Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 2022.4.5 doesn't remember USB source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Streaming (apart from traffic visualizations) is the only thing of worth premium connectivity gives you. 10$\mo doesn't sound like a lot, but it's still $120\yr per car, and my guess is that adds up to a packet when you consider all the subscribers. They certainly aren't doing it out of the kindness of their heart, that's certain...

I'd like to believe they're not that evil, but then why the refusal to add such a basic level of functionality to their cars? Hmmm...
My premium membership is primarily used for sentry cam view, traffic, and last - streaming. Iā€™ve downloaded all my music so I rarely ever stream. I also use it to watch YouTube videos while my kids are ice skating or when I road trip and charging.

I have a pretty good idea of bandwidth used and my guess is premium service is not a significant money maker if at all for Tesla. Sorry, but the conspiracy theory here just lacks legs, feet, and a head. There are many things we can get upset with Tesla about and in fact this bug is one of them. The conspiracyā€¦no.

Believe what you want, but I don't think Tesla has generally garnered the reputation of being a company that cares about its customers and is interested in listening to their feedback.
I donā€™t disagree with that, but I also donā€™t think theyā€˜ve intentionally ā€œbrokenā€ USB playback to make money. The USB issues arenā€™t limited to media playback either ā€” the dashcam feature is flaky too, and thereā€™s no money to be made there.

Reactions: TunaBug
This is an old problem, nothing new for v11. Most of the time when I get in either of our cars (S and 3), the USB isnā€™t immediately available so I have to wait for it to appear and start playback manually. If Sentry Mode is on, it works better because the car stays awake.
A solution I figured out a while ago was to turn on the car before I went out to it (I always start AC/heat ahead of time anyways). It USED to not fail me to recall the correct playback position (every time). Since 2022.4.5, that doesn't work except today when I was charging all morning, it was a proper recall when I went out.

Which gets me to thinking that maybe I just need to leave Sentry on all the time (even at work and at home). Hmm...

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Sorry, but the conspiracy theory here just lacks legs, feet, and a head. There are many things we can get upset with Tesla about and in fact this bug is one of them. The conspiracyā€¦no.

Hmm... I really don't like the use of the term 'conspiracy theory' here. Brings to mind Q Anon and other Trump-related craziness and lunatic fringe obsessions. To me they've just been backburnering something that clearly should be fixed for no apparent reason. Does the fact that streaming requires premium connectivity put a (heavy) finger on one side of the scale when it comes time to order bug fixes in the queue? A strong maybe.

When allocating programming resources, do we assign them to basic functionality, or new fart games and boom boxes? I mean, I suppose it could just be chalked up to egregious incompetence and stupidity, but frankly I find that a little hard to swallow. In light of the continuing decline in the quality of the USB music experience over the past years, I find myself questioning their motives...

In light of the continuing decline in the quality of the USB music experience over the past years, I find myself questioning their motives...
If weā€™re going to speculate, maybe the majority of owners listen to other audio sources so USB is a lower priority. I also think the USB for media playback might be impacted by the use of USB for recording dashcam video.

To me they've just been backburnering something that clearly should be fixed for no apparent reason. Does the fact that streaming requires premium connectivity put a (heavy) finger on one side of the scale when it comes time to order bug fixes in the queue? A strong maybe.

When allocating programming resources, do we assign them to basic functionality, or new fart games and boom boxes? I mean, I suppose it could just be chalked up to egregious incompetence and stupidity, but frankly I find that a little hard to swallow. In light of the continuing decline in the quality of the USB music experience over the past years, I find myself questioning their motives...

Their programming and QA prioritization is insane.

If the purpose of the toys and games is to generate buzz in lieu of marketing, well they've overcome that by pissing off owners who care more about things like reading the speedometer and map.

I think "conspiracy theory" is a perfect description for how your comments come across.

Call it what you like. Still waiting for a plausible explanation of why a basic functionality feature has not been fixed (and in fact has regressed) in over five years. It's either stupidity or greed. Tesla has not been notably outright stupid over the years, so...

Reactions: finman100
Tesla needs to fix this ASAP, I see nothing happening and with all the complaints and the potential danger using V11 while driving is unacceptable. I never like when they took away the album art so when I want to change my music instead of taping on the album art I have to do 3 taps to chose new music. So this UI is a real pain, hope they fix it at some point or I will have to find another EV. If it is never fixed when I take delivery of my Rivian R1T and if I like it I will order the R1S.

If the purpose of the toys and games is to generate buzz in lieu of marketing, well they've overcome that by pissing off owners who care more about things like reading the speedometer and map.
Put a little perspective on this: there are at best maybe a couple hundred people reading/posting about this here and other Tesla-specific places (and probably a lot of crossover - when people are angry, they want to spread their ire as much as possible). But the vast majority of Tesla drivers either have no clue about this or don't give a rip.

I have a co-worker with a Tesla she got in September who STILL has not used Auto-Pilot - IMO, the single best feature of this car (besides the electric car thing).

Reactions: TunaBug
Call it what you like. Still waiting for a plausible explanation of why a basic functionality feature has not been fixed (and in fact has regressed) in over five years. It's either stupidity or greed. Tesla has not been notably outright stupid over the years, so...
It has been a while since I have watched someone so vociferously stick with such an outlandish argument.

Tesla as a company needs to make money. That they have made it this far is, IMO, amazing and impressive. You can't make money by spending it on every little detail in search of perfection: some things have to be made a lower priority. I am not defending the multitudes of bugs this car has (and I for one HATE the abysmal USB music interface); but you can bet that Tesla has a LOT of user data about what people do in their cars and I feel safe saying that USB playback is VERY low on the audio source preference scale. So if Tesla is not prioritizing fixing this.

The idea that Tesla is intentionally letting USB playback deteriorate as some sort of profit motive has ZERO credible argument based in any kind of reasonable factual basis.

It has been a while since I have watched someone so vociferously stick with such an outlandish argument.

Tesla as a company needs to make money. That they have made it this far is, IMO, amazing and impressive. You can't make money by spending it on every little detail in search of perfection: some things have to be made a lower priority. I am not defending the multitudes of bugs this car has (and I for one HATE the abysmal USB music interface); but you can bet that Tesla has a LOT of user data about what people do in their cars and I feel safe saying that USB playback is VERY low on the audio source preference scale. So if Tesla is not prioritizing fixing this.

The idea that Tesla is intentionally letting USB playback deteriorate as some sort of profit motive has ZERO credible argument based in any kind of reasonable factual basis.

Additional problem with that rant filling up this thread is that it obscures a very real bug introduced with 2022.4.5, making it less likely Tesla will fix this bug.

Basically, if you want a company to fix a bug, you need to define it carefully and be very specific.

Additional problem with that rant filling up this thread is that it obscures a very real bug introduced with 2022.4.5, making it less likely Tesla will fix this bug.

Basically, if you want a company to fix a bug, you need to define it carefully and be very specific.
I doubt that Tesla pays any attention to these forums. It is a user group run by people with no affiliation with the company (other than owning cars themselves I am sure). We can bitch and moan all we want here, but it won't make a spec of difference to the mothership.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I find Tesla's inability to address this issue irritating to the point where I no longer can recommend this car when I am quizzed by a passer-by. I wrote software for many years, much of it in the Linux OS. This is a one hour job with another seven hours of QA and documentation. The point is that if you have a feature you support and you break it, pissing off your customers by ignoring it is not a solution. Own it, tell them when you will address it and do it. It is never acceptable to simply ignore a bug and the customers who are affected by it.