Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 and wireless phone charger disables my front USB ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like V10 (32.2.2) disables my front USB ports after using Wireless phone charging pad. It comes back next day and then disables again. After two attempts, it is shut down completely, and never come back.

I have tried soft/hard reboot, turn of power, nothing helped. I have a service appointment next week, and wish someone in this forum has same issue and have a work around, so I don't need take a trip to service center.

BTW, I am now connecting the Charging pad from central 12V socket. But I need get the front USB ports working again for my Dashcam.

Many thanks.

Same here (32.11.1). With splitter it worked, but after v10 I had exactly the same behaviour. Worked for a bit, than stopped, to never start again.

Looks like it is common problem with V10. You need 12V extender cord and a 2port 12V USB adapter. Connect the charger pad from 12V socket.

But we still need get the USB port work again . Tesla shall tell us how to re enable it . Rather than have everyone visits service.

I have a nomad, and after further testing it seems to be a power problem after all. Yes, now the disk on the splitter works, but the contactless charging on that side doesnt. Looks like a "first come first served" kindoff deal. Ah well, splitting USB has always been frowned upon in PC world too..
Afterthought, Tesla should have made the ports more powerfull to begin with.

I have a nomad, and after further testing it seems to be a power problem after all. Yes, now the disk on the splitter works, but the contactless charging on that side doesnt. Looks like a "first come first served" kindoff deal. Ah well, splitting USB has always been frowned upon in PC world too..

For me, the power with front USBs shut down completely. Did you find that the power in front USBs shut down in one point. And come back later?

I am one release software behind you, may be that I need upgrade 1st.

I
For me, the power with front USBs shut down completely. Did you find that the power in front USBs shut down in one point. And come back later?

I am one release software behind you, may be that I need upgrade 1st.
I never had a complete shutdown. But electricity is like that, it needs a peak before staring (an old fashioned bulb needs much more peak power than running power) and Nomad pads have their own battery buffer negating that. This makes my observation non-scientific.
BUT. with the nomad and their spltter it works (if you put the disk/stick on the marked port)
Case remains: no prob with v9, issues with v10

I

I never had a complete shutdown. But electricity is like that, it needs a peak before staring (an old fashioned bulb needs much more peak power than running power) and Nomad pads have their own battery buffer negating that. This makes my observation non-scientific.
BUT. with the nomad and their spltter it works (if you put the disk/stick on the marked port)
Case remains: no prob with v9, issues with v10

Nomad wireless pads haven't had a battery buffer for quite a while now. At least a half year.

Tesla has pretty much always had this caution in the Model 3 manual:
"Note: Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player."

Kind of assumed it was related to sharing the power. With v10 we have now have an extra camera recording to TelsaCam.

I have TapTes Gen 2 with no issues. Make sure to use the correct "side" of the splitter. You need to use the skinny side to power the charging pad. The thicker side is power+data and the skinny side is power only.

Make sure to try this first. Also this isnt a V10 problem because it happened to me before the update. I returned my first wireless pad after it 'broke' both my front USB ports (which ended up working again few hours later). Unfortunately my Taptes doesn't work with the splitter either and Sentry mode USB, so all i have is left side wireless charing pad, right side USB, no splitters.