Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Sentry Mode now includes rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is dash cam recording? Are we talking about the same thing Dashcam/Sentry Mode cameras?
Yep - dashcam meaning when in motion, Sentry Mode when stationary. Agree pic quality looks really good. Will need to have a look at my recent recordings!

Yup … I've confirmed as well. I see that for HW3, that videos are H.264 vs H.265 :-(
I thought even prior to V10 they'd switched HW3 from H.265 to H.264 encoding (I think from about 28.2 onwards?) Is there any way to tell if HW2.5 or HW3 since then?

Gosh dangit, started getting "slow USB" speed warnings with Sentry Mode yesterday. I have tried a Samsung Fit 256GB, a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB, and a card reader with a Samsung EVO 256 GB microSD...all quality brands, all advertising up to 90-100 MBps write speeds, and all triggered the slow performance warning within 6-8 months. Going the SSD route this time, especially since a 250 GB SSD is about the same price as a 256 GB memory card, but the SSD has faster write speeds and better endurance. Hopefully this holds up better. So strange as all the flash drives and memory cards I used exceed the bandwidth of the Model S USB 2.0 ports.

20200126_144849.jpg

20200126_145022.jpg

Gosh dangit, started getting "slow USB" speed warnings with Sentry Mode yesterday. I have tried a Samsung Fit 256GB, a SanDisk Ultra Fit 64 GB, and a card reader with a Samsung EVO 256 GB microSD...all quality brands, all advertising up to 90-100 MBps write speeds, and all triggered the slow performance warning within 6-8 months. Going the SSD route this time, especially since a 250 GB SSD is about the same price as a 256 GB memory card, but the SSD has faster write speeds and better endurance. Hopefully this holds up better. So strange as all the flash drives and memory cards I used exceed the bandwidth of the Model S USB 2.0 ports.

View attachment 504684

View attachment 504685

As for all the thumb drives and statements of what ‘should’ work, I’ve been through about 5 or so thumb drives. I even ordered a new
Samsung 256GB FIT Plus USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A Flash Drive which had the best reviews and likelihood to work.

The drive worked fine everywhere EXCEPT in my late 2017 Model S 100D. Oddly enough, I had some really old thumb drives (1 Gb) which did work for a while but it seems the constant writes to the drives wore them out. They additionally weren’t large enough for any real day-to-day use.

I finally did exactly what you did and put a SSD in a USB case and have had that in my care for about 6 months. It is 450 Gb so nice and large and seems to function nicely with TeslaCam. The only thing is it takes up more space in the USB well. I may figure out another place for it but for now it works and I get recorded Sentry clips regularly.

There are only two MCU computers out there MCU1 and MCU2. You can upgrade to MCU2 for $2500, when your VIN number is chosen. Auto Pilot has AP1, AP2, AP2.5, and (AP3) Full Self Driving.
Camera systems are AP1 Front only, AP2 front and repeater (side cameras),

Yes thanks....we can now upgrade to MCU2. Back in feb when I posted that message, that was not the case. I’m glad that changed.

Yup. Need MCU2. I also have a 2017 and did the upgrade. Feels like a brand new car again and can now enjoy all the features of a new Tesla.
Did you just do the MCU2 upgrade or FSD also? I am on the bubble as to doing both or not. My understanding is with the MCU2 upgrade you get the HW3 computer and one just (LOL @ "just") has to write the check for FSD at that point?

As for all the thumb drives and statements of what ‘should’ work, I’ve been through about 5 or so thumb drives. I even ordered a new
Samsung 256GB FIT Plus USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A Flash Drive which had the best reviews and likelihood to work.

The drive worked fine everywhere EXCEPT in my late 2017 Model S 100D. Oddly enough, I had some really old thumb drives (1 Gb) which did work for a while but it seems the constant writes to the drives wore them out. They additionally weren’t large enough for any real day-to-day use.

I finally did exactly what you did and put a SSD in a USB case and have had that in my care for about 6 months. It is 450 Gb so nice and large and seems to function nicely with TeslaCam. The only thing is it takes up more space in the USB well. I may figure out another place for it but for now it works and I get recorded Sentry clips regularly.
do you have an SSD you recommend? I'm seeing the same issue -- slow write times on the third USB I've purchased.

Did you just do the MCU2 upgrade or FSD also? I am on the bubble as to doing both or not. My understanding is with the MCU2 upgrade you get the HW3 computer and one just (LOL @ "just") has to write the check for FSD at that point?
I already had purchased FSD. They did do the HW3 computer at the same time. Still have AP 2.0 cameras.

Reactions: tabraha
Right now, I think having Netflix, YouTube and Hulu is more important and is offering people immediate joy... The rear cam is great, but in reality it's not providing the same daily joy, only when you need to view the video it recorded.

Fart Mode is also still bringing joy to many owners.
I'm still rocking Santa mode. Need more Cowbell Uh, reindeer.