Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 - Increased Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that it's -5 to -10 celsius at night I'm losing ~30km range overnight on my LR AWD. Charging complete at 440km in the evening, in the morning it's been 409 and 411.
That's just about 3.75km/h of battery drain. I'm very glad I didn't get an SR

Edit: Sentry is off, smart summon is not available in Norway.

Hey guys.
Discovered that i had vampire drain every night when parked @ home. Even with WIFI disabled in the car it tooks the m3 LR more than 2h after each drive to fall a sleep, draining about 1 KWH.
After removing the wifi network from the car there where no sleeping problems when parked @ home. Car fell a sleep within 13 minutes. So no disable but forgetting the wifi network is worth to try.

How do you confirm whether the car is asleep or not?

I compromise and turn Sentry on at night/off in the morning when its at the airport for extended stay, on the basis its late night when the car is most at risk. Annoying to have to remember but that's what my phone is for :) .. I've not worked out a way to automate the on/off process yet.
You could automate it easily with Tasker and the Tasker plugin for Android. I haven't done it, but just looked and found that the plugin supports turning Sentry on/off. If you don't have Tasker, I highly recommend it!

Saw that the picture was not visible. use these settings to avoid short stops are not registred (<5min).
Will fall asleep within 16-17minutes

1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: leeeeee
So I travel a lot, so I have a very consistent charging routine which gives me a good ability to track vampire drain.

Effectively, my airport parking lot has ChargePoint units installed. Unfortunately, there are four cars parked for every ChargePoint station, meaning 4 cars share 2 plugs. Since Teslas don’t lock the J1772, the staff routinely monitors the usage and unplugs my car after charging is complete (to 90%).

I don’t use Sentry mode when I park there because the stalls are huge and protected by poles and generally other EV drivers are courteous. Also, the drain with Sentry mode on is fairly significant. Given I typically charge when I arrive, I get unplugged within 12-24 hours and then my car sits.

For the last year, on V9, I’d routinely charge to 90% and even after two days unplugged, I’d arrive to a car that’s at 89%. However, since V10, my last two trips, I’ve been seeing huge losses. I was unplugged about 14 hours ago at 90%, and right now, I’m at 87% (first time I checked). I’ll update this post with more milestones, and I will only check the app every 6-8 hours:

Sentry off, cabin overheat off:
10/22/2019 - 808pm - Plugout = 90%
10/23/2019 - 955am = 87%

I did some monitoring at home last weekend with lower battery levels, and I didn’t see as drastic of changes, but I didn’t do very scientific testing, so it’s possible this is amplified at higher levels. I’ll do more testing and update this weekend. Other differences are my chareport is still open, not sure if maybe it’s keeping batteries warm because of that where as at home it wouldn’t be open. My home has Sentry blocked entirely, but the airport does not, I manually disable it shortly after parking via the app. Regardless, I didn’t have this problem before V10 (2019.32.12.2), and I park for multiple days at least 2-3 times per month.

Anyone else seeing similar things?
I own a M3 SR+ bought in April 19, everything was great until a few weeks ago. I park my car outside for 8.5 hours at work and I am losing 17 To 27KM or 10 to 17 miles of range over that period. The car did not used to do this. I have everything turned off and don't check it on the app. I have talked to Tesla and they said it is normal, but why the big jump, I used to lose 2 - 5km per day.
Anyone got any suggestions?

I own a M3 SR+ bought in April 19, everything was great until a few weeks ago. I park my car outside for 8.5 hours at work and I am losing 17 To 27KM or 10 to 17 miles of range over that period. The car did not used to do this. I have everything turned off and don't check it on the app. I have talked to Tesla and they said it is normal, but why the big jump, I used to lose 2 - 5km per day.
Anyone got any suggestions?

If you don't have your work location set or you have changed work locations then it could be Smart Summon Standby. Or you have not excluded your work from where Smart Summon Standby is disabled.