Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 software and Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not sure how much data you have in your plan, or use monthly, but streaming Spotify is de minimis in the grand scheme of things. Anywhere from 40-70 MB per hour, give or take.

So assuming an hour a day, every day, that’s 2.1GB total for a whole month.

And probably on the high side. You could also preload music with Spotify to your phone when on wifi, eliminating need to stream.

Not too bad. Unfortunately, I do not have a premium account and not interested in spending $10 a month. Hoping basic spotify becomes available on deals at some point. I'm guessing this premium only option comes with some kind of kick back for Tesla.

Not too bad. Unfortunately, I do not have a premium account and not interested in spending $10 a month. Hoping basic spotify becomes available on deals at some point. I'm guessing this premium only option comes with some kind of kick back for Tesla.

No kickbacks; it just means they’re not paying for your account. If you have a LR, they’re paying for the data - that’s more than enough IMO.

Totally understand not paying for Spotify; I may consider dropping SXM next year if I can get my wife to use Spotify in her Buick ...

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808
No kickbacks; it just means they’re not paying for your account. If you have a LR, they’re paying for the data - that’s more than enough IMO.

Totally understand not paying for Spotify; I may consider dropping SXM next year if I can get my wife to use Spotify in her Buick ...

Tesla gives you the premium acct.? I don't think so. If you sign up new and log in on your Tesla I bet they kick something back. No other reason to not allow the basic free account to be used.

Tesla gives you the premium acct.? I don't think so. If you sign up new and log in on your Tesla I bet they kick something back. No other reason to not allow the basic free account to be used.

It’s the other way around as far as I can tell. The 3rd party APIs only work with Premium accounts. Same thing with my Sonos; has to be Premium to use, because Spotify keeps the Spotify Connect APIs unavailable for free accounts.

edit: third bullet point - right here on Spotify’s developer guide. This has - literally - NOTHING to do with Tesla.

Using the Spotify Connect Web API | Spotify for Developers

Reactions: MP3Mike
It’s the other way around as far as I can tell. The 3rd party APIs only work with Premium accounts. Same thing with my Sonos; has to be Premium to use, because Spotify keeps the Spotify Connect APIs unavailable for free accounts.

edit: third bullet point - right here on Spotify’s developer guide. This has - literally - NOTHING to do with Tesla.

Using the Spotify Connect Web API | Spotify for Developers

Interesting and good find. Spotify is not being smart. Ad revenue could be huge if they allowed free users such access. O well they lost my ad listen revenue.

Interesting and good find. Spotify is not being smart. Ad revenue could be huge if they allowed free users such access. O well they lost my ad listen revenue.

... I don't disagree, but I guess they consider the Spotify Connect function to be a key differentiator between free/premium accounts, and I guess the conversion rate outweighs the ad revenue.

I'm not a marketing or product person, so I'm not going to question their analytics, but I'm sure /someone/ made that decision purposefully ...

... that said, I agree with you.

FWIW ...

Introducing Software Version 10.0

BTW, if you enjoy music, the premium spotify fee of $10 solo or $15 for a family of 5 different accounts although probably unfair to artists, is probably the best value in capitalism right now! Any song. Instantly. For free. "Hey this is a cool sound... open Soundhound... song ID'd, save straight into Spotify ... mine." Instantly. Bam. Music library game changer. How far we've come from traditional radio and "record stores!"

Totally appropriate that Tesla would team up with Spotify :cool:

A little unrelated question - for those who have V10.0 already, do you see any improvements in the way the audio media is managed?

e.g. can I at least look at my iPhone/Apple Music/Google Music library (all or playlist) songs and select what I want to play instead of relying on just the shuffle function?

While a neat feature, I don’t quite need the premium streaming since it is more than adequate to stream music from my phone via Bluetooth. Premium streaming in the car for a fee when I have a phone is overconsumption in my honest opinion.

e.g. can I at least look at my iPhone/Apple Music/Google Music library (all or playlist) songs and select what I want to play instead of relying on just the shuffle function?

Same question here, but for Spotify. Playlist access over bluetooth was apparently added in V10 for music on the phone (Apple Music/iTunes), but no word on other source. Playlist access over bluetooth didn't worked in old Prius with Spotify, it used to work only with "iTunes".

Premium connectivity doesn't matter if you can access Spotify playlist from your phone instead of the in-car dedicated Spotify UI.