Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Loss of Range: 5% Range Loss in 2019 Model 3 After Install of V10 Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can also corroborate that I saw a 20% - 25% increase in wh/mi immediately after receiving 2019.32.12.2 on my Model 3 SR+, with comparable weather and temperature.

I had a similar experience last winter, where after a software update, I was suddenly seeing much higher power drain, and then a couple of months later, it went away after another software update, just as suddenly. :-/

Immediately after v10 update I've notice an interesting behavior in my June 2018 X 75D :
If I come home at 15% or less, during next 2 or 3 hours it will drop by 7 to 8 %, so 15% will become just 8%.
I was shocked first time I saw it, but my car was connected and charging was scheduled for later that night. So I checked a few hours later and the charge did not drop anymore. Same happened a couple times again after that (I would say it happens every time I come home with less than 15% which is not often). It's not happening with higher charge levels.
Also noticed a drop in rated distance at 90% - dropped 3% since July. I suspect it could be after v10 install as well.

I tend to stay in the 30-70% SoC range and haven't looked at my battery degradation report in a while. This thread prompted me to do so and sure enough, it looks like I lost a few percent in September. It looks like it was aligned with one of the last V9 updates my car received before going to V10 - 2019.32.1 specifically. Until this update, I was doing really well.
View attachment 471634
A day before a scheduled service visit to check this out, Tesla got back to me to confirm the degradation was related to that firmware update. Was glad they shared that - I would much prefer them acknowledging it than it remaining a mystery. My biggest complaint, as usual, is the lack of communication from Tesla about when things like this happen and why. I'd be happy giving up a few miles of estimated range if properly explained and presumably resulted in longer service life or improved safety. Not sure I'll get those miles back with 2019.36 when it lands on my car, but we'll see.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
A day before a scheduled service visit to check this out, Tesla got back to me to confirm the degradation was related to that firmware update. Was glad they shared that - I would much prefer them acknowledging it than it remaining a mystery. My biggest complaint, as usual, is the lack of communication from Tesla about when things like this happen and why. I'd be happy giving up a few miles of estimated range if properly explained and presumably resulted in longer service life or improved safety. Not sure I'll get those miles back with 2019.36 when it lands on my car, but we'll see.

As Far as I recall, people here have been reporting Tesla techs telling them it's a firmware issue for 6 months now. That's starting to sound like a blow-off reply to me. "It's a bug, you really didn't lose range" - they can just keep telling you that forever: "Oh, it hasn't been fixed yet"

I have a Dec 2018 Mid Range that when new had 264 mi @100%. I'm now down to 243 mi @100%

As Far as I recall, people here have been reporting Tesla techs telling them it's a firmware issue for 6 months now. That's starting to sound like a blow-off reply to me. "It's a bug, you really didn't lose range" - they can just keep telling you that forever: "Oh, it hasn't been fixed yet"

I have a Dec 2018 Mid Range that when new had 264 mi @100%. I'm now down to 243 mi @100%

Hmm. That would concern me. Almost an 8% drop in less than a year. I would recommend trying to recalibrate by driving down to less than 10% and then charging to full and see if there’s any improvement.

I've done the recalibration (<10%-100%) on my Nov 2018 MR a couple times recently and my range is at 248 miles @100% vs 264 when new. 80% now shows 198 down from 212 when new. While it could be degradation, I think that would be gradual like my LEAF vs the large drop I saw after a software update.

I've done the recalibration (<10%-100%) on my Nov 2018 MR a couple times recently and my range is at 248 miles @100% vs 264 when new. 80% now shows 198 down from 212 when new. While it could be degradation, I think that would be gradual like my LEAF vs the large drop I saw after a software update.

Im on the same boat with my midrange. used to have about 237 miles at 90% im only getting 203 miles out of 90% charge. started dropping miles like crazy 3 software updates ago. have tried everything yet it keeps going down with almost every charge. kicker is mine barely broke 3000 miles.

Im on the same boat with my midrange. used to have about 237 miles at 90% im only getting 203 miles out of 90% charge. started dropping miles like crazy 3 software updates ago. have tried everything yet it keeps going down with almost every charge. kicker is mine barely broke 3000 miles.

just charged to 201 at 90%, you guys think this merits a trip to a service center.

just charged to 201 at 90%, you guys think this merits a trip to a service center.

That's about 15% loss from new. Now, as @MP3Mike mentioned, the warranty is for 30% loss... within 8 years. However, there's no way that losing 15% in the first year should be considered normal. I would at least schedule service through the app and in the comments write that your 100% range has dropped from 264 to 223. They will probably do some remote diagnostics and call you.

I'm wondering if we're seeing an artifact that the mid-range only was produced for about 6 months... and therefore there aren't that many. As a result, some change to the BMS was made and the mid-range is getting miscalculated. Either that, or when they temporarily produced the mid-range packs something about that process made them wear faster

That's about 15% loss from new. Now, as @MP3Mike mentioned, the warranty is for 30% loss... within 8 years. However, there's no way that losing 15% in the first year should be considered normal. I would at least schedule service through the app and in the comments write that your 100% range has dropped from 264 to 223. They will probably do some remote diagnostics and call you.

Thanks that sounds like a good start to get things documented.

It has been a few months since the last time my 3 was charged fully. My 3 has 25k miles.
The battery was charged to 100% with 309 miles on last Saturday
1. I drove over 100 miles early morning around 6 am and found the battery was draining fast than I have ever noticed. See the following screenshot at 100 miles: miles on battery reduced to 165 miles from 309 (144 miles usage) and average energy use is 315 wh/mi.
2. I took another screenshot at 100 miles when came back afternoon, miles reduced to 143 from 256 (113 miles battery usage, close to usual) and ave energy use is 251 wh/mi.
3. So for the same 100 miles almost at the same speed (~70MPH), the battery drain of the morning drive was 31mi more than the afternoon drive. it's 30% more battery drain. The only diff between the two 100 mi drives is that the outside temperature in the early morning was 10F lower and the battery start point 309mi vs 256mi

View attachment 467149
View attachment 467153
Temperature.

Is this your first cold season with a Tesla? As it gets below 50% there is a noticeable battery heating hit. Explains morning drive using more energy.