Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotify isn't perfect either (MCU2). I had a track paused from yesterday, and it resumed a completely different track. It seemed to skip tracks until it gained connection.
To Tesla's "defense" I went from local wifi to LTE when resuming on my way out of my driveway, but that is a bug.

Does the USB player pull album art from the cloud?

At least for me, album art on USB sometimes works and sometimes doesn't based on the song. Sometimes even for popular artist/song combinations, I see no album art. I tried using an option to embed album art in the media file but it does not seem to be used by the media player. If anyone has any tips for getting album art to work reliably for USB music, please let me know.

The music not resuming issue also affects other sources besides USB music so hopefully they will get music resuming working reliably for all audio sources.

I really wish you could use a steering wheel button (long press previous track) to switch through audio sources and the music player will resume what was last playing for that particular audio source.

What's sad is that switching audio sources from the steering wheel used to work before a software update :(

Album covers embedded into MP3 files are NOT displayed by tesla media player; it looks them up on the internet.
Not in my experience. My library is entirely MP3 and all its embedded album art seems to be correctly displayed in the car, including a number of files with custom artwork eg audio files encoded from analog tape. Used to be a problem before but I believe they fixed it back in v8. The music player does seem to be finicky about embedded art size or format, however.

OTOH podcasts streamed from smartphone over Bluetooth to the car get their artwork downloaded over the air, often incorrectly (another example of a several year old bug in the music player: Humorous Album Art )

This has definitely not been the case with my 2017 Model S (MCU1) and my 2019 Model S (MCU2). I've listened to MP3 over USB with embedded album artwork regularly in situations where I do not have cellular service.
Obviously you can LISTEN to them! ;)
In my case, up to firmware revision 2019.12.1.1, in a non-cellphone area, it would play my MP3 displaying a blank cover art. Now I'm on 2019.28.3.1, and I did not yet have an occasion to play MP3 from USB in a non-cellphone area. Maybe they solved the issue with this firmware revision.
On the contrary FLAC files have always shown correctly the embedded cover (I know it is the embedded one, 'cause I'm using a few personalised .jpg images as covers) both in cellphone covered and not-covered areas.

Your mileage may wary.

Obviously you can LISTEN to them! ;)
In my case, up to firmware revision 2019.12.1.1, in a non-cellphone area, it would play my MP3 displaying a blank cover art. Now I'm on 2019.28.3.1, and I did not yet have an occasion to play MP3 from USB in a non-cellphone area. Maybe they solved the issue with this firmware revision.
On the contrary FLAC files have always shown correctly the embedded cover (I know it is the embedded one, 'cause I'm using a few personalised .jpg images as covers) both in cellphone covered and not-covered areas.

Your mileage may wary.

Wonder if I should convert all my MP3s to FLAC. Would doing this maintain the "sound quality" of the MP3s. I try to never convert my music to a format that will lose sound quality but I'm assuming convert 320 kbps MP3 will result in a FLAC file with the EXACT SAME sound quality? This way I can make sure all the music files have FLAC album art embedded.

Compared to the music not resuming, album art issues are something I can live with so if they can only fix one thing with the music player, I'd like them to fix music not resuming.

Wonder if I should convert all my MP3s to FLAC. Would doing this maintain the "sound quality" of the MP3s. I try to never convert my music to a format that will lose sound quality but I'm assuming convert 320 kbps MP3 will result in a FLAC file with the EXACT SAME sound quality? This way I can make sure all the music files have FLAC album art embedded.

FLAC is a lossless format, so there is no difference in sound from the source used to create the FLAC. Any loss that occurred (which is probably imperceptible) happened in the encoding from the content master to MP3.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mtndrew1 and DCEV
My FLAC files I made them myself, starting with the original CD and ripping it with EAC.
This is a lossless procedure, it means that what was on the original CD goes 100% into the FLAC.
MP3 is a loss procedure, meaning that (based on the rate of compression) only a fraction of the original goes into the MP3 file. Usually what get discarded are the parts that the human ear can not very well discern, therefore to many people in non-perfect acoustic environments with low quality reproducing gear the sound of a CD and that of the MP3 are the same; but reality is different.
Especially in a low noise car as Teslas, the difference from a high quality lossles FLAC and a standard compressed MP3 is appreciable.

My FLAC files I made them myself, starting with the original CD and ripping it with EAC.
This is a lossless procedure, it means that what was on the original CD goes 100% into the FLAC.
MP3 is a loss procedure, meaning that (based on the rate of compression) only a fraction of the original goes into the MP3 file. Usually what get discarded are the parts that the human ear can not very well discern, therefore to many people in non-perfect acoustic environments with low quality reproducing gear the sound of a CD and that of the MP3 are the same; but reality is different.
Especially in a low noise car as Teslas, the difference from a high quality lossles FLAC and a standard compressed MP3 is appreciable.

I absolutely notice a difference between the compressed MP3s and lossless FLAC authored from a quality master, especially for certain genres such as classical and jazz. I've bought FLAC versions of songs I already own for this reason.

This is one of the reasons why people pay more for Tidal streaming than for Spotify. If anyone here has invested in a quality audio system at home, do yourself a favor and listen to the same track on Spotify and then Tidal in 96 kHz/24 bit. Especially for jazz and classical music, you won't want to go back.

About

I find the premium audio system of the Model S handles high quality FLAC tracks exceptionally well.

This discussion is a bit moot though because the media player not resuming issue affects USB media regardless of MP3 or FLAC.

Reactions: f205v

This has been tested numerous times with a large variety of playback equipment and source material via ABX testing methodology. The vast majority of the population on the vast majority of music achieve transparency (inability to distinguish the MP3 from the original) well below the maximum standard bitrate of MP3 (320kbps). Typically, transparency is achieved in the range of 180-220kbps variable bitrate MP3 encoding. Look into the ABX work and other compression/quality testing at Hydrogenaudio.

Perform the tests with your choice of music samples. Select sufficient samples and perform sufficient iterations to establish a dataset that reduces small-sample randomness. This will allow you to discard conjecture as to what you are hearing.

I absolutely notice a difference between the compressed MP3s and lossless FLAC authored from a quality master, especially for certain genres such as classical and jazz. I've bought FLAC versions of songs I already own for this reason.

This is one of the reasons why people pay more for Tidal streaming than for Spotify. If anyone here has invested in a quality audio system at home, do yourself a favor and listen to the same track on Spotify and then Tidal in 96 kHz/24 bit. Especially for jazz and classical music, you won't want to go back.

Contrasting the lossy effects of MP3 to a lossless format requires the same source. Comparing Spotify (which is probably 44.1khz sampling at 16 bits per sample compressed to MP3 at some unspecified bitrate) to lossless 96khz sampling at 24 bits per sample is like comparing DVD to Blu-Ray.

There's also been some examination done into tracks from various genres of music. Things like "jazz" and "classical" are often hypothesized as being homogenous genres that are more difficult to compress. Neither of those conclusions have been supported by analysis.

Reactions: f205v
This has been tested numerous times with a large variety of playback equipment and source material via ABX testing methodology. The vast majority of the population on the vast majority of music achieve transparency (inability to distinguish the MP3 from the original) well below the maximum standard bitrate of MP3 (320kbps). Typically, transparency is achieved in the range of 180-220kbps variable bitrate MP3 encoding. Look into the ABX work and other compression/quality testing at Hydrogenaudio.

Perform the tests with your choice of music samples. Select sufficient samples and perform sufficient iterations to establish a dataset that reduces small-sample randomness. This will allow you to discard conjecture as to what you are hearing.

Contrasting the lossy effects of MP3 to a lossless format requires the same source. Comparing Spotify (which is probably 44.1khz sampling at 16 bits per sample compressed to MP3 at some unspecified bitrate) to lossless 96khz sampling at 24 bits per sample is like comparing DVD to Blu-Ray.

There's also been some examination done into tracks from various genres of music. Things like "jazz" and "classical" are often hypothesized as being homogenous genres that are more difficult to compress. Neither of those conclusions have been supported by analysis.

Yes, and the "vast majority" of the people also don't buy a Model S :p

Different people have different standards and requirements so it's great that the music player supports both MP3 and lossless FLAC music.

Like I said earlier, this whole discussion is moot, because the media player issues this thread is about affect both MP3 and FLAC music playback.

It seems V10 might represent media player changes and I hope fixing the music resuming reliably is one of those changes. So far after a software update, once after scanning the USB drive for about 3 minutes, music resumed automatically but this has not happened since then.

I'll update this thread if there have been any improvements with the music resuming or if I figure out some way to get the music to resume reliably.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilDavid

My music collection is also mostly FLAC with some MP3 that I have bought on Amazon. If you feel there would be no quality degeneration in converting the MP3s to FLAC, I will go ahead and do that so this way all the audio in the USB drive are all FLAC.

This will also allow me to test the theory that the Tesla music player always uses the album art embedded in FLAC files and if that is the case and all the music files being FLAC that will solve the album art not appearing for certain songs.

Now if we can get the music player to start music when I get in the car, all will be well :)

But V9 is still not bug free, I expect V10 will be a total mess for many months after release.

It seems they have fixed most of the issues with actually PLAYING the music. It's RESUMING that's not working quite so well...

I know they test software before release and I hope at least one person in their Version 10 test group listens to music via USB with a reasonably large collection of music.

I'll gladly send them my music drive if I could for testing so we can all listen to our music when we get back in our cars :)

Last edited:
Reactions: P100D_Me