have never seen one of these in an RV park before. My guess is that the 30 amp outlets are really TT-30 (120 volt - 30 Amp). You need a special adapter for this one and it is rather slow to charge your Tesla.
I confirm I've always seen the same. Even on the newer combination pedestals, there's usually a 14-50, a TT-30, and a 5-15.

Reactions: eprosenx
My wife and I did much of this in February: Salt Lake City -> Capitol Reef -> Goblin Valley -> Arches -> Canyonlands then on to Colorado for skiing. We left Monument Valley, Bryce, and Zion for another trip. Did it all on superchargers. Some of the hiking was a bit cold, but no crowds!

Do not skip Goblin Valley. Truly wonderful. Also, when going through Bicknell, visit Bhinda's Curry Pizza. Quite excellent!