Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a solution to load errors. If you "scrub" your music collection with a MP3 organizer like MediaMonkey, you can get it to clean up the tags and then encode everything in the USB drive to be either MP3 or FLAC based on the source format.

After I made sure all my lossless music is FLAC and everything else is MP3 at the high bit-rate VBR, I completely solved the loading error issue. It's possible they might have fixed whatever CODEC was causing the loading errors but at least there is a solution to this.

Unfortunately, I have not found any solution to the car indexing ("Loading") my music most times I get in the car and not resuming what it was playing previously. I've tried pausing music before leaving the car and all sorts of other methods but there is a bug that prevents the music from resuming and it is likely linked to the car needlessly scanning the music partition for a few minutes when I'm back in the car.

Any chance you can help out the technically challenged on how to scrub my music? I also have frequent loading errors when playing my music from the usb. It worked fine until about 6 months ago, and it's soooo aggravating that Tesla is spending so much time making more games but can't fix something like a simple usb player.

As far as I can find, Tesla does not current sell any vehicle for $160k...

Also, my point wasn’t that that specifically causes people to get it. More that it catches attention and reinforces the fun, playful brand image.

Ah, but you don’t live in Australia!. The taxes here include “luxury vehicle tax” on top of sales tax etc - the tax on an S is $30 - $40k and my potential invoice is AU$163k. Performance S is quite a bit more.

Perhaps I am an old fart but I don’t actually want a fun, playful image car - I would settle for one that works 99% of the time!

Reactions: kavyboy
Any chance you can help out the technically challenged on how to scrub my music? I also have frequent loading errors when playing my music from the usb. It worked fine until about 6 months ago, and it's soooo aggravating that Tesla is spending so much time making more games but can't fix something like a simple usb player.

I agree with you that they should devote some resources to fixing the music player that many owners use 100% of the time and the music player is an essential feature of the car apart from all the fun toys and games we all love.

It seems the media player software is a delicate flower of an application, as every other media player I've owned since the early 2000s have been able to play all the media formats I use without loading errors and resume music instantly.

While I'm still waiting for a solution to fixing the audio resuming and not needlessly scanning my music folder, I have been able to fix any and all issues related to playing individual music tracks. The media player would sometimes put up an error message that an audio file could not load and I no longer have this problem.

This is what I did:
  • I downloaded a program called Media Monkey.
  • I then formatted a high quality USB drive with a FAT32 partition. (This is the drive I use: https://amzn.to/31Lw1jD)
  • A very nice feature with Media Monkey is that it syncs your music collection in your preferred audio format. So whenever I plug in the USB drive used to listen to music in the Tesla, I can just press the sync button and it will update any changes automatically. I also have my 240GB music collection in an SD card in my phone and Media Monkey has an Android App that beautifully syncs my music with my phone, including playlists. Best of all, it can preserve the lossless quality of my music so when it syncs to my phone, Android tablet, plus the Tesla USB drive, everything is synced with no loss of quality.
  • So when you plug in the USB drive you will use in the Tesla, Media Monkey allows you to specify export settings. I use WMA Lossless and FLAC for my lossless media and a variety of other formats for compressed audio. To make it easier for the Tesla music player, I used the media conversion option of Media Monkey to convert all my music o either FLAC (for lossless music) and MP3 high bit-rate VBR for everything else. The resulting music collection of 9,000+ songs all play without any issue.
I'll try to remember to take the USB drive from the car, plug it in my computer and take a photo of the sync/export conversion screen so you see how I configured the export settings as well as the setting to clean up album art and tag information.

While they have a couple of bugs to fix, I'm happy with what is working with the media player. The sound quality is especially exceptional with high quality FLAC files I listen to. They are really 95% of the way there and just need to devote that last bit of effort to fix the outstanding bugs.

Perhaps @f205v can chime in with what he did as well.

How many songs do you have in your drive? It's possible that if the number of songs is small, that the "loading" happens quickly.

In any case, this minutes long "loading" step is unnecessary, as no other media player I have going back to an antiquated iPod from 2006 (that I upgraded with a 240GB drive), resumes music instantly.

I have about 1.000 songs (partly MP3, partly FLAC) all of them in the root directory, no sub-directories.
The loading time is about 2 minutes, and it happens every time I re-insert the USB stick (I sometimes pull it out to add a new song)

I can assure you that the loading only happens once when I insert the stick, for the rest it doesn't re-load anymore, and it always starts where I left it.
BTW: my car never sleeps, maybe the re-loading or loosing the current track happens when it sleeps?

I have about 1.000 songs (partly MP3, partly FLAC) all of them in the root directory, no sub-directories.
The loading time is about 2 minutes, and it happens every time I re-insert the USB stick (I sometimes pull it out to add a new song)

I can assure you that the loading only happens once when I insert the stick, for the rest it doesn't re-load anymore, and it always starts where I left it.
BTW: my car never sleeps, maybe the re-loading or loosing the current track happens when it sleeps?

I think your music player does not re-load unnecessarily because your car does not "sleep." It's after the car has been "sleeping" and I return that I have the rescanning issue where it says "Loading" and displays a percentage for about 3 minutes. I can't imagine this being that hard to fix, given no other music player I have used had this problem, and they all resume music with no delay.

FWIW I have ~7000 tracks on my USB stick, only 1 level of hierarchy (at root level, 1 folder per artist; all that artist's songs in its folder), all VBR MP3. As I've reported in the main USB bug thread, ever since one of the late v8 updates, the random rescanning of the USB stick problem went away for me. I cannot recall the last time it's happened in my car, it's been many months now <knocks on wood>

Also since one of the late v8 updates, the USB resume problem for me seem mostly fixed. I say "mostly" fixed because for months almost always the USB resumes correctly when getting back in the car. There are still some occasions which I chalk up to ongoing general misbehaviour of the media player (ie bad underlying code/design - further evidenced by the wide variety of different experiences among MS owners) where either there’s no audio source at all selected when getting back in the car, the USB tab itself isn’t even visible at all and is not playing, or on a couple occasions the USB started at beginning and didn’t resume at spot - in which cases an MCU reboot restored “proper” functionality ie USB resumes correctly. YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
FWIW I have ~7000 tracks on my USB stick, only 1 level of hierarchy (at root level, 1 folder per artist; all that artist's songs in its folder), all VBR MP3. As I've reported in the main USB bug thread, ever since one of the late v8 updates, the random rescanning of the USB stick problem went away for me. I cannot recall the last time it's happened in my car, it's been many months now <knocks on wood>

Also since one of the late v8 updates, the USB resume problem for me seem mostly fixed. I say "mostly" fixed because for months almost always the USB resumes correctly when getting back in the car. There are still some occasions which I chalk up to ongoing general misbehaviour of the media player (ie bad underlying code/design - further evidenced by the wide variety of different experiences among MS owners) where either there’s no audio source at all selected when getting back in the car, the USB tab itself isn’t even visible at all and is not playing, or on a couple occasions the USB started at beginning and didn’t resume at spot - in which cases an MCU reboot restored “proper” functionality ie USB resumes correctly. YMMV

Wish I was as lucky as you. I have cleaned up my music collection and only have about 2K more songs than you do and they are all on the root folder with /Artist/Track_Name format.

Unfortunately just about every time I get in my car, I see the "Loading" message for about 3 minutes and I can't play my music during that time :(

I don't know what on earth it is "loading" when nothing changed.

Wish I was as lucky as you. I have cleaned up my music collection and only have about 2K more songs than you do and they are all on the root folder with /Artist/Track_Name format.

Unfortunately just about every time I get in my car, I see the "Loading" message for about 3 minutes and I can't play my music during that time :(

I believe there is different behavior between MCU1 and MCU2 vehicles. About two months ago I went from a 2017 Model S (MCU1) to a 2019 Model S (MCU2). My MCU1 vehicle almost never (hesitant to say never, but I can't recall a time) had problems with USB playback resume and I can't recall a time that it did a rescan of my USB storage device other than when removed and reconnected. My MCU2 vehicle has often (I'd estimate at least 50% of the time) failed to resume from USB playback and often (I'd estimate 50-75% of the time) rescans the USB when I enter the vehicle. My MCU2 vehicle has always had this behavior, and I recall my MCU1 vehicle having consistent behavior for the entirety of my 2 years of ownership (which annoyed me when I "upgraded" vehicles and found this flaw).

I suspect @f-stop has an MCU1 vehicle and you have an MCU2 vehicle, based on the description in your signatures.

I believe there is different behavior between MCU1 and MCU2 vehicles. About two months ago I went from a 2017 Model S (MCU1) to a 2019 Model S (MCU2). My MCU1 vehicle almost never (hesitant to say never, but I can't recall a time) had problems with USB playback resume and I can't recall a time that it did a rescan of my USB storage device other than when removed and reconnected. My MCU2 vehicle has often (I'd estimate at least 50% of the time) failed to resume from USB playback and often (I'd estimate 50-75% of the time) rescans the USB when I enter the vehicle. My MCU2 vehicle has always had this behavior, and I recall my MCU1 vehicle having consistent behavior for the entirety of my 2 years of ownership (which annoyed me when I "upgraded" vehicles and found this flaw).

I suspect @f-stop has an MCU1 vehicle and you have an MCU2 vehicle, based on the description in your signatures.

This totally makes sense as I have MCU 2.0. Like you said, ~50%+ of the time, USB music does not resume and it shows "Loading" for around 3 minutes and it scans my entire music drive :( This get frustrating quickly when your first experience getting in the car is being unable to play music :(

Wish the music player would just remember what was loaded like every other music player...

yes, mine is MCU1. To be clear, I used to have both problems mentioned, i.e. frequent random USB rescans taking many minutes to complete, and failure to resume USB playback mid-track - both problems persisted for many many months, until they seemed to go away sometime after one of the late v8 updates. Perhaps even just coincidentally. So while maybe I'm now lucky, I definitely know your frustration first hand...

The only thing consistent about my MCU1 MS' music player's behaviour is that it in 3.5yrs has always been buggy and acting up in one way or another, still to this day (currently just not with the 2 main problems discussed in this thread). It does not surprise me any more that different people experience different variations of these problems in their own MS, or that MP bugs seem to come and go only to return again later. I hold very little hope the situation will improve since unfortunately Tesla seems to have zero interest

So, we have just discovered one instance where MCU1 is better than MCU2 ?!?!

BTW, I'm on MCU1 and both problems went away when I cleaned my MP3s from APE tags.

This might have something to do with you being on MCU 1.0.

I have cleaned up all my music as well and with MCU 2.0, I see constant issues where the media plays loads music for several minutes when I get in the car and it doesn't resume music.

The music not resuming is my biggest issue with the car. I'd say it's an even bigger issue that the defective screen that is turning yellow but at least that can be solved with a screen replacement.

what kind of usb drive are you using? have you tried using different ones?

what kind of usb drive are you using? have you tried using different ones?

It's a high quality Samsung USB drive with 256GB of storage space. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the drive. The USB drive I use has a data transfer speed of 300 MB/s, which is way above the data transfer rate for the car's USB port. It's absolutely not the drive.

This is the drive I'm using:

https://amzn.to/2ZePGei