Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10.8 UI: navigate-on-autopilot button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this button the same old “navigate on autopilot” button from pre v10.8/v11?
What exactly is it’s function for FSD Beta (v10.8)? Does highway navigation still requires me to push this button?

Attachments

• D4BF133F-799B-4902-8BFE-E1C8023CA622.jpeg
    D4BF133F-799B-4902-8BFE-E1C8023CA622.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 4,581
  • 2E0720C3-E511-4BA9-BBC7-E73772DE61EE.jpeg
    2E0720C3-E511-4BA9-BBC7-E73772DE61EE.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 1,029
Is this button the same old “navigate on autopilot” button from pre v10.8/v11?
What exactly is it’s function for FSD Beta (v10.8)? Does highway navigation still requires me to push this button?

Yes, it is the same navigate on autopilot button from before. They just changed the size and look of the button. The button needs to be blue or "on" in order to use NOA on the highway. There is an option in your AP settings to keep the button on by default, I think. I usually have it on all the time so I don't need to push it when I want NOA on the highway.

Reactions: yurmix
I have noticed that this button/icon appears occasionally— and on other drives does not. What exactly does it signify? I have EAP, and whether I am navigating on a street or highway, it may or may not be present on the screen.

I have noticed that this button/icon appears occasionally— and on other drives does not. What exactly does it signify? I have EAP, and whether I am navigating on a street or highway, it may or may not be present on the screen.
"Once enabled, the Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map’s turn-by-turn direction list whenever a navigation route is active and the route includes at least one controlled-access highway. When enabled, the Navigate on Autopilot button is blue and the turn-by-turn direction displays the Autosteer icon next to the maneuvers (such as off-ramps) that Navigate on Autopilot will handle."

Reactions: ArtK
"Once enabled, the Navigate on Autopilot button appears on the map’s turn-by-turn direction list whenever a navigation route is active and the route includes at least one controlled-access highway. When enabled, the Navigate on Autopilot button is blue and the turn-by-turn direction displays the Autosteer icon next to the maneuvers (such as off-ramps) that Navigate on Autopilot will handle."
Thank you 😊

AP is just lane keeping and adaptive cruise control. NOA will automatically take off ramps on highways and also do auto lane changes to follow a route on the highway and to pass slow traffic.
Thanks. So when I’m on the highway and I double tap down on my stalk, which one am I getting? Is it that I will always get AP and only when conditions are right I get NOA? If so what are those conditions?

Thanks. So when I’m on the highway and I double tap down on my stalk, which one am I getting? Is it that I will always get AP and only when conditions are right I get NOA? If so what are those conditions?

You know you are on NOA because there will be 1 blue line in the middle of the lane on the screen. When you are in AP, you will see 2 blue lane lines.

NOA needs to be activated in settings and the NOA button in the nav directions needs to be blue.

NOA only works on divided highways.

Reactions: M JR
New owner here...so...if all is set properly as noted above, when would you double press the stalk?
When you're on the on-ramp? Will the car navigate the on-ramp and merge safely even in heavy traffic?

In the example video above, NoAP (NOA) does mean you can double press down the right stalk while on an on-ramp. Whether it will safely merge into heavy traffic is a big “it depends” on the circumstances.

Over time and experience, you’ll get familiar with when and how much to trust AP (Autopilot), NoAP (Navigate on Autopilot), and FSDb (FSD beta). It’ll become somewhat second nature as you double press that stalk, reflexively push up the stalk to cancel AP when the car starts to even threaten weird behavior, navigate a tricky “edge-case” (like the English language, driving has many more exceptions than rules), then double press the stalk to re-engage AP when safe again.

Reactions: PVia
Thanks...I asked because yesterday I tried it for the first time. Double pressed the stalk on the on ramp, the car seemed to speed up quite a bit and started sounding alarms and flashing red on the screen. I immediately disengaged before the end of the ramp. There was traffic about 100 feet ahead on the ramp and the first lane to the left was packed with cars.

I had assumed that NOA would just mosey along on the ramp and find a safe place to merge into traffic. I'll try it again later...