Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UV Worked great on my badly yellowed screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my 2018 MX (received 6/2018) 100D yellow screen issue fixed via the UV Process just a couple of weeks ago at the Dallas SC. I live about 45 minutes away from the service center. I did not know the process took about 3 hours when I went to the appointment. They did offer an UBER ride home while they did it, but I did not want to spent 1.5 hours in traffic. Luckily I had my laptop in the car to keep me occupied while I waited, and there was a fast food place down the block to keep my belly full while I waited.
There was a slight chemical odor in the car when I got in, like curing resin, but it quickly went away by the next day.
They did not charge me anything - so it must have been on warrantee.

I went to a lawyer to check my assumption that tesla's position is bs, and he laughed and agreed. So it is covered, at least here in the Netherlands, but we are more conservative than the US.

The fix really works, the only question is if it will last, because it only treats the symptom, not the cause. I already said that if it does not, I will declare this a faulty repair and still claim warranty.

I had posted this in the main ‘yellowing screen’ thread, but think it’s worth posting here too. I had the service performed at the Syosset service center. My screen was in really bad shape as I mentioned above. The service was hugely successful and my screen looks 100%. I may be imagining this, but I’d swear the screen looks brighter, not just the edges, but the entire screen.

It’s really amazing considering how skeptical I was when I first heard of this approach, but it really works. This is absolutely preferable to screen replacement since most of those wind up yellowing again within a short time anyway.
This may be the way to go because they replaced my screen a year ago and it’s already yellowing. Now to find out if this process can be a DIY project.

Maybe I have missed the answer to this but does anyone know what causes the touchscreen to "yellow?" Could it be parking it in the hot sun all day or something else? I can't think of anything else but the car sitting in the hot sun all day, day after day, week after week, etc. OR is there another known cause? Thanks!

AA5D2086-9EED-4199-A62B-B99E67168CE5.jpeg
51ED6ABC-3B2C-439F-8D47-BB7B988DE920.jpeg
My 2016 Model S is in the San Antonio service center right now getting the UV fix and a few other warranty items.

Here is the before picture. I’m excited to see the results tomorrow when I pick it up!

Fantastic results.... btw, I love the Vanilla Ice picture on your One Hit Wonders stream :D... so what you're saying is:

"If there was a problem
Yo, [Tesla will] solve it,
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it"

My 17" touchscreen was considered the worst my service center ever came across, and they put this in writing in an email to me.

The yellowing is caused by atmospheric oxygen permeation into one of the LCD layers from the edge, which isn't completely sealed. Space Shuttle cockpit displays had the same issue, if it makes anyone feel any better. The UV reconditioning is pretty nifty - I had not heard of that before.

I'm not quite sure if it's due to oxygen into the LCD in tesla's case. UV would not be able to reverse that issue if oxygen did get into the polarizers etc.

It looks like incomplete cure of the LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) that's used to bond the LCD to the touch panel and subsequently the cover glass. The photoinitiators in the liquid OCA can oxidize over time if they haven't all been consumed. The yellowing just looks like incomplete cure due to bad QA (unsurprising). It's probably a 310-340nm UV led with high intensity. For anybody that's interested here are some of the common tools to cure the UV liquid OCAs https://dymax.com/light-curing-equipment/

I'm not quite sure if it's due to oxygen into the LCD in tesla's case. UV would not be able to reverse that issue if oxygen did get into the polarizers etc.

It looks like incomplete cure of the LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) that's used to bond the LCD to the touch panel and subsequently the cover glass. The photoinitiators in the liquid OCA can oxidize over time if they haven't all been consumed. The yellowing just looks like incomplete cure due to bad QA (unsurprising). It's probably a 310-340nm UV led with high intensity. For anybody that's interested here are some of the common tools to cure the UV liquid OCAs https://dymax.com/light-curing-equipment/
Tesla has suggested that the UV fix is not permanent, but maybe it was just CYA language just in case. Because if it's an incomplete cure, it seems like the UV treatment should be a permanent fix, and I really hope that's the case.

The yellowing is caused by atmospheric oxygen permeation into one of the LCD layers from the edge, which isn't completely sealed. Space Shuttle cockpit displays had the same issue, if it makes anyone feel any better. The UV reconditioning is pretty nifty - I had not heard of that before.

You probably have worked on Space Shuttle program b4
Anyway, this yellow around the edge of LCD also happens on smart phones before. An iPhone forum discussion Apple replaced LCD of iPhone 5 (with yellow or green edge lcd) five years go.
User mixanikosgr in this forum mentioned UV fix (4th post from the top) for smart phone lcd back in 2015:
Yellow tint on edge of screen

Tesla has suggested that the UV fix is not permanent, but maybe it was just CYA language just in case...
It's exactly CYA language, ... CTA language in this case. Anyone hardware guy who is working in engineering should know this. It simply because Tesla does not have enough time to see the long effect of the fix. Tesla engineers probably came up this fix (bandaid solution) at beginning of this year. After a few months of beta test, now they are sending the tool to every sc. Since no one else have done this before, they just don't know how long the improved result will last. The core of the problem is at the LCD factory/supplier. I bet Tesla is having a headache with their LCD suppliers.

Reactions: CSFTN
Seems that Tesla latest policy is try the UV treatment first. If it does not cure the problem, they will replace your screen under warranty.

Problem seems that even if they replace your very expensive screen there is always the possibility that it will yellow as well. Don't think they are doing any more 2nd replacement.

Field reports seem to indicate that the UV treatment is pretty effective.

I chatted with my local service center today. They stated it would cost $40 for a one time courtesy fix for the yellow band. What I don't like about this statement is: 1) They say it's a one time courtesy. How do we know how long this 'fix' will last? I don't want any limitations on future fixes and 2) They want to charge me $40 for the fix. This is unacceptable to me as this is obviously a defect, not a 'cosmetic' issue. My car is less than three years old and always garaged, rarely parked in the heat. Yet, I have the yellow band. I have filed a case with NCDS for an Arbiter to be assigned. We shall see what happens next.