Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a list of location types where it works consistently well, and conversely, a list of location types where it should absolutely not be used? It would be helpful if Tesla provided this upon wide release..

Summon was tested in 5 lots....

All from the 200 foot restriction.... 3 were in different empty lots with medians forcing the car to navigate around them. The car in all cases worked perfectly..... 2 other lots (Home Depot and Cracker Barrel restaurants) with minor traffic flow from patrons and cars.... In both cases the car did move slowing and did stop for patrons/cars. Both times it worked perfectly, but we also didn't give the car too much to dodge. In both cases, we car was backed in so that it didn't have to back out of the slot.... We also didn't give it allot to have to drive around.

Until we see another update that effects SUMMON, I would park where I know the car has the most direct path with few obstacles.

I got a random notification today that my camera calibration was complete and something to the effect that I could now activate NOA in Autopilot settings.

It was of course already turned on because I had used it yesterday. I guess maybe my cameras recalibrated on their own? Odd. Anyone else get this?

I've had V10 since Friday - just FYI

I've been testing Enhanced Summon and I'm fairly impressed with this stage of development. I've tested it in 3 parking lots. My word of advice is start testing it in simple empty parking lots then increasing the difficulty. It seems ok with low to moderately busy parking lots. This is not ready for Black Friday at the mall. It will be at some point, just not today.

I just got version 10 (2019.32.11) and did some test drives. I have a January 2017 Model S, AP2, paid for FSD. Summon is truly amazing. First time I tried it, it wouldn't back out of the parking spot. I moved to a different parking lot and tried again. I didn't think it would do anything, so I held the button on the app without really checking if anyone was coming, it backed out of a parking spot and started driving toward me about 100 yards away. A car came up from behind me and had to stop because my car was now in the middle of the lane. I was ready to run over and apologize to the other driver when my car turned, drove around the car and came all the way to where I was standing and stopped. I was amazed. I didn't get a video of it but will try again later today.

The Homelink button in the app says there is no car connected even though the car opens and closes my garage door every time I come and go. Driving is getting more smooth, less ping ponging around in the lane. Lane changing is smooth. Does not recognize stop signs or stop lights. Makes me touch the wheel more often, every 11 seconds if I'm using the accelerator pedal instead of every 20 seconds, it even locked me out when I didn't touch the wheel right away. Shows some cars driving toward me on the other side of the street but not all of them. The pictures of the cars no longer jump around, very stable and shows different shapes of trucks, cars, pedestrians and bikes.
Here is a long, unedited, cellphone video of my first drive home from work on version 10.

Hmmm could it be related to Spotify and other media other than bluetooth streaming? I'll check again my settings after I'm off work to verify.
The v10 web page explicitly refers to Bluetooth. I don't see it on my car either though (using an iPhone):

Bluetooth Media Improvements
When playing media from a connected Bluetooth device you can now browse playlists directly from the touchscreen. Bluetooth streaming has also been improved to display album art from your device and support a 48 kHz sampling rate for better audio quality.

Traditionally, I tended to drive that way: not signaling until I spotted my opportunity to actually move. But my wife retrained me: “turn on your indicators so people know you’re trying to get over.” And she was right!
Indeed.

Signaling "essentially as part of the turning" is a bad pattern that unfortunately has apparently become the norm for many drivers.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
V10 download just in time to celebrate my first year as a Model 3 owner! (Delivery on 9/30- barely made it into the 3rd quarter sales data in 2018.) Spent the first 20 minutes testing out the Caraoke, then headed down the block to a nearly empty parking lot to try out Smart Summon.

Some controls are intuitive and others require more instructions, so thanks to all you TMC people for posting your experience and thoughts! I was surprised how smoothly the car moved, and quicker than I thought it would. Not happy the car backed out of a diagonal parking spot and moved against the intended flow of traffic. It also showed no regard to the parking spot lines, but as the lot was nearly empty, maybe that isn't a concern? The car signaled when turning, and adjusted its path to stop directly in front of me. Tested both Come to Me and Park to Target. While I thought Summon was more of a party trick, I can see Smart Summon working for people with a physical disability, when carrying gear (or a kid), and in a downpour. And it is only going to get better!

Reactions: StealthP3D
Quick video on my first impressions of Enhanced Summon. Video is still processing. You can watch it in 4K in a few minutes but for now it's probably 480p until YT finishes doing it's thing.
Watched many videos Friday Night up to about 3 in the morning. Yours my friend were just awesome. The car's action was amazing but your actions were much better.

This is the dashcam video of my first attempt at using the new Tesla Advanced Summon with Autopilot Version 10 (2019.32.11). I have a January 2017 Model S, AP2, FSD. First time I tried advanced summon, it wouldn't back out of the parking spot so I moved to a different parking lot and tried again. The "Come To Me" feature didn't do anything. I didn't think advanced summon would do anything, so I held the button on the app without really checking if anyone was coming. My car backed out of the parking spot and started driving toward me about 100 yards away. A car came up from behind me and had to stop because my car was now in the middle of the lane. I was ready to run over and apologize to the other driver when my car turned, drove around the car and came all the way to where I was standing and stopped. I got a message that it was, "pausing for a pedestrian." I didn't walk in front of it so it kept going until I stopped it a few seconds later. I was amazed.

I would politely disagree. Traditionally, I tended to drive that way: not signaling until I spotted my opportunity to actually move. But my wife retrained me: “turn on your indicators so people know you’re trying to get over.” And she was right! There is likely to be some courteous driver in that seemingly impenetrable lane of cars that will back off a bit to create a gap for me to move into. Obviously, not everyone will respond that way, but you only need one. And this seems to have worked well for me with NOA too.

I have a long commute from a fairly rural location into the heart of a city known for aggressive driving. I would say your wife's strategy works ok as I start my commute. Not so much as I approach the city.

I get it though - the courteous way was how I was taught to drive. But that was suburban Atlanta in the early 90s. I had to change my style when I started driving in Boston. I think the challenge for the AI is to adapt itself to local driving cultures as well as local road design idiosyncracies.

This seems to imply that each car eventually will need to learn independently, something it's not capable of doing today. Everyone's driving habit is averaged out as Tesla trains its master NN with all of our data.

Did a 120 mile round-trip drive today, 95% freeway, did one enhanced summon in a parking lot. My view:

3c0hdp.jpg

Smart summon: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

TACC Improvements: TACC is smoother. This is just about the only thing in this update that looks like a significant improvement.

AP/NOA Improvements: Not impressed. NOA tried to change lanes into another car 3 times, one time it didn't even abort, I had to take control. Nav routing is still subpar, Waze outperforms it every time. NOA constantly picks the wrong lane to be in, including trying to pass another car when the exit it needs to take is imminent. On multiple occasions it would not vacate the passing lane, I had to do it manually. Still has hundreds of map errors with incorrect lane maps, incorrect speed limits, incorrect exit and entrance ramp placement. It still won't properly allow traffic entering the freeway to merge in front when traveling in the right lane, always have to take manual control and brake to allow someone to merge.

Theater/YouTube/Hulu: Have no idea when I'd watch anything here. Most supercharging stops are bathroom, food, etc, not waiting in the car. Plus very few superchargers have WiFi, so no opportunity anyway.

Caraoke: ? No idea when I'd use that.

More video games: ? I don't think I've ever started up a single game on the car's screen. I have games on my phone if I need to waste some time, so no need.

Restaurants & Destinations: Maybe the "I'm Hungry" might be useful at some point, but if I don't know where I am, that means I'm likely on a road trip, and what I will need is a supercharger, not a random restaurant. I don't know who has time for "I'm feeling lucky" to go kill some hours on a random outing. I'm in the car for a reason -- I need to get somewhere.

Spotify: Need a premium account, so have to spend $10 per month to get any features out of this. No compelling features for me anyway -- I don't need or use playlists. Plus it doesn't have sports, talk, and news, which is what I would be most interested in.

Sentry/Dashcam Improvements: Auto-delete of old sentry recordings and rear camera in dashcam are honestly two functions that should have been there from the beginning. So it's improved up to the level of an actual dashcam now. Congrats, it took months to arrive at a $50 value.

Joe Mode: Due to wind and tire noise, I already have trouble hearing the alerts in the car as it is, making them quieter is honestly a safety concern because I'd never hear them.

App/Remote Improvements: Window vent is a welcome addition. Not sure when I'd ever remotely use the homelink.

Old bugs: And, much to my disappointment, the following are still not fixed:
  • Auto high beams are still useless (doesn't function properly)
  • Auto wipers still useless (won't wipe frequently enough, then for no reason decides to wipe at maximum speed with no water on the windshield).
  • Auto climate control still runs recirc mode with low fan speeds, which greatly exacerbates the mold/mildew issue.
  • [Thats 3 different automatic systems that do not work properly, and need manual control at all times].
  • Side mirror reverse settings still do not work (mirrors don't return to driving position after shifting out of reverse)
  • Still can't set a cruise control speed that's below the posted limit (or below the limit that the car has from the incredibly inaccurate map database).

I'm glad that some of you are excited and happy with this update, I truly am. I cannot get on board, and am very disappointed and disiilusioned. I'm just very tired of having to fight with the car at every step within every system because it just doesn't work. I cannot demonstrate the car to anyone because they'd just laugh at the severity and quantity of bugs. I am 100% not impressed with v10.

Did a 120 mile round-trip drive today, 95% freeway, did one enhanced summon in a parking lot. My view:

3c0hdp.jpg

Smart summon: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

TACC Improvements: TACC is smoother. This is just about the only thing in this update that looks like a significant improvement.

AP/NOA Improvements: Not impressed. NOA tried to change lanes into another car 3 times, one time it didn't even abort, I had to take control. Nav routing is still subpar, Waze outperforms it every time. NOA constantly picks the wrong lane to be in, including trying to pass another car when the exit it needs to take is imminent. On multiple occasions it would not vacate the passing lane, I had to do it manually. Still has hundreds of map errors with incorrect lane maps, incorrect speed limits, incorrect exit and entrance ramp placement. It still won't properly allow traffic entering the freeway to merge in front when traveling in the right lane, always have to take manual control and brake to allow someone to merge.

Theater/YouTube/Hulu: Have no idea when I'd watch anything here. Most supercharging stops are bathroom, food, etc, not waiting in the car. Plus very few superchargers have WiFi, so no opportunity anyway.

Caraoke: ? No idea when I'd use that.

More video games: ? I don't think I've ever started up a single game on the car's screen. I have games on my phone if I need to waste some time, so no need.

Restaurants & Destinations: Maybe the "I'm Hungry" might be useful at some point, but if I don't know where I am, that means I'm likely on a road trip, and what I will need is a supercharger, not a random restaurant. I don't know who has time for "I'm feeling lucky" to go kill some hours on a random outing. I'm in the car for a reason -- I need to get somewhere.

Spotify: Need a premium account, so have to spend $10 per month to get any features out of this. No compelling features for me anyway -- I don't need or use playlists. Plus it doesn't have sports, talk, and news, which is what I would be most interested in.

Sentry/Dashcam Improvements: Auto-delete of old sentry recordings and rear camera in dashcam are honestly two functions that should have been there from the beginning. So it's improved up to the level of an actual dashcam now. Congrats, it took months to arrive at a $50 value.

Joe Mode: Due to wind and tire noise, I already have trouble hearing the alerts in the car as it is, making them quieter is honestly a safety concern because I'd never hear them.

App/Remote Improvements: Window vent is a welcome addition. Not sure when I'd ever remotely use the homelink.

Old bugs: And, much to my disappointment, the following are still not fixed:
  • Auto high beams are still useless (doesn't function properly)
  • Auto wipers still useless (won't wipe frequently enough, then for no reason decides to wipe at maximum speed with no water on the windshield).
  • Auto climate control still runs recirc mode with low fan speeds, which greatly exacerbates the mold/mildew issue.
  • [Thats 3 different automatic systems that do not work properly, and need manual control at all times].
  • Side mirror reverse settings still do not work (mirrors don't return to driving position after shifting out of reverse)
  • Still can't set a cruise control speed that's below the posted limit (or below the limit that the car has from the incredibly inaccurate map database).

I'm glad that some of you are excited and happy with this update, I truly am. I cannot get on board, and am very disappointed and disiilusioned. I'm just very tired of having to fight with the car at every step within every system because it just doesn't work. I cannot demonstrate the car to anyone because they'd just laugh at the severity and quantity of bugs. I am 100% not impressed with v10.
Interesting perspective. I agree with many of the things you mention.

However - the changes to autopilot in general are a game changer for me. NOA is worlds better, TACC is dramatically improved and even the positioning within a lane is improved to recognize cars around you that may be hugging the lane line. I've also noticed that it is starting to pick up on areas that it was struggling with before like determining the right lane line markers when going through an intersection. There are 4 of these trouble spots on my daily commute. It's handled 3 out of 4 of these successfuly since the update. Only one remaining intersection gives it trouble.

I mostly agree on everything else you mention. Smart Summon IS actually awesome though. I doubt I'll use it much in its current state which makes me agree with your parlor trick comment but that doesn't mean that it's not a super impressive display of technology. I'm actually blown away by it. Maybe I'm easy to impress. LOL

Reactions: Aellinsar
One things that seems odd to me. They are now showing us more information on the lanes around us - like dashed versus solid lines for the whole road.

But it seems odd to me that they don't display cars in lanes other than those immediately on either side of you. Surely it can see them right?

Reactions: bijan