Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 in Canada - what will it come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's not good. Was it just the MCU that was affected? Or were the car operations borked as well?

It was both screens (MCU1) and the IP. Only the IP revived first (that's the one where I had the "Screens busy" message), but the big screen sat blank until I did the hard reset. The vents were working - sort of, but there was something odd about the car. Seemed to act like a full shutdown but didn't "wake" when I pressed the brakes.

Also, as an aside, I had rebooted shortly after the update on Saturday to see if I could get the rear camera to work - no luck.

36.2.1 has 10% of the Model 3 fleet updated.

upload_2019-11-11_10-0-9.png

Agreed. Nature of the beast. But you can't stop progress ;)

I'm adding a slight revision to my point about the insurance because I didn't come across the way I meant it:

The article says insurance MAY not cover this situation in a parking lot. Not that it wouldn't.

There are a tonne of ways insurance companies can already deny your claim: window tints too dark, not keeping up with regular maintenance (brakes, tires, etc...maybe not but I assume if I drive on bald tires with no brakes and they found out that they would deny any claim since it's my responsibility to keep the car road worthy), other modifications to the car, etc.

I just don't get why this incident freaks people out. It's a parking lot. People drive the 'wrong way' in them quite often on their own. No one posts videos of them that causes outrage (being a bit tongue in cheek there....I do get this looks bad, but people need to calm down :rolleyes:)

I just wonder what that whole ICBC story is based on. Does the law specifically say that the driver needs to be inside car? The person summoning still has control over the car so for me he or she is the driver

Edit: this is the definition according to the law
Motor Vehicle Act
"Driver" means a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle;

Since with smart summons you still physically control the car with the app, I don't think it is an issue in BC

Last edited:
Reactions: Vawlkus
Tonight when leaving work I tried snart summon to see what it did in a snow covered car where side sensors were covered and the parking lot (largely empty) was totally white.

I wondered if the car would even attempt to move or throw an error. Given it couldn't see any ground (everything was white) I was surprised it actually hit the wipers and inches forward. But then it proceeded to snake left and right very slowly. Poor car, it was like a blind wounded animal :)

I am curious though if they have had a chance to program snow mound recognition. When I was a teenager (only a few years ago ;)) I once ran over a curb because it was hidden in a snow covered parking lot at pretty high speed. I wonder who the unlucky persons to contribute to that part of the smart summon neural network will be :D

It was both screens (MCU1) and the IP. Only the IP revived first (that's the one where I had the "Screens busy" message), but the big screen sat blank until I did the hard reset. The vents were working - sort of, but there was something odd about the car. Seemed to act like a full shutdown but didn't "wake" when I pressed the brakes.

Also, as an aside, I had rebooted shortly after the update on Saturday to see if I could get the rear camera to work - no luck.

So, same situation tonight. I had the car plugged in, expected to start charging at 7pm when the cheaper rates are applied. I noticed I couldn't access the car via the app. I went out and sure enough it wasn't even charging. IP screen briefly showed "Please wait - screens busy" message, then it all went dark, pressing the brake pedal didn't start a boot up at all. Tried the scroll wheels as well - no luck. Unplugged the car (no errors showing at the car's charging outlet), pressed the brake and the car started booting up. All error messages cleared so I plugged the car back in and it's now charging without a problem.

I don't think this is a 12V battery problem, and it only started with 2019.36.2.1

I'll contact service in the morning and advise them of this.