Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a solution to load errors. If you "scrub" your music collection with a MP3 organizer like MediaMonkey, you can get it to clean up the tags and then encode everything in the USB drive to be either MP3 or FLAC based on the source format.

After I made sure all my lossless music is FLAC and everything else is MP3 at the high bit-rate VBR, I completely solved the loading error issue. It's possible they might have fixed whatever CODEC was causing the loading errors but at least there is a solution to this.

Unfortunately, I have not found any solution to the car indexing ("Loading") my music most times I get in the car and not resuming what it was playing previously. I've tried pausing music before leaving the car and all sorts of other methods but there is a bug that prevents the music from resuming and it is likely linked to the car needlessly scanning the music partition for a few minutes when I'm back in the car.
FWIW i don't have problems resuming, but my music is all mp3. it also doesn't try to rescan particularly often. I use a usb to ssd connector though, not sure if that has any relevance

FWIW i don't have problems resuming, but my music is all mp3. it also doesn't try to rescan particularly often. I use a usb to ssd connector though, not sure if that has any relevance

How many audio tracks do you have?

I have about 9,000 audio tracks in my music drive. I am faced with the media player rescaning my music for about 3minutes if I return to the car after any appreciable period of time. This unfortunately means no music for that duration and I am then faced with navigating the music player menus while driving to get the music to resume :(

How many audio tracks do you have?

I have about 9,000 audio tracks in my music drive. I am faced with the media player rescaning my music for about 3minutes if I return to the car after any appreciable period of time. This unfortunately means no music for that duration and I am then faced with navigating the music player menus while driving to get the music to resume :(

only about 50gb / 2330 songs

Something miraculous happened today!

So I get back in my car and as usual, "Oh Sh!t. No music again." Sure enough, when I try to play USB music, I see the "Loading" message, where it is scanning my music library for no reason (nothing has changed with the USB drive). I figured I'll start navigating the music player menus after I start driving as usual but I was in for a nice surprise.

After the music drive was scanned or "loading" had completed, the music player automatically started playing my music! This has never happened before and I have not recently installed a software update.

Until they fix the needless USB drive loading/scanning issue, this would be such a nice compromise for now if after scanning the music drive, it can just resume playing what was playing previously.

What would be even better is if it does not needlessly scan the music drive and simply starts playing what was previously playing after the music drive is mounted and initialized but what happened today is a great interim solution.

It's going to feel like such a luxury when they fix the music player and I can count on USB music resuming reliably each time I get back in my car.

Wow, lots and lots of complaints for something that hasn't even been released yet!!!! Geeze. You all do know that you have the option to NOT update your car to V10 right? I'm mean, I know it's difficult and all, but really, it's just a matter of NOT doing it.

Not really: Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2
Also on a service center visit you might also be forced an update.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DCEV
I guess far less than 1% of customers use the USB audio player with any regularity. I’d bet 98% of owners have _never_ used it.

Count me amongst the 98% who’ve never used USB music. I always use Bluetooth from my phone. Still, the media app needs updating.

so much space on the screen, why can’t I get track number? Why can’t I get track time? Why can’t I get a scrolling track title if it’s too long to fit?

Wow, lots and lots of complaints for something that hasn't even been released yet!!!! Geeze. You all do know that you have the option to NOT update your car to V10 right? I'm mean, I know it's difficult and all, but really, it's just a matter of NOT doing it.

Yes not updating the car to V10 is a great solution to rather than fixing the media player causing so much angst for people who use it. :rolleyes:

Excuses by apologists notwithstanding, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the music player of a car to kindly resume the music reliably when you get back in the car.

The unneeded scan of USB driver is caused by unsupported tags in MP3 files.
Just clean your MP3s from any APE tag and only use ID3 tags.
It totally solved the issue for me.

This is not true, as I've already methodically cleaned my music library. Cleaning the tags and ensuring everything is FLAC or MP3 fixed all my load errors when playing music. The issue with needlessly scanning the music drive is a separate issue that is not fixed by scrubbing the tags, which I have done.

And this is not considering the fact that every other $40 Android music player can handle my music library and resume immediately with no issue. There is a initialization issue or bug in the media player that is causing the needless scans.

Reactions: shellderp
Count me amongst the 98% who’ve never used USB music. I always use Bluetooth from my phone. Still, the media app needs updating.

so much space on the screen, why can’t I get track number? Why can’t I get track time? Why can’t I get a scrolling track title if it’s too long to fit?

Not sure, whose what body cavity that 98% figure came from, but as you said yourself there are issues with the music player that affects not just those who listen to USB music. Let's try to agree that people listen to different music sources based on their needs and we should all be able to reliably listen to music in the car whether it is USB, streaming, or Bluetooth rather than the mentality "I'm not affected so I don't understand what the problem is."

And this is not considering the fact that every other $40 Android music player can handle my music library and resume immediately with no issue.
Not only that, mp3's that do not play in my Tesla (Loading error) I can take that same USB stick and put in either of the other two cars we have that support USB media and they play just fine...100% Tesla issue.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Not sure, whose what body cavity that 98% figure came from, but as you said yourself there are issues with the music player that affects not just those who listen to USB music. Let's try to agree that people listen to different music sources based on their needs and we should all be able to reliably listen to music in the car whether it is USB, streaming, or Bluetooth rather than the mentality "I'm not affected so I don't understand what the problem is."

To be fair, I think the point was more “this is why I think it’s not a priority for Tesla” vs “you shouldn’t be complaining about this”. They have limited resources, so have to focus on features that drive sales.

While I can understand frustration from, say, a fart app being released while USB music player functionality is broken, the fact is that said fart app was a wildly successful marketing move, where adding USB support would please some small number of existing owners and then fade away.

At some point, obviously, that minority becomes more vocal and the problem needs to be solved to prevent loss of sales from bad word of mouth(and lack of repeat buyers). Hopefully, with them already touching the music app a lot for v10, now will be the time they get to it, but I think the above is the reason they haven’t so far.

not sure when I expressed the mentality in the quotes...:confused:

This is not true, as I've already methodically cleaned my music library. Cleaning the tags and ensuring everything is FLAC or MP3 fixed all my load errors when playing music. The issue with needlessly scanning the music drive is a separate issue that is not fixed by scrubbing the tags, which I have done.
In my case, cleaning the tags solved in one go BOTH issues: loading errors AND unneeded scanning.
Let's say it can be true, depending on how lucky you are.

And this is not considering the fact that every other $40 Android music player can handle my music library and resume immediately with no issue.
Here I do fully agree with you.

Reactions: PhilDavid
In my case, cleaning the tags solved in one go BOTH issues: loading errors AND unneeded scanning.
Let's say it can be true, depending on how lucky you are.

Here I do fully agree with you.

How many songs do you have in your drive? It's possible that if the number of songs is small, that the "loading" happens quickly.

In any case, this minutes long "loading" step is unnecessary, as no other media player I have going back to an antiquated iPod from 2006 (that I upgraded with a 240GB drive), resumes music instantly.

While I can understand frustration from, say, a fart app being released while USB music player functionality is broken, the fact is that said fart app was a wildly successful marketing move, .....

I seriously doubt whether making a car fart induces many with the wherewithall to buy a $160k auto.
At my age I can and do the same thing without any inducements.....

I seriously doubt whether making a car fart induces many with the wherewithall to buy a $160k auto.
At my age I can and do the same thing without any inducements.....

As far as I can find, Tesla does not current sell any vehicle for $160k...

Also, my point wasn’t that that specifically causes people to get it. More that it catches attention and reinforces the fun, playful brand image.