Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are about to reach 100 pages of discussion on a thread about media player bugs so any assertion that the media player issues are not affecting enough customers is quite silly really.

With all the games and toys being added, I hope they will also find some time to fix the USB music and other music player issues. Some of these issues are not just related to USB music playback. We used to be able to change audio sources by long pressing the previous track button on the steering wheel, and I'd love for this feature to be restored. It's super distracting to change audio sources while driving, especially when the media player doesn't really remember what was last being played on a certain audio source.

Comprehensive USB Bug List

Fixing the music player is the biggest enhancement they can make to the software IMHO.

I'm torn about V10. Expecting to be disappointed as a MCU1 owner.
Even v9 was design assuming FSD is complete, i.e. the driver can spend all the time in the world with eyes off the road. V10 seems to be the next step. Tesla UI is on schedule for FSD, sadly FSD is not. Tesla Service is also on schedule for 1 million mile cars (i.e. cars which requires no repairs for the first 1M miles), sadly Model 3's are overwhelming the service centers today even though the oldest ones are barely 1 year old. In other words, Elon believes his own hype, he thinks FSD is ready and drivers need distractions while the car drives them around, and SC's have way sufficient capacity since none of the new cars need service. He rejects the reality and substitutes his own when making decisions.

We are about to reach 100 pages of discussion on a thread about media player bugs so any assertion that the media player issues are not affecting enough customers is quite silly really.

The same 20 people saying the same things over and over again looking for resolution (or absent that commiseration) doesn’t really state anything about the overall customer impact (which I maintain is vanishingly small). Let’s face it, there’s a very high overlap between people who use the word “lossy” and vocal complainers. ( ;) )

I mean, I get it. This is your thing, and it’s frustrating when your one thing doesn’t work the way you want it to.

But it’s tiresome when this same vocal minority uses the announcement of ANY new feature or release to say “gee that sure is nice, but what about this completely unrelated thing *I* really want!?!”

We get it. Really.

Even v9 was design assuming FSD is complete, i.e. the driver can spend all the time in the world with eyes off the road. V10 seems to be the next step. Tesla UI is on schedule for FSD, sadly FSD is not. Tesla Service is also on schedule for 1 million mile cars (i.e. cars which requires no repairs for the first 1M miles), sadly Model 3's are overwhelming the service centers today even though the oldest ones are barely 1 year old. In other words, Elon believes his own hype, he thinks FSD is ready and drivers need distractions while the car drives them around, and SC's have way sufficient capacity since none of the new cars need service. He rejects the reality and substitutes his own when making decisions.

You may want to put on a helmet next time you pop your head around here! :)

The same 20 people saying the same things over and over again looking for resolution (or absent that commiseration) doesn’t really state anything about the overall customer impact (which I maintain is vanishingly small). Let’s face it, there’s a very high overlap between people who use the word “lossy” and vocal complainers. ( ;) )

I mean, I get it. This is your thing, and it’s frustrating when your one thing doesn’t work the way you want it to.

But it’s tiresome when this same vocal minority uses the announcement of ANY new feature or release to say “gee that sure is nice, but what about this completely unrelated thing *I* really want!?!”

We get it. Really.

^^^ this here is everything that Tesla Marketing needs in order to decide what feature to bring to the market:

Peasant Blockers

EEE3E2C6-D382-4910-ADEF-FF4D3031A6F8.jpeg

Apparently for some apologists, as long as their own limited world is unaffected and they can stream their compressed audio with their cellphone everything is fine.

Why be able to easily switch audio sources when you can just stream compressed audio from your phone they say but I bet they'd change their tune quickly if a bug is introduced that causes issues with being able to listen to their music.

We all enjoy all the fun toys added to our cars. A car that gets better with toys and games is one of the reasons we bought a Tesla.

All some of us are saying is to please not ignore the core functionality of the car and pay some attention to long standing bugs/issues that greatly affect the usability of the car for those affected. Music playback is a part of that core functionality.

Apparently for some apologists, as long as their own limited world is unaffected and they can stream their compressed audio with their cellphone everything is fine.

Why be able to easily switch audio sources when you can just stream compressed audio from your phone they say but I bet they'd change their tune quickly if a bug is introduced that causes issues with being able to listen to their music.

We all enjoy all the fun toys added to our cars. A car that gets better with toys and games is one of the reasons we bought a Tesla.

All some of us are saying is to please not ignore the core functionality of the car and pay some attention to long standing bugs/issues that greatly affect the usability of the car for those affected. Music playback is a part of that core functionality.

Again, I really do get it. But yes, I’d expect Tesla to prioritize a bug in the Bluetooth audio profiles because that’s what basically everyone uses, and I question the idea that usb music playback is “core functionality”. Frankly I’d be careful what I wished for in this regard, as I wouldn’t put it past Tesla to apply the “sunroof fix” to this problem so they can actually focus on core functionality...

Reactions: mikes_fsd

If being able to listen to your music in the car is not core functionality, I don't know what is :p

The thing here is that Tesla has done such a great job with the music player and needs to fix really just two small things to address most of the problems we are having. It plays my 240GB music collection flawlessly and the sound quality of uncompressed FLAC files is awesome.

If anyone likes jazz or classical music and has the Premium Audio Upgrade, source a few high quality FLAC files, stick them in a FAT32 formatted USB drive, and listen to some of your favorite music and you will appreciate why some of us love the option to play USB music.

While playlist support would be awesome, they just really need to load the contents of the USB drive once and not keep reloading it when you get in the car and resume music when you get back in the car. Both these issues should not be that hard to fix.

The music resuming issue is not just related to USB audio, as other audio sources are also affected.

And being able to switch audio sources worked in a previous software version and this is just restoring functionality that was broken.

The music player issues are not just all USB related. While they add fun software features that makes our cars so special, would be nice if they showed some love to the music player used by many of us almost 100% of the time we are in the car...

If they can fix the music player and perhaps add playlist and Spotify support,
I know you folks in the US really want Spotify, but the Tesla the implementation is awful.
For us that have it I'd say 50% of V9 updates break it, when it does work the functionality is nowhere near as good as on a phone or PC.
Spotify is regularly the cause of the MCU locking up and requiring a reboot.
It's so crap that I just don't bother most of the time and use a USB memory stick instead, which for all its usability faults at least works.

While playlist support would be awesome, they just really need to load the contents of the USB drive once and not keep reloading it when you get in the car and resume music when you get back in the car. Both these issues should not be that hard to fix.
FWIW, as reported in the main USB bug thread, for some of us USB resume started working correctly (most of the time) and the random needless rescans of the USB seemed to go away several months ago - I believe it was after one of the late v8.1 updates last year.

So maybe there's hope yet... On second thought, maybe not - the general inconsistent behavior of all these media player bugs is more likely a sign of general flakiness of its design

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
FWIW, as reported in the main USB bug thread, for some of us USB resume started working correctly (most of the time) and the random needless rescans of the USB seemed to go away several months ago - I believe it was after one of the late v8.1 updates last year.

So maybe there's hope yet... On second thought, maybe not - the general inconsistent behavior of all these media player bugs is more likely a sign of general flakiness of its design

I don't understand why this is such a difficult problem :( I have my same 240GB/~9000 track music collection in an SD card in my phone (Note 8) and also on a super cheap <$50 tablet (Amazon Fire) that I use as a media player and they both access the music in the SD Card and flawlessly resume my music in an instant.

The Android tablet has a fraction of the processing power of MCU 2.0 so this is not a processing power issue but an issue with the software implementation. They seem to access the USB drive in some flaky way that causes initialization issues when you get back in the car but this should be easy enough to fix. At times, the car does remember what song you were last listening to. Could this be as easy as waiting a few seconds for the USB drive to initialize when you get back in the car before the media player begins playing music?

I can unfortunately confirm needless "rescans" and "loading" happens most of the time I get back in the car and it's not fixed. Especially when I get in the car for the first time on a certain day or return to the car after a long period of time. When this happens, there is no music, and I have to wait a few minutes after the "loading" is done and then navigate the media player UI while driving to get the music to play :(

Perhaps it works if you have a small collection of music but the needless USB rescan issue is a persistent problem for me. I realize I have a few thousand songs but that's not such a big deal. I've had 200GB+ SD cards in several previous phones with my music collection and they've all been able to play and resume my music.

The media player is doing "too much" with the needless rescans and getting in its own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Actually I did notice that with the last update many songs I had on my USB I could play where previously they would say loading error, so they have fixed something at least.

There is a solution to load errors. If you "scrub" your music collection with a MP3 organizer like MediaMonkey, you can get it to clean up the tags and then encode everything in the USB drive to be either MP3 or FLAC based on the source format.

After I made sure all my lossless music is FLAC and everything else is MP3 at the high bit-rate VBR, I completely solved the loading error issue. It's possible they might have fixed whatever CODEC was causing the loading errors but at least there is a solution to this.

Unfortunately, I have not found any solution to the car indexing ("Loading") my music most times I get in the car and not resuming what it was playing previously. I've tried pausing music before leaving the car and all sorts of other methods but there is a bug that prevents the music from resuming and it is likely linked to the car needlessly scanning the music partition for a few minutes when I'm back in the car.