Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utility Rate Plans Where are they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F0ADCDE4-EC34-4B87-BDE6-39DDD6B3D2D9.jpeg
I just set mine up. I was getting tired of setting my alarm to change my peak hours….

The bigger difference that I would want in the "Arizona situation" is the ability to zero grid draw during Peak instead of exporting all solar and powering the house only from batteries. This means that I would want the solar to go to house loads if available during Peak hours instead of being exported. Probably a check box for "Minimize Peak Demand" would be appropriate to add to the UI and algorithm.
While solar is being exported to the grid there can't be any energy drawn from the grid, so I guess what you mean is that you want the house loads to be covered by solar as much as possible and then draw the remaining load from the batteries if available to keep the grid draw to zero. But if there is more solar than the house load, do you want it to be exported to the grid or charge the batteries?

While solar is being exported to the grid there can't be any energy drawn from the grid, so I guess what you mean is that you want the house loads to be covered by solar as much as possible and then draw the remaining load from the batteries if available to keep the grid draw to zero. But if there is more solar than the house load, do you want it to be exported to the grid or charge the batteries?
Yes, I meant that during solar generating Peak hours, the battery discharge would be less because the solar would not be exported. If there is more surplus solar than household use, where the surplus would go would depend on the SOC, current time of day, and energy forecast. There would be good reasons to put that surplus into the battery for later use, or exported for NEM credit, depending on the situation.

Don't know if anyone else is having the same behavior or if it is just a fluke, but since this feature has become available my charging is discharging is behaving more like it did on balanced than it does on cost savings.
I don't want to speak to soon and cant necessarily compare to balanced (as historically used cost saving) but post utility rate plan eligibility I'm getting exactly the behavior I want:
  • Set up plan last night broadly matching actual rate structure
  • Powerwall did not discharge during over night off-peak period but kicked in at 5am for morning peak
  • Most solar produced in 5am-9am peak was sent to grid (initially the small amount produced was used to power home but at no time was it used to recharge Powerwall)
  • After 9am solar was prioritized for charging Powerwall with power being drawn from grid as needed
  • No Powerwall draws during 9am-5pm off-peak and at 100% by start of 5pm-9pm peak...
Hopefully the AI does not learn something form this and change behavior

I don't want to speak to soon and cant necessarily compare to balanced (as historically used cost saving) but post utility rate plan eligibility I'm getting exactly the behavior I want:
  • Powerwall did not discharge during over night off-peak period but kicked in at 5am for morning peak
  • Most solar produced in 5am-9am peak was sent to grid (initially the small amount produced was used to power home but at no time was it used to recharge Powerwall)
  • After 9am solar was prioritized for charging Powerwall with power being drawn from grid as needed
  • No Powerwall draws during 9am-5pm off-peak and at 100% by start of 5pm-9pm peak...
This was the same behavior I observed this morning on our system, just what I wanted to see.

Reactions: scotsmanswan
For me prior to this update cost savings will prioritize all solar to first charge the battery during the morning off peak with the house solely using the grid. Only after the battery is completely charged will solar then go to the house with excess going to the grid. While Balanced would first have solar supply the house with excess solar charging the battery.

After this update solar goes to both the house and battery during the morning off peak on cost savings. It behaves more like balanced did.

Admittedly only two days of experience so far, but with the new flexible unlimited (essentially) ability to set various levels of peak, off-peak - plus the ability to but in $x.xx buy and/or sell amounts it feels fairly tunable. I seem to now be able fully set things so my system uses the Solar to Run House/Charge Battery/Send-back-to-grid exactly during the windows I wish. Using Peak and Mid-Peak, and by filling in sell-back values for each different window based on the behavior I want to see. Honestly I couldn't be more happy with these changes (assuming no more surprise changes in behavior).

Admittedly only two days of experience so far, but with the new flexible unlimited (essentially) ability to set various levels of peak, off-peak - plus the ability to but in $x.xx buy and/or sell amounts it feels fairly tunable. I seem to now be able fully set things so my system uses the Solar to Run House/Charge Battery/Send-back-to-grid exactly during the windows I wish. Using Peak and Mid-Peak, and by filling in sell-back values for each different window based on the behavior I want to see. Honestly I couldn't be more happy with these changes (assuming no more surprise changes in behavior).
A quick question for those with this capability: Can it be set seasonally? My utility has different rates summer/winter. Luckily the times stay the same (except for some nuanced issue on my older rate plan that is still based on the old daylight savings model).

A quick question for those with this capability: Can it be set seasonally? My utility has different rates summer/winter. Luckily the times stay the same (except for some nuanced issue on my older rate plan that is still based on the old daylight savings model).
Yes, see attachments. We have the same challenge here in Arizona, where we have winter with multiple peak rates on the same day, separated by non-peak windows on the same day which was a nightmare because of the significant demand penalties for using ANY peak power. And We have two other summer seasons with different Peak schedules and rates. This should cover it all.

IMG_E92AC6189833-1.jpeg
IMG_E0C80AC1AE95-1.jpeg

Last edited: