Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I took my X (raven) for a longer drive today in city/high-way/heavy traffic/small road and I got to say the AP software has improved immensely. I've had no phantom breaks of any kind even at the typical spots like oncoming cars, trucks in right lane to me etc. I had one instance where it slowed down but no where near the whiplash inducing breaking it did before.
It also seems that automatic lane changes are much faster and when stopped at a red light or something behind other cars it speeds up much faster once the other cars start to drive.

10/10 from me so far, I'm actually quite impressed of the progress compared to how it was one week ago when I didn't dare put on autopilot with cars behind me and passengers in my car. Now I think I can start using it again.

I'm no longer fighting the auto pilot, it just works..
Concur on the stopped at light, then tracks faster at go. This is an obvious and welcome improvement.

old |v2019.32.2.2|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.32.11|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

You and I have very similar feelings about the older hardware. I posted in another thread that my '16 X90D is in great shape for exterior and interior and the 90 battery degradation has pretty much settled at 6% loss. I currently see no need at all the replace my car and I really plan to put 200k miles on it. It would be really nice to see Tesla recognize the fact that these cars can last 500k miles and to provide us hardware upgrade paths (not for free) to make sure that we can get the latest hardware to run all the new features, where possible. I totally get that some features in 5+ years will likely not be realistic, but most of the current upgrades the early Model X's are missing are MCU related.

I still find it amazing that my car(s) get OTA software upgrades and the family goes into the car together to see what the heck was added. It's amazing what Tesla has done and I hope that they continue to innovate and find ways to provide us with upgrade paths!
I feel the same way about the expected longevity of my 2017 MX and am disappointed about the inability to receive all the updates that V10 has to offer. I’m not too tech Savy, but I would think there at least would be a way to allow us to view video by accessing it via the web. I thought MX used to be able to do that, but Tesla put a stop to that due to misuse.

I feel the same way about the expected longevity of my 2017 MX and am disappointed about the inability to receive all the updates that V10 has to offer. I’m not too tech Savy, but I would think there at least would be a way to allow us to view video by accessing it via the web. I thought MX used to be able to do that, but Tesla put a stop to that due to misuse.

AFAIK, the MCU 1 uses an ARM cpu with the equivalent power of a tablet while MCU2 is an intel cpu more in line with a regular PC.
Personally I think they could fit the video stuff inn, but since it's all based on the web browser and the web browser (Chrome) in MCU1 is almost unusable it would probably not be a good experience.
They might be able to make a custom app to play youtube videos etc but it requires a lot more development than just putting a webview up like they've done with youtube and netflix.

I'm not excusing anything but I think this is just the reality.

What I do hope though is that they will offer MCU upgrades in the future so my MCU 2 car can get version 3 for a (probably large) cost when that arrives.

• Informative
Reactions: Diiiirk and TechVP
AP in this build has an interesting behavior w/ Semi’s. It will veer to the left in your lane while passing on the right. That’s definitely a new behavior my passengers noticed. It’s not a smooth glide left, but a sudden correction and then corrects itself upon immediately passing a semi.

I am curious how others observe this behavior?
Good, bad, improvements?

I noticed this too! For me it went a little too far away from the semi, I took over and corrected it. I think good idea but wasn't sure how necessary it was?

I noticed that the front ultrasonic doesn't warning any more when entering a parking lot and there is a wall in front. On the older versions it showed the distance to the wall. Quite dangerous if you have used this feature and don't have is anymore.

I noticed that the front ultrasonic doesn't warning any more when entering a parking lot and there is a wall in front. On the older versions it showed the distance to the wall. Quite dangerous if you have used this feature and don't have is anymore.

Try rebooting the car or something, it still works on mine. If not I'd check with the service centre.
If there is an error with this it would be double bad if you are using summon to park the car in the garage as I do.
Also check for dirt on the sensor.

Anybody else notice the vehicle randomly slowing down on the freeway? It's unlike previous phantom braking I've had in which the car slammed on the brakes. This is a gentle braking even though the car ahead is maintaining speed. I have no idea if it is braking to a stop because I doubt the people behind me are as curious as I am to find out. But I've let it get down from 70 to 40 or so.

Anybody else notice the vehicle randomly slowing down on the freeway? It's unlike previous phantom braking I've had in which the car slammed on the brakes. This is a gentle braking even though the car ahead is maintaining speed. I have no idea if it is braking to a stop because I doubt the people behind me are as curious as I am to find out. But I've let it get down from 70 to 40 or so.
Not random as you describe, but it's a bit more cautious (and slowing) on left turning at medium speeds (~40mph) on a city road I do everyday to gym.

old |v2019.32.11|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.32.11.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Mine does this on occasion as well. Sometimes it looks as though the car thinks the speed limit has dropped but other times it just slows for no apparent reason. I suspect this will get better over time.
For you and @jdchi, does this happen consistently at the same place(s)? Back in 2017, when everyone was having overpass issues, there were spots on a fairly new freeway where my X would slow down to 40 (in a 70 with minimum speed 45) and drive that way for extended periods of time if I didn't override the speed using the accelerator. It only did it with auto-steer engaged, and it was always at the same places. Eventually, I was told it was an issue with some of the gps/map data, and it stayed that way for a really long time until the data was eventually updated to correct it. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with TACC now, as I've seen places where the max speed setting is changed even when I'm just using TACC since V9, but in either case, if it's consistent in location, it apparently may possibly have to do with the gps/map data.

• Informative
Reactions: jdchi
For you and @jdchi, does this happen consistently at the same place(s)? Back in 2017, when everyone was having overpass issues, there were spots on a fairly new freeway where my X would slow down to 40 (in a 70 with minimum speed 45) and drive that way for extended periods of time if I didn't override the speed using the accelerator. It only did it with auto-steer engaged, and it was always at the same places. Eventually, I was told it was an issue with some of the gps/map data, and it stayed that way for a really long time until the data was eventually updated to correct it. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with TACC now, as I've seen places where the max speed setting is changed even when I'm just using TACC since V9, but in either case, if it's consistent in location, it apparently may possibly have to do with the gps/map data.

Thanks, I will try to keep track. It doesn't happen on my daily commute so I don't have enough data yet. I did notice one spot where it flashed warnings that autosteer was limited to increasingly lower speeds as it slowed down--I would assume that is location specific. I didn't notice that warning in the other instances it has been slowing down, but it is entirely possible I just missed it.

Thanks, I will try to keep track. It doesn't happen on my daily commute so I don't have enough data yet. I did notice one spot where it flashed warnings that autosteer was limited to increasingly lower speeds as it slowed down--I would assume that is location specific. I didn't notice that warning in the other instances it has been slowing down, but it is entirely possible I just missed it.
The warning you're describing implies bad speed limit data. The experience I was referring to and the other experiences you are talking about is something else (speed limit showed 70 in the dash in my case, but vehicle slowed down to about 40 and maintained that speed with nothing ahead of it, best guess I have is the GPS data was off enough that the vehicle was looking for a curve that didn't exist because it wasn't where it expected to be).