Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utilizing old 40A electric stove circuit for Tesla charging..?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a spare 40A circuit previously used for electric stove. Now since we switched to gas stove and have a Tesla, can I just utilize the existing 40A breaker, wire and relocate the 50A electric receptacle to install a 240v circuit near the panel for the EV charging? I plan to limit the charging to around 25A only. Anything I need to check specifically?

It is likely either an older 10-50 or a newer 14-50 receptacle. (Difference is one has a safety ground connection, the other doesn't.) You can buy a 14-50 adapter for the mobile connector (UMC) from the Tesla store. Or a 10-50 UMC adapter from evseadapters. Current is limited to 32 amps - so is fine for a 40 amp circuit.

I can tell what you would be needed in the U.S.

1. Assuming you have four wires (hot-hot-neutral-ground) purchase a commercial / industrial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you have only hot-hot-ground then get a NEMA 6-50
  2. Label it as a 40 amp outlet
  3. Replace the existing breaker with a GFIC 40-amp breaker (GFIC is required in the U.S.)
  4. Buy the Tesla 14-50 (or 6-50) adapter for the UMC

A 40-amp circuit is limited to a continuous load of 32-amps (40-amps * 80% = 32-amps). The UMC is internally limited to 32-amps, which works out perfectly. You should be able to plug-in the UMC into the outlet and the car, and see a charge rate of 32-amps

I can tell what you would be needed in the U.S.

1. Assuming you have four wires (hot-hot-neutral-ground) purchase a commercial / industrial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you have only hot-hot-ground then get a NEMA 6-50
  2. Label it as a 40 amp outlet
  3. Replace the existing breaker with a GFIC 40-amp breaker (GFIC is required in the U.S.)
  4. Buy the Tesla 14-50 (or 6-50) adapter for the UMC

A 40-amp circuit is limited to a continuous load of 32-amps (40-amps * 80% = 32-amps). The UMC is internally limited to 32-amps, which works out perfectly. You should be able to plug-in the UMC into the outlet and the car, and see a charge rate of 32-amps
I have a Grizzl-E EV charger and the instructions specifically say not to use a GFCI breaker as the charger itself has that protection and won't work if you have a GFCI breaker. I have a Bryant receptacle installed and it works perfectly fine. Mine is a 50amp breaker but since I have a Model 3 SR+, it does top out at 32A. I have the 50 amp for future proofing for if we decide to purchase a second EV.

I have a Grizzl-E EV charger and the instructions specifically say not to use a GFCI breaker as the charger itself has that protection and won't work if you have a GFCI breaker. I have a Bryant receptacle installed and it works perfectly fine. Mine is a 50amp breaker but since I have a Model 3 SR+, it does top out at 32A. I have the 50 amp for future proofing for if we decide to purchase a second EV.
I believe that they are mentioning the GFCI breaker because National Electrical Code requires it. If you want avoid that extra expense, install a direct connection charger (EVSE).

Reactions: ATPMSD