Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v10 TeslaCam- supposed to overwrite, do I even need > 16GB USB now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do we know that the sentry video is constantly being written to the USB port? Isn't it possible that the last few minutes of video are stored in the internal storage of the car then written to USB when an event is triggered?

No.

Sentry doesn't "write" anything. Ever.

Dashcam is constantly recording in 1 minute segments from each camera into the recents folder. We know this because if you pull the drive out it'll have everything up until either "right now" or until about a minute ago, depending if it had the time to write the "last" minute or not.

If Sentry triggers an alert all it does is move the existing last 10 minutes of dashcam files from recent to saved. Which takes nearly no time (being a move, not a copy- though even a copy wouldn't take much time)

No.

Sentry doesn't "write" anything. Ever.

Dashcam is constantly recording in 1 minute segments from each camera into the recents folder. We know this because if you pull the drive out it'll have everything up until either "right now" or until about a minute ago, depending if it had the time to write the "last" minute or not.

If Sentry triggers an alert all it does is move the existing last 10 minutes of dashcam files from recent to saved. Which takes nearly no time (being a move, not a copy- though even a copy wouldn't take much time)
Well, that's stupid. I thought Tesla could produce video from your car? I'm assuming that is whether or not you had a USB device attached.

Well, that's stupid. I thought Tesla could produce video from your car? I'm assuming that is whether or not you had a USB device attached.

The car uploads video to tesla (and did so before dashcam or sentry were even a thing)- it remains fairly unclear what/how much/when they do so in general- but all the stuff I wrote is what we DO know the car writes to the key (and roughly when)

It's unclear if it uploads anything sentry-related to Tesla if there's no USB device attached.

What we do know is Tesla has said (if you opt in to sharing video with Tesla)
Tesla said:
Sentry Mode will send a short recorded video clip linked to your VIN to Tesla for temporary backup (up to 72 hours) when the Alarm state is triggered

The most likely way by a mile to do that is by uploading it FROM the USB device.

Because otherwise it'd have to be caching 10-20 minutes of footage in local storage (in addition to writing it locally per minute as we know it does).... that seems unlikely because you're talking 1.2-2.4 gigs of space which given how tight that storage is (so tight they had to restrict cuphead to just 1 level- and they're talking about future games requiring you to delete other games to fit them) seems incredibly unlikely.....especially when they're expecting you to have USB storage attached to handle this.

Edit- thinking more about it- I suppose maybe when they say 'short' they mean "the 1 minute before it was triggered" instead of the normal 10 minutes? That'd be covered pretty easily by the same cached video that is written to the key every minute I suppose.

Dunno that anyone has successfully found out exactly how much Tesla uploads.

Would be easy to check I guess- Have your car at home on wifi, monitor the traffic from the car, trigger the alarm when sentry is on, measure the amount of data uploaded.

Hopefully someone less lazy than I will look into it.

The car uploads video to tesla (and did so before dashcam or sentry were even a thing)- it remains fairly unclear what/how much/when they do so in general- but all the stuff I wrote is what we DO know the car writes to the key (and roughly when)

It's unclear if it uploads anything sentry-related to Tesla if there's no USB device attached.

What we do know is Tesla has said (if you opt in to sharing video with Tesla)

The most likely way by a mile to do that is by uploading it FROM the USB device.

Because otherwise it'd have to be caching 10-20 minutes of footage in local storage (in addition to writing it locally per minute as we know it does).... that seems unlikely because you're talking 1.2-2.4 gigs of space which given how tight that storage is (so tight they had to restrict cuphead to just 1 level- and they're talking about future games requiring you to delete other games to fit them) seems incredibly unlikely.....especially when they're expecting you to have USB storage attached to handle this.

Edit- thinking more about it- I suppose maybe when they say 'short' they mean "the 1 minute before it was triggered" instead of the normal 10 minutes? That'd be covered pretty easily by the same cached video that is written to the key every minute I suppose.

Dunno that anyone has successfully found out exactly how much Tesla uploads.

Would be easy to check I guess- Have your car at home on wifi, monitor the traffic from the car, trigger the alarm when sentry is on, measure the amount of data uploaded.

Hopefully someone less lazy than I will look into it.
To me it seems much more logical to write everything to local storage in the car and then write to the USB device and delete it off local aka move it when requested. I understand the need to conserve local storage though, so maybe they had no choice. It seems surprising that Tesla is already having memory management issues. I would have thought they'd put 4x - 10x the space they thought they'd need in the M3's design. I wonder if the HW3 is going to come with a memory upgrade as well? Or if there will be a user option to add more memory for a cost at the SC?

To me it seems much more logical to write everything to local storage in the car and then write to the USB device and delete it off local aka move it when requested. I understand the need to conserve local storage though, so maybe they had no choice. It seems surprising that Tesla is already having memory management issues. I would have thought they'd put 4x - 10x the space they thought they'd need in the M3's design.

Model 3 entered official production mid-2017, meaning design decisions were finalized in 2016 for many things (indeed the board in the media computer is a late 2016 product from Intel).

And I don't know that they had storing footage from 4 dashcams and large games in mind back then- given those features came years later.

T
I wonder if the HW3 is going to come with a memory upgrade as well? Or if there will be a user option to add more memory for a cost at the SC?

The driving/AP computer is a different computer than the media one...(this is why you can reboot the media computer while still driving the car)- it's designed to be swap-able but not itself up-gradable AFAIK

To me it seems much more logical to write everything to local storage in the car and then write to the USB device and delete it off local aka move it when requested. I understand the need to conserve local storage though, so maybe they had no choice. It seems surprising that Tesla is already having memory management issues. I would have thought they'd put 4x - 10x the space they thought they'd need in the M3's design. I wonder if the HW3 is going to come with a memory upgrade as well? Or if there will be a user option to add more memory for a cost at the SC?
That would quickly wear out the local storage. They could possibly keep a much smaller amount in RAM and send THAT, but probably not a whole minute.