Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 in Canada: No Enhanced Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy to get v10 today on my Aug 2019 Raven model S.

Was sad but not surprised to see that enhanced summon is NOT in the release notes. I’m hoping it’ll still come but I’m not holding my breath since Canadian regulators haven’t blessed other summon features in the past (in Canada we can’t use the key fob for summon for example).

Does anyone in Canada have enhanced summon?

No Enhanced Summon on my P3D.

Pretty disappointed and a little bit scared that we might not see it for a long time. The lack of communication is unsettling.

The lack of it is a local regulatory compliance issue. It's unsettling for sure, but similar to some Europeans lacking it, it's not Tesla's doing so on their own, but they are forced to. I'm sure it will arrive at some point in the future once countries regulators become comfortable with it.

I guess it's a question of countries begin more Risk Adverse than other countries.

Oh, I agree, and I think that beyond a parlor trick I don't actually think I'm going to be using it very often -- it's really not that hard to walk to your car. It's still a remarkable achievement and definitely a toy I'd like to play with when it does get here.

It's a shame we never got the keyfob summon which was blocked by regulators in Canada - I would argue that is a very good use of the technology when you need it most - eg in deep underground parking lots where parking is tight and you just want to get your car out.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I tried it for the first time yesterday in a relatively empty parking lot and a very simple maneuver (back out, turn left and drive straight to me). The car did it perfectly fine and my kids who were sitting in the car absolutely loved it BUT it was nerve-wracking the entire time and I kept stopping the car to make sure it wasn't getting too close to other cars, etc...

This is a cool feature for sure and kind of delivers on one of Tesla's earliest promises (first made back in 2012/2013) but at this point in time I can't see using it in a crowded parking lot. Even the most advanced tech cannot account for the stupidity of some people.

Reactions: ghostrunner
Happy to get v10 today on my Aug 2019 Raven model S.

Was sad but not surprised to see that enhanced summon is NOT in the release notes. I’m hoping it’ll still come but I’m not holding my breath since Canadian regulators haven’t blessed other summon features in the past (in Canada we can’t use the key fob for summon for example).

Does anyone in Canada have enhanced summon?
I have a 2016 75D and don't expect to get V10 anytime soon. But that's ok.

I'm confused about your comment that you don't have summon at all. I've had summon (as in go forwards or backwards while the key fob is close to the car) since I've had the car (got the car 3 months ago).

I have a 2016 75D and don't expect to get V10 anytime soon. But that's ok.

I'm confused about your comment that you don't have summon at all. I've had summon (as in go forwards or backwards while the key fob is close to the car) since I've had the car (got the car 3 months ago).

I haven’t tried it with this car but as far as I know Canadian Tesla’s can’t use just the key fob to make a car pull forward or backward, instead we require the app to do it (and the key fob needs to be within short range of the car, but the fob itself isn’t the summon controller). The problem with relying on the app is that the app and the car require a data connection, and you likely won’t have that in an underground garage, whereas the key fob controlled summon the American cars have works locally without data (as far as I recall).

Same story in the UK too. V10 on our Model S and Model 3. No smart summon.

We also need to have the key and use the app to simple summon the Model S.

liking the fancier line drawing for the driving visualisations though.

The lack of it is a local regulatory compliance issue. It's unsettling for sure, but similar to some Europeans lacking it, it's not Tesla's doing so on their own, but they are forced to. I'm sure it will arrive at some point in the future once countries regulators become comfortable with it.

I guess it's a question of countries begin more Risk Adverse than other countries.

That’s somewhat naive. These regulations does not depend on regulators being comfortable or risk adverse, but on the lobbying work by carmakers. Tesla having no lobbying activity in EU, this will change when leading EU carmakers will have a similar feature to defend. And this will not change as long as they are happy to prevent Tesla from selling the feature.