Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
v10 on MCU1 is a piece of %$#T. Did a 200 mile trip this weekend and it took it 5 or more minutes plus a reboot to calculate a route with a supercharger stop. Bluetooth is no longer working and I have the message to call service. Who knows what other issues it might have.

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
Tesla, leave me and my pathetic, slow, MCU1 car alone. Ideally, please revert it to V8 and leave it at that. I don’t care about arcades, chess, beach buggy, web browsing, netflix or any of the other nonsense.

Not to mention Spotify hasn’t even managed to load correctly for me so another useless feature it is.
The thing that amazes me is if this is the experience us 'end users' are having then surely in Tesla's pool of company cars there is still some 'old' MCU1 cars getting around. How are they not seeing this even in early testing stages of V10 and trying to make things better?

I feel like maybe they need to go down the path of say Windows or Android where you can stop certain programs (or apps) from starting when the device boots, freeing up memory and CPU cycles. It also seems that things got considerably worse when they forced the navigation map to be on screen and updating all the time (in V9).

v10 on MCU1 is a piece of %$#T. Did a 200 mile trip this weekend and it took it 5 or more minutes plus a reboot to calculate a route with a supercharger stop. Bluetooth is no longer working and I have the message to call service. Who knows what other issues it might have.

I have V10 on MCU1 and it works just fine. Bluetooth, etc. Spotify also. Hardware too old to do video streaming. Make sure
you do a dual scroll wheel reboot though..

It’s a very serious possibility that they do it on purpose. Elon has always been an Apple fan...
I was being sarcastic. I am far from an Elon devotee, but in this case I seriously doubt planned obsolescence is any factor at all. It simply is lack of proper planning ahead, naivety, overconfidence, or maybe just complete lack of experience shipping hardware platforms with software, and having to support them for 20 years. Elon attempted to apply cloud app development methodology to hardware products with a 15+ year lifecycle. He never considered that hardware is not upgradable over-the-air for free, while supporting software to work on many generation and configurations is hard and expensive.

My concern is the ongoing promises of what can be done with software updates and yet they can't get auto wipers to function like they aren't possessed, so therefore they remain as beta (eg, take it or leave it).
Obviously the design mindset for the rain sense wipers was more of a 'of course we can tweak the algos to make this work'...well how many other functions does that mindset apply to where they will eventually have to concede it isn't possible to fix hardware limitations with software.

Reactions: kavyboy
I have V10 on MCU1 and it works just fine. Bluetooth, etc. Spotify also. Hardware too old to do video streaming. Make sure
you do a dual scroll wheel reboot though..

Do you see how Tesla screws with you? Hardware too old to do video? I call bullshit on that. That’s a bunch of crap from Tesla side. Computers were able to play video just fine 20 years ago with single core CPUs that barely reached 1Ghz clock and graphics cards a la Geforce 2 from NVidia.

Official Tesla blog from 2011: Tesla Motors' Model S to Feature NVIDIA Tegra Processors

NVIDIA Tegra is the world's first mobile superchip, with eight dedicated computing cores. These include the ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, the world's only ultra-low power NVIDIA GeForce® GPU and the world's first mobile 1080p HD video processor.

These features enable it to offer extremely realistic 3D graphics and advanced multimedia functionality and premium-quality accelerated user interfaces.

Reading this makes me incredibly furious. 1080p HD video processor as advertised, but 7 years later they are telling us it can’t do video??? For real? To me this is just a testament to pathetic software that Tesla developed.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t give a damn about video in my car, but I am trying to point out that you shouldn’t trust everything coming from Tesla.

Last edited:
Do you see how Tesla screws with you? Hardware too old to do video? I call bullshit on that. That’s a bunch of crap from Tesla side. Computers were able to play video just fine 20 years ago with single core CPUs that barely reached 1Ghz clock and graphics cards a la Geforce 2 from NVidia.

Official Tesla blog from 2011: Tesla Motors' Model S to Feature NVIDIA Tegra Processors

NVIDIA Tegra is the world's first mobile superchip, with eight dedicated computing cores. These include the ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, the world's only ultra-low power NVIDIA GeForce® GPU and the world's first mobile 1080p HD video processor.

These features enable it to offer extremely realistic 3D graphics and advanced multimedia functionality and premium-quality accelerated user interfaces.

Reading this makes me incredibly furious. 1080p HD video processor as advertised, but 7 years later they are telling us it can’t do video??? For real? To me this is just a testament to pathetic software that Tesla developed.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t give a damn about video in my car, but I am trying to point out that you shouldn’t trust everything coming from Tesla.

can’t agreed more.

time to clean up your old code Tesla.

It would seem instead they tried to combine old and (more) stable with new and snazzy (M3) for a one size fits all....that never tends to work well.
It would work fine if they created a closer-to-microcode/assembly language that was cleaner. However, one of their programmers told me that their programming team is never let to do a full code cleanup, and instead is put on successive fires to make new features that never get complete, debugged, or finished before the next fire comes along. They agreed with me so much about cleaning it up that he said many programmers had even attempted to do a code cleanup, but were prevented by Elon (he said management, then corrected himself to be specific). The result is that the software for the car is a mess, with too many languages, and what in my experience turns into a lot of the following missing: integrity, safety, capability, efficiency, features, debugging, etc.

Last edited:
It would work fine if they created a closer-to-microcode/assembly language that was cleaner. However, one of their programmers told me that their programming team is never let to do a full code cleanup, and instead is put on successive fires to make new microfeatures that never get complete, debugged, or finished before the next fire comes along. They agreed with me so much about cleaning it up that he said many programmers had even attempted to do a code cleanup, but were prevented by Elon (he said management, then corrected himself to be specific).
Sounds like planned/forced obsolescence.

It would work fine if they created a closer-to-microcode/assembly language that was cleaner. However, one of their programmers told me that their programming team is never let to do a full code cleanup, and instead is put on successive fires to make new features that never get complete, debugged, or finished before the next fire comes along. They agreed with me so much about cleaning it up that he said many programmers had even attempted to do a code cleanup, but were prevented by Elon (he said management, then corrected himself to be specific). The result is that the software for the car is a mess, with too many languages, and what in my experience turns into a lot of the following missing: integrity, safety, capability, efficiency, features, debugging, etc.
Exactly what I suspected. It's quite obvious really looking at it from outside. Those weeks of cleanup inbetween fires is extremely important to build a maintainable codebase.

I believe they need code further from the hardware though, not closer. A language such as C# would be perfect for pretty much everything in the MCU, so the programmers could spend less time writing less and better code.

one of their programmers told me that their programming team is never let to do a full code cleanup, and instead is put on successive fires to make new features that never get complete, debugged, or finished before the next fire comes along.
Yep and that is exactly how it feels when it runs, pretty sad because that culture will never change therefore the is probably no improvement on the horizon.

Elon attempted to apply cloud app development methodology to hardware products with a 15+ year lifecycle.

Well, I can understand that people with a car from 2012 are upset of V10 plagging MCU1. But I have a 03/2018 MCU1, which was messed up by v9 (audio glitches...) in 11/2018, eight months after delivery. So I'm pissed off at a much much higher level.

I'm in Europe where I show the car to many people for which this is the first time in a Tesla. At the beginning they were pretty amazed by the screen. Now they see a laggy UI with yellow borders, and glitchy audio. I'm not sure this promotes the product so well.

Hey german carmakers, please come at the rescue. I'd like some quality for my future second EV.

Reactions: P100D_Me and am_dmd