Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V 10 Autopilot behavior change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What "innovation" are you talking about? Moving the car away from the semis for no reason is the innovation I can live without. Not sure why anyone would welcome a behavior like that but should be an optional setting if anything.

I might be guilty of enforcing some of this behaviour as I used feel my car was too close to trucks when passing them on the high-way and I disengaged the NoA by turning left to clear more space between me and the truck.
This is then interpreted as an "error" in the autopilot by tesla and the machine learning things correct for it.

Now after a while I trust the software a bit more and stopped doing this as I figured the car would not crash anyway, but if many people did what I did it might be used to train the network.

I like that the car gives semi trucks a bit of extra space now. My S is reportedly 77.3 inches wide, and many passenger vehicles are narrower. Semi trucks are 102" wide. They take up more lane space, so why not give them a few extra inches of cushion? I feel safer and I'd bet I actually am safer by doing so.

While I certainly do not dispute that giving large vehicles (semi truck, etc.) a wider berth... what I am concerned about - and I assume others as well - is the method AP uses to give this extra space.

When going slow, as in rush-hour traffic, it's hardly noticeable. However, when going at freeway speeds, the 'jerky' steering motion to get away from the semi is alarming. I don't find it 'scary' per se, but alarming would be a good adjective in my opinion. Scary is what is used by my passengers.

What I found truly scary was going between 2 large vehicles. Even at a modest 35mph, I felt the need to take over. I didn't, however, but was highly aware, and at the ready. When between 2 large vehicles (in this case, a large cargo van and a truck with a very large cargo trailer), AP was literally jerking back and forth. Extremely unnerving.

I just updated to 32.11.1 last night, so maybe they have already addressed this issue? I had to drive my truck today (cannot WAIT till I can reserve my Tesla truck!!), so no experience with AP with this update.

Again, I am not only for innovation (and willing to be a Beta tester), but for increased safety. Giving large vehicles more clearance is a good thing... let's just make it more 'comfortable' for the Tesla drivers and passengers. I'm sure Tesla is already working on this, or has already produced a fix! :)

One observation that I am still validating is that it only occurs in the left most lane. That would point to a very specific use case that has been discussed for awhile now. In California, there has been tremendous complaints about Tesla vehicles with AP engaged does not move over for motorcycles. They primarily split vehicles between the leftmost and adjacent lanes. This especially is a problem with large trucks. I can appreciate it isn't valid in all states, but will be appreciated where lane splitting is legal. In Texas, there is no law against it and does happen, but not as common as in CA. Also, as long as I have been following this group, many drivers have complained how close the vehicles get to semi trucks. Personally, I think that was more of a perception issue than an actual issue. But, it seems to address that as well. So, innovation...yes. As a software design lead, the innovation is very difficult to execute and will get better over time.
It is not limited only to the leftmost lane. I don't have an issue with code to allow for lane splitting, but I think part of that can be integrated into the code that already moves over if something encroaches into your lane.

It is not limited only to the leftmost lane.

Exactly. This has happened in all 4 lanes to me. It's actually less 'pronounced' in the far left lane (and maybe the far right lane as well, I just don't spend much time there o_O) due to only having traffic on one side of me. When in the middle lanes, if both side vehicles are encroaching, it's (as I stated) unnerving.

I might be guilty of enforcing some of this behaviour as I used feel my car was too close to trucks when passing them on the high-way and I disengaged the NoA by turning left to clear more space between me and the truck.
This is then interpreted as an "error" in the autopilot by tesla and the machine learning things correct for it.

Now after a while I trust the software a bit more and stopped doing this as I figured the car would not crash anyway, but if many people did what I did it might be used to train the network.

That’s not how the machine learning works. Tesla uses machine learning to identify objects, but *not* to define driving rules. Those rules are actually pretty basic and, as such, well-suited to being hard-coded in the software,

That’s not how the machine learning works. Tesla uses machine learning to identify objects, but *not* to define driving rules. Those rules are actually pretty basic and, as such, well-suited to being hard-coded in the software,

If I remember correctly from the autonomous day they treat all human input as error and try to correct for it. Either via the object recognition NN or the driving rules. So I was not precise but it would still be entered into the general "driving model" they have as an error that need to be corrected.