Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utter disbelief at the yoke buttons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a Tesla apologist for the most part, but I'm astounded at the lack of physical buttons on the yoke.

Three weeks in, and I still need to LOOK DOWN to accurately press the horn and lights buttons. The turn signals, which have a physical divider between them, are only marginally better.

At no point should I be forced to look down while driving to use the horn or lights, even for an introductory 'learning period'. This is profoundly unsafe, and I still can't believe Tesla went to market with non-physical buttons on the yoke. And true "buttons" aren't even needed - a slight elevation would've sufficed. Assuming that all future vehicles will have this, I can't help but think this is an epic fail, and I'm almost surprised that regulators haven't ruled it illegal.

I have a 7 seater LR on order with the yoke. I ordered it last July because my current MX lease expires in July, and that's now the projected delivery date. This will be my 3rd MX and I was really looking forward to the yoke (and still am) but your post and a video review does raise concern about two things: the non-physical buttons, and the need to use the screen to shift from drive to reverse.

I've got pretty big hands and assume I'll get the hang of where they are, but the fact that the horn is a button and it's only on one side really seems especially problematic in an emergency situation where you have to quickly and turn and honk. I understand these are capacitive buttons--will the horn blow if you hit the area with your palm? The rest of them aren't critical to me.

I did see someone comment that you can also inadvertently trigger a button by just brushing it. Has that happened to you?

What is your experience with the drive/reverse issue? Again, that would also seem to be problematic if, for example, you're making a K turn and need to get out of the way quickly. How does that work in practice?

Finally, I see some after-market yoke wheels for other models, but those appear to be for prior generation vehicles which still have physical buttons/stalks. Are you aware of any third-party yokes for the current MX?

There is no drive/reverse issue, it's easy to use. I haven't tried the 'predictive' function yet, which may make it even easier.

I've tried the palm thing to blow the horn, but it didn't work. I've brushed against turn signals, but more because of learning to turn the yoke.

Elon, if you're reading this: don't get me wrong, I like the yoke overall - it's fun to drive with. All you have to do is put some elevation under about 4 touch buttons. It doesn't have to be like a F1 steering wheel - just somewhere in between.
2017-Mercedes-F1-car-steering-wheel-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a Tesla apologist for the most part, but I'm astounded at the lack of physical buttons on the yoke.

Three weeks in, and I still need to LOOK DOWN to accurately press the horn and lights buttons. The turn signals, which have a physical divider between them, are only marginally better.

At no point should I be forced to look down while driving to use the horn or lights, even for an introductory 'learning period'. This is profoundly unsafe, and I still can't believe Tesla went to market with non-physical buttons on the yoke. And true "buttons" aren't even needed - a slight elevation would've sufficed. Assuming that all future vehicles will have this, I can't help but think this is an epic fail, and I'm almost surprised that regulators haven't ruled it illegal.
Agreed.. it’s tough.. especially switching between my older X and the new plaid daily.. the only buttons I find without looking down after 3,000 miles of use are the turn signals.. I’m not overly concerned about the high beam being tough to find but hopefully they put an update to make the center of the yoke the horn like a normal steering wheel

• Love
Reactions: Surfer of Life
Agreed on all counts. Particularly the horn is something that engineers and managers involved in implementing should be fired over. Nobody with such terribly bad judgement should be an employee of Tesla. This isn’t a mistake… it was a deliberate act of idiocy. Engineering schools around the country should use this horn button as an example of the worst design concepts ever implemented in modern times by a serious company.

When do you need a horn? In an emergency or to prevent a collision. Expecting drivers to scan around on the yoke to find and press the tiny capacitive button for “horn” during an emergency maneuver is stupid on so many levels that it still shocks me. I can only believe that there was some terrible groupthink or a stubborn leader that insisted on this harebrained scheme.

💯

For me, there are only 2 fails with the yoke, but both are epic fails:
  • No turn signal stalk. With a stalk, you can engage the turn signals by feel. The buttons require a glance at the buttons.
  • Horn button. If you need the horn, you want to push the big padded thing marked "TESLA". Not a dinky button that's off to the side.
Both of these are serious safety issues. You may need them in an urgent situation; looking at controls wastes time and attention when you need to focus on driving.

I can live with everything else.

Agreed on all counts. Particularly the horn is something that engineers and managers involved in implementing should be fired over. Nobody with such terribly bad judgement should be an employee of Tesla. This isn’t a mistake… it was a deliberate act of idiocy. Engineering schools around the country should use this horn button as an example of the worst design concepts ever implemented in modern times by a serious company.

When do you need a horn? In an emergency or to prevent a collision. Expecting drivers to scan around on the yoke to find and press the tiny capacitive button for “horn” during an emergency maneuver is stupid on so many levels that it still shocks me. I can only believe that there was some terrible groupthink or a stubborn leader that insisted on this harebrained scheme.
Stubborn leader -- Elon. :)

Reactions: croman
💯

• No turn signal stalk. With a stalk, you can engage the turn signals by feel. The buttons require a glance at the buttons.
  • Horn button. If you need the horn, you want to push the big padded thing marked "TESLA". Not a dinky button that's off to the side.
Both of these are serious safety issues. You may need them in an urgent situation; looking at controls wastes time and attention when you need to focus on driving.

I can live with everything else.
I agree with the horn for sure… after a few thousand miles I’m no longer having issues finding the turn signals without glancing even when the steering wheel is rotated

I’ve actually been accidentally skipping songs when driving my older X now in an attempt to turn on the turn signal 😅

Reactions: DCGOO
The horn thing will be fixed, at least for cars made since November.

I find the yoke profoundly unsafe, and also an amazing SPOILER of fun :(

Looking for after market options, but considering selling the car before I put the trailer hitch + getting it tinted as well (not to send bad money after good) and hopefully not lose too much money with taxes, etc. :(

Reactions: FFCars
I find the yoke profoundly unsafe, and also an amazing SPOILER of fun :(

Looking for after market options, but considering selling the car before I put the trailer hitch + getting it tinted as well (not to send bad money after good) and hopefully not lose too much money with taxes, etc. :(
I want to get my X and FLIP it, mostly because our 2020 HAS a steering WHEEL and I should be able to make money on the new one, as locked in 25K under current price for same car. Even w/taxes and loosing some because not 'new' should make 10k. Yoke and lack of turn stalk are just idiodic.

Change for the sake of change is the easy way out and the worst kind of change as shown here.

💯

I hear ya. I'm a yoke lover personally. The only thing I hate about it is the horn button and lack of center push horn (def epic fail). Not being able to initiate a signal easily while mid-turn is annoying, but rare so probably the other thing I don't like.

I hear ya. I'm a yoke lover personally. The only thing I hate about it is the horn button and lack of center push horn (def epic fail). Not being able to initiate a signal easily while mid-turn is annoying, but rare so probably the other thing I don't like.
Can you take turns the same speed and comfort as you do with wheels?

If so, either you're lying, or you have strange arms hahaha

I just received my Plaid X VIN. The yoke is a joke. I plan to get a Hannshow wheel

and do Ryan Huber's mod to add M3/Y stalks for turn signal and gear selector.

Reactions: FFCars