Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting perspective. I agree with many of the things you mention.

However - the changes to autopilot in general are a game changer for me. NOA is worlds better, TACC is dramatically improved and even the positioning within a lane is improved to recognize cars around you that may be hugging the lane line. I've also noticed that it is starting to pick up on areas that it was struggling with before like determining the right lane line markers when going through an intersection. There are 4 of these trouble spots on my daily commute. It's handled 3 out of 4 of these successfuly since the update. Only one remaining intersection gives it trouble.

I mostly agree on everything else you mention. Smart Summon IS actually awesome though. I doubt I'll use it much in its current state which makes me agree with your parlor trick comment but that doesn't mean that it's not a super impressive display of technology. I'm actually blown away by it. Maybe I'm easy to impress. LOL
Did a 120 mile round-trip drive today, 95% freeway, did one enhanced summon in a parking lot. My view:

3c0hdp.jpg

Smart summon: Parlor trick. Not especially useful. I was no more than 10 parking spots away from the car, and it refused to summon, saying I needed to move closer to the car. Moved to about 8 spots away, and it let me summon it, which took 45 seconds of zig zagging down a straight path. I literally could have walked to the car, loaded it, and driven back to where I was originally standing faster.

TACC Improvements: TACC is smoother. This is just about the only thing in this update that looks like a significant improvement.

AP/NOA Improvements: Not impressed. NOA tried to change lanes into another car 3 times, one time it didn't even abort, I had to take control. Nav routing is still subpar, Waze outperforms it every time. NOA constantly picks the wrong lane to be in, including trying to pass another car when the exit it needs to take is imminent. On multiple occasions it would not vacate the passing lane, I had to do it manually. Still has hundreds of map errors with incorrect lane maps, incorrect speed limits, incorrect exit and entrance ramp placement. It still won't properly allow traffic entering the freeway to merge in front when traveling in the right lane, always have to take manual control and brake to allow someone to merge.

Theater/YouTube/Hulu: Have no idea when I'd watch anything here. Most supercharging stops are bathroom, food, etc, not waiting in the car. Plus very few superchargers have WiFi, so no opportunity anyway.

Caraoke: ? No idea when I'd use that.

More video games: ? I don't think I've ever started up a single game on the car's screen. I have games on my phone if I need to waste some time, so no need.

Restaurants & Destinations: Maybe the "I'm Hungry" might be useful at some point, but if I don't know where I am, that means I'm likely on a road trip, and what I will need is a supercharger, not a random restaurant. I don't know who has time for "I'm feeling lucky" to go kill some hours on a random outing. I'm in the car for a reason -- I need to get somewhere.

Spotify: Need a premium account, so have to spend $10 per month to get any features out of this. No compelling features for me anyway -- I don't need or use playlists. Plus it doesn't have sports, talk, and news, which is what I would be most interested in.

Sentry/Dashcam Improvements: Auto-delete of old sentry recordings and rear camera in dashcam are honestly two functions that should have been there from the beginning. So it's improved up to the level of an actual dashcam now. Congrats, it took months to arrive at a $50 value.

Joe Mode: Due to wind and tire noise, I already have trouble hearing the alerts in the car as it is, making them quieter is honestly a safety concern because I'd never hear them.

App/Remote Improvements: Window vent is a welcome addition. Not sure when I'd ever remotely use the homelink.

Old bugs: And, much to my disappointment, the following are still not fixed:
  • Auto high beams are still useless (doesn't function properly)
  • Auto wipers still useless (won't wipe frequently enough, then for no reason decides to wipe at maximum speed with no water on the windshield).
  • Auto climate control still runs recirc mode with low fan speeds, which greatly exacerbates the mold/mildew issue.
  • [Thats 3 different automatic systems that do not work properly, and need manual control at all times].
  • Side mirror reverse settings still do not work (mirrors don't return to driving position after shifting out of reverse)
  • Still can't set a cruise control speed that's below the posted limit (or below the limit that the car has from the incredibly inaccurate map database).

I'm glad that some of you are excited and happy with this update, I truly am. I cannot get on board, and am very disappointed and disiilusioned. I'm just very tired of having to fight with the car at every step within every system because it just doesn't work. I cannot demonstrate the car to anyone because they'd just laugh at the severity and quantity of bugs. I am 100% not impressed with v10.

Great review. Agree almost entirely with your take on all of the non-driving changes. I guess I'm just an old fogey, but I'm not going to sit in my car to watch Netflix or Hulu. Having Spotify is great, I guess, but I've always been a Pandora man. I prefer to let someone else build my playlist based on my mood.

My limited experience with the driving updates are pretty consistent with what others have said with a few additions:

NOA:

Was looking forward to some great improvement, but alas, it is still not ready for prime time. The lane changes are a little smoother, but it still has the annoying habit of slowing down to make a lane change when the better course is to accelerate past a slow car before moving over. It also still has the terrifying habit of getting way too close to the guardrail when exiting from one highway to another from a single lane exit. This morning, all of the proximity sensors on the right side of the car flashed red and I was sure I was going to hit the guardrail. Way too scary for daily driving.

Auto Pilot:

To me it is like two steps forward and one step back. Some aspects are definitely smoother. I like the quick acceleration from a stop behind another car, but it can be a little jerky. While the car slows for curves, it now seems to slow more than is necessary. Not sure why they changed this. It seemed to work pretty well in V.9. Also, the behavior is unpredictable. Last night, on a down hill blind right hand turn, I had to take control to prevent the car from running off the road. This morning, on my normal commute, the car missed a turn and was 3/4 into the other lane before I could get control. Luckily, no traffic was coming the other way. And, as others have indicated, the nag screen comes up way more frequently than in the past.

Auto Hi Beams:

These actually work pretty well for me except that I notice that when I'm following another car, the high beams don't dim at what I feel is the appropriate distance and only dim once I'm close enough that the high beams must be annoying the other driver.

Just my $0.02.

Bluetooth audio management is still very poor. Songs are visible and clickable, which is nice, but only up to 250. Playlists are now visible but non-clickable. And you can't scroll even if there are not one but two scroll wheels available. This quirky design for media management amuses me.

Yes, it was a real downer when I saw my playlist truncated from songs "F" to "Z"....

NOAP is generally still quite risky in the real world unless used on a decent stretch on a highway with nothing but straight lane driving. Same for Summon - are they an excellent thought leadership in automobiles? hands down yes. Are they prime time? not even close.

And I don't think Tesla even acknowledges that the cruise control is broken to the point that it is dangerous. Often I found myself setting the cruise while driving at say, 45 mph, and the car accelerates to 65 mph and I have to vigorously reduce the speed using scroll wheels or apply brakes. The most idiotic cruise control design I have ever seen. And the worst part is that most Tesla lovers defend this as a feature.

This is very disappointing. I had high hopes that I can now engage NoA or TACC when my wife in the car.

Spotify allows seeking in a music track, skipping back to the previous song, and never plays some other song when you ask for a particular song. Already a spotify subscriber, these improvements have been dramatic for me over Slacker Premium.

Okay I just tested this. When connected via Bluetooth you can browser playlist on your phone but I wasn't able to select any of my songs from the playlist.

View attachment 461295
The tracks are not clickable.

This is a screenshot of my USB drive with music loaded on it and I was able to browser and play music.

View attachment 461296

I think track i clickable. You just have to wait few seconds for it to play.

Anyone else have a major regression in lane changing?
My highways (southwest US) use Botts' Dotts / buttons as lane markers instead of paint and it is throwing off the system.
About 1x/second, the lanes switch from 'broken lines' to solid on the screen, and when attempting an automatic lane change, when the lane-type changes back and forth from solid to intermittent, it swerves back to original lane. It went from a 5% failure rate to about 75% now :(.
I think this may be the regression Elon was referring to?

I haven’t been updated yet but once Netflix and YouTube revert to WiFi only (instead of the current free LTE), when you are not in a WiFi area you should be able to tether from your phone so you can watch things on the big screen, correct?

Anyone else have a major regression in lane changing?
My highways (southwest US) use Botts' Dotts / buttons as lane markers instead of paint and it is throwing off the system.
About 1x/second, the lanes switch from 'broken lines' to solid on the screen, and when attempting an automatic lane change, when the lane-type changes back and forth from solid to intermittent, it swerves back to original lane. It went from a 5% failure rate to about 75% now :(.
I think this may be the regression Elon was referring to?

You should file a bug report via the voice feature in the car when it happens.

I finally had a chance to spend more time out on the open road testing AP and NoA. Overall, things are improved. Lane changing is much more responsive as is auto start from a stop. I did notice that the visualization of on coming traffic is not 100%, I.e., if a stream of cars is coming at you they system does not represent all cars in the visualization - meaning some cars are either not seen or able to be rendered in real time (hopefully the latter). I haven't noticed "dancing" cars yet, so hopefully that one is in the rear view mirror. As an aside, we picked up our 2020 Outback Limited XT a few days ago (Our hauling large loads or heading into remote parts car). Surprisingly, their new auto steer/lane centering and dynamic cruise control works similarly to AP (not NoA). Auto start from a stop works as it should, surprisingly... One difference in implementation is that the Subaru will alert and disengage (as the Tesla does), when it loses sight of the lines, but the Subaru automatically reengages when sight is restored/line required. With the Tesla, you have to manually reengage by slapping the stalk down twice. The Tesla AP is more refined and handles curve better, currently. The Subaru also tries to emulate the Telsa "big UI," but has too many layered menus. On the plus side, the Subaru UI connects to wifi and checks for firmware updates - how frequently it will receive updates is unknown at this time. Still more testing to do with v10 and the new Outback driving aids. The good news is that FSD-like tech and safety features are becoming more widespread. That's good for all.
That's cool that the Subaru will re-engage once it finds the lines again. That's a feature that Tesla should consider implementing (at least as an option).

That's cool that the Subaru will re-engage once it finds the lines again. That's a feature that Tesla should consider implementing (at least as an option).

@turnem - I agree, and Tesla can easily do it too, if they want to! I was somewhat shocked that the Subaru accelerated from a stop like a driver would, not requiring me to "put in extra pedal"!

I also like how you can configure each Eyesight setting to your taste, including acceleration, as well. The driver monitoring system scans each driver and creates a profile, so when I get in the car, all of my settings are applied. When the wife gets in, her settings are automatically applied. No need to select profile from the UI. When you get in, you see a scanning message, then you're welcomed by name.

Edit: I did a quick review, with UI screen shots, in an old post I started a while back, if you're interested...
"Lane Keep Assist" - Telsa vs. Subaru Eyesight (My experience)

Reactions: turnem
I do think if Tesla is serious about Netflix etc in the car that it would be awesome to have 120hz displays in a Model 3 refresh. That would afford us true 24p playback. 60hz judder is just nasty (in addition to the frame drops/general lack of smoothness already present while Netflixing).

Unlikely to ever happen, of course.

I don't have an Apple Music subscription but only music loaded into my library on my iPhone and connected via Bluetooth. It could be a bug tho of not being able to play music from your playlist from the screen.
So, I tried again, and after switching back and forth between the "Phone" app and one of the other apps the playlist button finally showed up. And I can actually play songs on the list by tapping. Not something I expect to use much though now that we have Spotify.