Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Sentry Mode now includes rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V10 release finally includes ability to overwrite old files automatically when Sentry Mode USB fills up, but now also includes recordings from the rear camera!

Screenshot_20190930-091810_My Files.jpg

This is a feature I think that needs to be talked about much more than stupid Netflix and Youtube. I would rather have the video of someone rear ended me in the parking lot while I am inside a store than having the ability to watch Netflix in the parking lot that requires Wifi connected.

Reactions: ftlum
This is a feature I think that needs to be talk about much more than stupid Netflix and Youtube. I would rather have the video of someone rear ended me in the parking lot while I am inside a store than having the ability to watch Netflix in the parking lot that requires Wifi connected.

Right now, I think having Netflix, YouTube and Hulu is more important and is offering people immediate joy... The rear cam is great, but in reality it's not providing the same daily joy, only when you need to view the video it recorded.

Fart Mode is also still bringing joy to many owners.

h
Right now, I think having Netflix, YouTube and Hulu is more important and is offering people immediate joy... The rear cam is great, but in reality it's not providing the same daily joy, only when you need to view the video it recorded.

Fart Mode is also still bringing joy to many owners.
haha, not sure if you are being sarcastic, but i bet you once they limit netflix to wifi streaming only, most people will hardly use it. haha, if watching netlix in your tesla is the only joy someone has, they have issues.

Reactions: RayW and Foxyboy
This is a feature I think that needs to be talked about much more than stupid Netflix and Youtube. I would rather have the video of someone rear ended me in the parking lot while I am inside a store than having the ability to watch Netflix in the parking lot that requires Wifi connected.

You're so right. I made a similar statement about fixing know problems rather than childish games and was surprise at how offended some folks were. Couldn't they take those software programming resources and keep fixing things faster. Clearly this is not the case. I got V10 yesterday and still get a blank screen in the "Whats new in this update" That should be fixed before I get cuphead or what ever other game they think of.

Reactions: ediflyer and Klau2
You're so right. I made a similar statement about fixing know problems rather than childish games and was surprise at how offended some folks were. Couldn't they take those software programming resources and keep fixing things faster. Clearly this is not the case. I got V10 yesterday and still get a blank screen in the "Whats new in this update" That should be fixed before I get cuphead or what ever other game they think of.
That's how the world is, people care about flashy features more than practical ones.

That's how the world is, people care about flashy features more than practical ones.

Unfortunately we're living in a post-Kardashian world:

Flash > Substance​

Having rear cam footage if you're rear ended or backed into is VASTLY more useful albeit hopefully never used. In fact there was someone on Reddit asking people to identify a blurry plate from someone in a lifted truck that backed into his M3. The side came footage was not clear. If he had the rear cam footage in Sentry, I'm sure the plate would have been clear as day (or at least more discernable). I also told a coworker that has a MX about the rear cam footage and he said that he didn't see that in the release notes! Its a feature that really should be touted more. Sure, Netflix is fun but the reality is only useful if you sit in your car while charging and you'll get to watch maybe 45min or so of video? For me, I tried Netflix in my garage connected to wi-fi and the audio is crackling/popping frequently … others on Reddit are reporting the same thing.

I couldn't believe time and resources were wasted on Fart Mode. I didn't really care about Caraoke either but admit the wife and daughter love it.

Theater mode is pretty neat but Netflix, Hulu, YouTube is easily added to any vehicle in the form of a tablet. That said, having it fully integrated into Teslas is nice. Instead of being limited to watching while parked, can't people just bring up Netflix on the browser while driving?

I definitely was more excited about the Sentry Mode updates, especially auto overwrite when the USB drive gets full. That feature is definitely needed now that recordings are taken from four camera angles.

V10 release finally includes ability to overwrite old files automatically when Sentry Mode USB fills up, but now also includes recordings from the rear camera!

View attachment 461013

What kind of usb storage device are you using for the dash cam? I'm using a high speed ssd, and the time stamps on my one minute clips are 61 seconds apart. I notice on your post that yours are 60 seconds apart. Also the clips are only 58 seconds long giving a 3 second gap between clips. Are your clips 60 seconds long?

Thanks for this thread - I'd heard about back camera footage 'coming soon' but had totally missed it was in this update!! Lots of the publicity from Tesla focused on Smart Summon but as that's only in the US (and I believe now Canada since the latest minor update release?) so a bit irrelevant this side of the Pond - esp as we had Spotify already ;) I am enjoying the Netflix addition but really wish they'd spend just a few developer hours properly sorting media streaming (DAB text, Bluetooth track progress, etc.) before adding another arcade game.

Just to clarify though is it only in Sentry Mode that the back camera has been added or is it for dashcam when driving too?

What kind of usb storage device are you using for the dash cam? I'm using a high speed ssd, and the time stamps on my one minute clips are 61 seconds apart. I notice on your post that yours are 60 seconds apart. Also the clips are only 58 seconds long giving a 3 second gap between clips. Are your clips 60 seconds long?

Sorry for the late reply, Tippy. My recordings are 59 seconds. Another interesting thing though is now all four streams are h.264 rather than front and side repeaters previously using the h.265 codec. Both Mac OS and VLC are reporting h.264 across all streams.

I am using a 256 GB Samsung USB drive

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.51.49 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.51.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.51.49 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 32