Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a 120 mile round-trip drive today, 95% freeway, did one enhanced summon in a parking lot. My view:

3c0hdp.jpg

Smart summon: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

TACC Improvements: TACC is smoother. This is just about the only thing in this update that looks like a significant improvement.

AP/NOA Improvements: Not impressed. NOA tried to change lanes into another car 3 times, one time it didn't even abort, I had to take control. Nav routing is still subpar, Waze outperforms it every time. NOA constantly picks the wrong lane to be in, including trying to pass another car when the exit it needs to take is imminent. On multiple occasions it would not vacate the passing lane, I had to do it manually. Still has hundreds of map errors with incorrect lane maps, incorrect speed limits, incorrect exit and entrance ramp placement. It still won't properly allow traffic entering the freeway to merge in front when traveling in the right lane, always have to take manual control and brake to allow someone to merge.

Theater/YouTube/Hulu: Have no idea when I'd watch anything here. Most supercharging stops are bathroom, food, etc, not waiting in the car. Plus very few superchargers have WiFi, so no opportunity anyway.

Caraoke: ? No idea when I'd use that.

More video games: ? I don't think I've ever started up a single game on the car's screen. I have games on my phone if I need to waste some time, so no need.

Restaurants & Destinations: Maybe the "I'm Hungry" might be useful at some point, but if I don't know where I am, that means I'm likely on a road trip, and what I will need is a supercharger, not a random restaurant. I don't know who has time for "I'm feeling lucky" to go kill some hours on a random outing. I'm in the car for a reason -- I need to get somewhere.

Spotify: Need a premium account, so have to spend $10 per month to get any features out of this. No compelling features for me anyway -- I don't need or use playlists. Plus it doesn't have sports, talk, and news, which is what I would be most interested in.

Sentry/Dashcam Improvements: Auto-delete of old sentry recordings and rear camera in dashcam are honestly two functions that should have been there from the beginning. So it's improved up to the level of an actual dashcam now. Congrats, it took months to arrive at a $50 value.

Joe Mode: Due to wind and tire noise, I already have trouble hearing the alerts in the car as it is, making them quieter is honestly a safety concern because I'd never hear them.

App/Remote Improvements: Window vent is a welcome addition. Not sure when I'd ever remotely use the homelink.

Old bugs: And, much to my disappointment, the following are still not fixed:
  • Auto high beams are still useless (doesn't function properly)
  • Auto wipers still useless (won't wipe frequently enough, then for no reason decides to wipe at maximum speed with no water on the windshield).
  • Auto climate control still runs recirc mode with low fan speeds, which greatly exacerbates the mold/mildew issue.
  • [Thats 3 different automatic systems that do not work properly, and need manual control at all times].
  • Side mirror reverse settings still do not work (mirrors don't return to driving position after shifting out of reverse)
  • Still can't set a cruise control speed that's below the posted limit (or below the limit that the car has from the incredibly inaccurate map database).

I'm glad that some of you are excited and happy with this update, I truly am. I cannot get on board, and am very disappointed and disiilusioned. I'm just very tired of having to fight with the car at every step within every system because it just doesn't work. I cannot demonstrate the car to anyone because they'd just laugh at the severity and quantity of bugs. I am 100% not impressed with v10.

That's a great write up, and its great to hear that TACC is smoother from someone who isn't over the moon about V10.

I'm also glad they seem to have mostly solved the dancing cars issue.

My major bummer with V10 is it seems like they still haven't addressed the issue where AP re-centers in the right lane during a merge section. It drives me bonkers.

As to Caraoke I wish people would stay mum about that feature. I might not want it or like it, but I foresee some friend or family member just loving that feature. Ughh.

I firmly believe that the wipers issue is car dependent. My wipers on my April 2019 Model 3 have been nothing less than flawless. I had one or two phantom wipes in my garage since I park 2-3 inches (literally) from the wall, but that's it. Out in the rain? Amazing.

Now, the demo Model 3 I had that was built in September 2018 was TERRIBLE with its wipers. Hopeless. I had that car overnight and I remember thinking to myself how disappointed I was with the wipers but that I had to get the car regardless.

So I firmly believe that these wiper issues are car specific. If anyone in the Seattle area with a Model 3 thinks their wipers suck, feel free to PM me and we can get together on a rainy day and we can compare.

Reactions: Aellinsar
Smart summon: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

AP/NOA Improvements: Not impressed. NOA tried to change lanes into another car 3 times, one time it didn't even abort, I had to take control. Nav routing is still subpar, Waze outperforms it every time. NOA constantly picks the wrong lane to be in, including trying to pass another car when the exit it needs to take is imminent. On multiple occasions it would not vacate the passing lane, I had to do it manually. Still has hundreds of map errors with incorrect lane maps, incorrect speed limits, incorrect exit and entrance ramp placement. It still won't properly allow traffic entering the freeway to merge in front when traveling in the right lane, always have to take manual control and brake to allow someone to merge.

Theater/YouTube/Hulu: Have no idea when I'd watch anything here. Most supercharging stops are bathroom, food, etc, not waiting in the car. Plus very few superchargers have WiFi, so no opportunity anyway.

• Auto wipers still useless (won't wipe frequently enough, then for no reason decides to wipe at maximum speed with no water on the windshield).
  • Auto climate control still runs recirc mode with low fan speeds, which greatly exacerbates the mold/mildew issue.
  • [Thats 3 different automatic systems that do not work properly, and need manual control at all times].
  • Side mirror reverse settings still do not work (mirrors don't return to driving position after shifting out of reverse)
  • Still can't set a cruise control speed that's below the posted limit (or below the limit that the car has from the incredibly inaccurate map database).
Smart Summon is a Beta and was released to get feedback and to show off what is possible. I'll never use it though until it's really done. I agree completely with you about NOA. It wants to change lanes too much and often stays in the passing lane or it gets me in the cruising lane and then want to move back into the passing lane right away. I think having Netflix and Hulu is great, and right now it uses the cell network. When it's wifi only, Tesla claims they will have it at all their Supercharging stations. High beams doesn't function like most people think, it doesn't turn on the high beams automatically. And I'm not sure what you're talking about with the side mirrors not returning to the driving position after shifting out of reverse, mine do.

I've never understood the rational behind forcing TACC to match the database speed limit. There are too many errors and sometimes you do want to be slower. Do you know about the workaround to get TACC to match your current driving speed instead of jumping to the database speed limit? You can set the TACC relative speed offset to -20 and in the vast majority of situations where you are driving below the speed limit, it will stay at your current driving speed.

model S on 2019.32.11 gave me a garbled digital noise / backup camera screen and Tesla / About screen today - Lots of weird menus not rendering properly or showing stuff on prior tab. I rebooted the screen - seems to be gone for now. Never seen that before.

The v10 web page explicitly refers to Bluetooth. I don't see it on my car either though (using an iPhone):

Bluetooth Media Improvements
When playing media from a connected Bluetooth device you can now browse playlists directly from the touchscreen. Bluetooth streaming has also been improved to display album art from your device and support a 48 kHz sampling rate for better audio quality.

Okay I just tested this. When connected via Bluetooth you can browser playlist on your phone but I wasn't able to select any of my songs from the playlist.

IMG_0275.jpg

The tracks are not clickable.

This is a screenshot of my USB drive with music loaded on it and I was able to browser and play music.

IMG_0276.jpg

Did a 120 mile round-trip drive today, 95% freeway, did one enhanced summon in a parking lot. My view:

Smart summon
: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

Thanks for the detailed review.

You may however want to try again at a different location. To come to any conclusion after one test that requires you to be only a few parking spots away, seems like an outlier. Granted, it always needs to work. Wouldn’t want to have it partially work and then need to run out to the parking lot. But possibly it was a communication or GPS issue with your phone/vehicle. You may also want to try the come to target as well.

Last edited:
Another autopilot benefit I noticed last night while driving home. There was a car that pulled infront of me while I was following another car (follow distance set to 3). The car that entered my lane was maybe 2 car lengths ahead of me. When the car was fully positioned in my lane, my 3 kept pace and gradually increased its follow distance from the car that pulled infront of me. In past situations, the car would brake more aggressively to quickly get to that ideal follow distance. Overall, the smoothness is much better in the day and a half that I've used autopilot and NoA.

Reactions: Electroman
I finally had a chance to spend more time out on the open road testing AP and NoA. Overall, things are improved. Lane changing is much more responsive as is auto start from a stop. I did notice that the visualization of on coming traffic is not 100%, I.e., if a stream of cars is coming at you they system does not represent all cars in the visualization - meaning some cars are either not seen or able to be rendered in real time (hopefully the latter). I haven't noticed "dancing" cars yet, so hopefully that one is in the rear view mirror. As an aside, we picked up our 2020 Outback Limited XT a few days ago (Our hauling large loads or heading into remote parts car). Surprisingly, their new auto steer/lane centering and dynamic cruise control works similarly to AP (not NoA). Auto start from a stop works as it should, surprisingly... One difference in implementation is that the Subaru will alert and disengage (as the Tesla does), when it loses sight of the lines, but the Subaru automatically reengages when sight is restored/line required. With the Tesla, you have to manually reengage by slapping the stalk down twice. The Tesla AP is more refined and handles curve better, currently. The Subaru also tries to emulate the Telsa "big UI," but has too many layered menus. On the plus side, the Subaru UI connects to wifi and checks for firmware updates - how frequently it will receive updates is unknown at this time. Still more testing to do with v10 and the new Outback driving aids. The good news is that FSD-like tech and safety features are becoming more widespread. That's good for all.

3c0hdp.jpg

TACC Improvements: TACC is smoother. This is just about the only thing in this update that looks like a significant improvement.

Caraoke: ? No idea when I'd use that.

More video games: ? I don't think I've ever started up a single game on the car's screen. I have games on my phone if I need to waste some time, so no need.

Restaurants & Destinations: Maybe the "I'm Hungry" might be useful at some point, but if I don't know where I am, that means I'm likely on a road trip, and what I will need is a supercharger, not a random restaurant. I don't know who has time for "I'm feeling lucky" to go kill some hours on a random outing. I'm in the car for a reason -- I need to get somewhere.

Spotify: Need a premium account, so have to spend $10 per month to get any features out of this. No compelling features for me anyway -- I don't need or use playlists. Plus it doesn't have sports, talk, and news, which is what I would be most interested in.

Sentry/Dashcam Improvements: Auto-delete of old sentry recordings and rear camera in dashcam are honestly two functions that should have been there from the beginning. So it's improved up to the level of an actual dashcam now. Congrats, it took months to arrive at a $50 value.

Joe Mode: Due to wind and tire noise, I already have trouble hearing the alerts in the car as it is, making them quieter is honestly a safety concern because I'd never hear them.

App/Remote Improvements: Window vent is a welcome addition. Not sure when I'd ever remotely use the homelink.

I'm glad that some of you are excited and happy with this update, I truly am. I cannot get on board, and am very disappointed and disiilusioned. I'm just very tired of having to fight with the car at every step within every system because it just doesn't work. I cannot demonstrate the car to anyone because they'd just laugh at the severity and quantity of bugs. I am 100% not impressed with v10.

Agree with you almost entirely . There are definite improvements over and under the hood but this was geared toward entertainment (which is well known) and unlocking of certain features SR+ / SR in preparation for subscription model. Using a web browser or streaming services in the car screen is over-consumption in my opinion if you already have a data plan on your smartphone.

NOAP is generally still quite risky in the real world unless used on a decent stretch on a highway with nothing but straight lane driving. Same for Summon - are they an excellent thought leadership in automobiles? hands down yes. Are they prime time? not even close.

Bluetooth audio management is still very poor. Songs are visible and clickable, which is nice, but only up to 250. Playlists are now visible but non-clickable. And you can't scroll even if there are not one but two scroll wheels available. This quirky design for media management amuses me.

And I don't think Tesla even acknowledges that the cruise control is broken to the point that it is dangerous. Often I found myself setting the cruise while driving at say, 45 mph, and the car accelerates to 65 mph and I have to vigorously reduce the speed using scroll wheels or apply brakes. The most idiotic cruise control design I have ever seen. And the worst part is that most Tesla lovers defend this as a feature.

That said, I actually really like Tesla's maps and general navigation and now that I can click on a destination (not sure why it wasn't done to begin with) I am very happy.

I have never had side mirror issue that you are describing. They tilt in reverse and they return to driving position accurately. Black reverse camera however was still present but it hasn't occurred since v10 so fingers crossed.