Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 and Voice Commands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I’ll give it another chance. Maybe I need to pay attention to my exact phrasing.
It just seems lately when I hit the button the delay before I can speak (the ding) takes a LONG time. Are you guys “holding” the button or a single press.?

Just a press and wait for the microphone to beep, speak, then hit button off. Yes, at times the mic spins and spins. Reboot usually fixes it.

Thanks. I’ll give it another chance. Maybe I need to pay attention to my exact phrasing.
It just seems lately when I hit the button the delay before I can speak (the ding) takes a LONG time. Are you guys “holding” the button or a single press.?

If had no problems before the update, I’m not sure why you’d have problems now. It Has to be the update unless you’re doing something totally different which I doubt.

It used to (start playing the song automatically) with US cars using slacker. Now that V10 added spotify, the search function searches spotify (not slacker) and no longer starts playing the music (which I think is the behavior European cars have always had).
Went from V8 to V10 yesterday. I tried it this morning, and yes it no longer just starts playing the song. Another downside of V10. I did beat my car at chess last night, so it's not all bad.

• Funny
Reactions: AustinP
My wheel only spins and locks up the phone and or music audio. V10 did nothing to restore mine, nor the two updates since then. I got one of the very last MCU1's in 2018. we got an update and the trouble started. 8.16??? some one had when the trouble started for us. I can receive calls no problem.

If i press the button I only get the spinning wheel for up to a minute. I can open and close the drivers door to stop it, and return to music.

Push the button a second time I may as well reboot the car. the audio system will be locked out in the car.

I have had the car in twice for it and they just say "Oh Reboot the car". they did do a parrot Card re-flash and that didn't work either.

I'm beyond pissed off with this hopeless issue. Feel like I cant do anything with music anymore.

If the wheel just spins when you press the voice command button, it is not reaching the server. As I understand it, the voice command only works when the car reaches the internet and the server that processes the voice. It may be that your problem is with your LTE card/cellular connectivity.
The good news is that you can do plenty with music, you just can't do a voice search for music, so it is a big annoyance (which needs to be fixed) but it is not a complete disaster.

If the wheel just spins when you press the voice command button, it is not reaching the server. As I understand it, the voice command only works when the car reaches the internet and the server that processes the voice. It may be that your problem is with your LTE card/cellular connectivity.
The good news is that you can do plenty with music, you just can't do a voice search for music, so it is a big annoyance (which needs to be fixed) but it is not a complete disaster.

Is the voice command wireless? Blue tooth? I'm in NoVa. so no internet issue for signal strength. But it would be a hardware issue, correct?

Is the voice command wireless? Blue tooth? I'm in NoVa. so no internet issue for signal strength. But it would be a hardware issue, correct?
The voice command is trying to reach the Tesla servers while you see that wheel spinning. It uses the car’s 3G or LTE or WiFi connection. (Not insider info, just a guess).
Once established, it prompts you to talk.
If it never stops spinning, it might be indeed a connection issue.
You mention you have good internet connectivity. Have you tried when connected to a WiFi (home or whatever WiFi you can provide) ?

Reactions: drklain
I can open and close the drivers door to stop it, and return to music.
In my car, I can cancel the spinning by clicking on the “menu” button : the one on the steering wheel, below, on the right side.

I do have sometime that endless spinning when there is poor internet connection. Usually cancelling and retrying works immediately (unless I’m in a really bad area)

I’ve searched all over these threads and can’t find a thread like what I’m experiencing.

Simply put, when I try to play music via voice commands, the car only searches, never actually plays a song. It just brings up a search box. To its credit, the search usually finds what I want...just doesn’t actually play it.

I’ve tried “Play song by artist” or “Listen to song by artist” even “Play artist”. Someone told me to list the song first then artist. I’ve tried everything. To no avail, it only searches, never plays.

When I test drove a car, it played on command. I know there’s a lot of discussion around playing songs multiple times with slacker or playing specific songs but this is different.

How do I get my car to play music based on a voice command? Is everyone else able to play songs via voice command? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,