Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 2022.4.5 doesn't remember USB source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USB music hasn't worked for me in a long time; several software releases. The same stick that worked "perfectly" (using voice commands to resume playback) now never indexes. I never see a USB input on the console.

Tried another stick, and same thing. Same USB port will charge my phone, so I don't think it's the port (neither works anyway).

Their software reminds me of the worst days of Microsoft; bugs don't get fixed, there's no one to appeal to, and no one at the company cares anyway.

It sounds like the car isn't seeing your music. Disabling USB music playback because there is no USB music is very different from having a bad USB music playback app. The fact that a port works for powering your phone only means that it provides power. If the cable to the port is flaky such that the port has power but no data, then what do what you describe.

I would figure out why the car can't see the music. Perhaps start with a known good scenario, like getting USB music to show up using the glove box port which, presumably, you know works for USB data because of the dashcam? If you cannot get that to work, then it's the USB stick, or perhaps the way you formatted it (for example, are you using a supported filesystem?). Then once that works, move the known working USB music stick to a different port.

Or another thing to check: look at which sources you have enabled in the music options. Maybe you or a passenger accidentally disabled USB playback as an available source.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
@Kevy Baby - yes, something else is going on.

“Switch to USB” voice command used to work great - when it used to find music on my USB stick. Now it just doesn’t.

I’m using a 128GB stick, almost full. It used to take several minutes to index the stick, but once it did, it kept the index around and it didn’t need to reindex until I pulled and re-inserted the stick (or after a software upgrade). Now, when I put in the stick, I think it starts indexing, but never seems to finish. I never get an icon, and the voice command does nothing.

MCU2. I’ve tried different sticks to no avail.

Do other folks have large-ish sticks that work?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
@TunaBug - just read your post, after I posted previously. I don’t have a glove box port, but will investigate any software switch that might disable USB music. But I don’t think there is one, unless it’s new. It used to just display the icon if it found music.

Seems like both ports being bad is an unlikely scenario. On thing I haven’t tried is using some smaller sticks I have, just to to… try more random sticks.

@TunaBug - just read your post, after I posted previously. I don’t have a glove box port, but will investigate any software switch that might disable USB music. But I don’t think there is one, unless it’s new. It used to just display the icon if it found music.

Seems like both ports being bad is an unlikely scenario. On thing I haven’t tried is using some smaller sticks I have, just to to… try more random sticks.
Not a port issue, generally.

It's a Tesla software bug

@Creeble the car might well log its problems with the memory stick. After inserting the stick fails to mount it, you could try the "bug report" voice command (which adds a marker to the log) and then submitting a service request asking them to check the logs around that marker for relevant log entries.

Hypothesis: If the software needs free space on the drive to store an index of the music and can't get it, that could make it fail. You could test this by using a larger capacity memory stick or freeing up space on it.

Hypothesis: If the software trips over a file that's malformed or in an unexpected format, that could make it fail. You could test this by removing most of the music folders, inserting the memory stick, then adding back folders in modest batches and retesting.

You can distinguish the second hypothesis if adding back a folder makes it stop working when there's lots of free space, or if removing a different folder doesn't make it work again.

They removed the USB in the glove box? Where does the dashcam get saved?