TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Utah's Mighty 5 with a Tesla

Discussion in 'North America' started by aesculus, May 31, 2018.

1. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

[​IMG]

Five iconic national parks equal one epic bucket list adventure.
    This is how Utah’s Office of Tourism describes their Mighty 5® 10 day itenary of breathtaking national parks and another set of National Monuments and unique state parks too. I used EVTO to follow their 10 day itinerary, along with a few more stops too, and made a tutorial on when, where and how to charge.

[​IMG]

So even if you don't use EVTO for your trip planning, you can follow along and just use my suggestions with your own car.

Route Planning: Utah’s Mighty 5® with EVTO

• Like x 1
  2. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Thanks for putting this together. It has given me some ideas on future trips to southern Utah and places to charge. Most helpful.

One small item that you might want to look at is some of the examples showed a NEMA 10-30 outlet. I have never seen one of these in an RV park before. My guess is that the 30 amp outlets are really TT-30 (120 volt - 30 Amp). You need a special adapter for this one and it is rather slow to charge your Tesla.

Make sure you always ask for a 50 amp outlet at any RV park and this will be a NEMA 14-50 (240 volt 50 Amp outlet).

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I confirm I've always seen the same. Even on the newer combination pedestals, there's usually a 14-50, a TT-30, and a 5-15.

• Like x 1
  4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Good point. I did call that out in one location for sure. I will update the tutorial.

• Like x 1
  5. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

My wife and I did much of this in February: Salt Lake City -> Capitol Reef -> Goblin Valley -> Arches -> Canyonlands then on to Colorado for skiing. We left Monument Valley, Bryce, and Zion for another trip. Did it all on superchargers. Some of the hiking was a bit cold, but no crowds!

Do not skip Goblin Valley. Truly wonderful. Also, when going through Bicknell, visit Bhinda's Curry Pizza. Quite excellent!

• Informative x 3