Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 2022.4.5 doesn't remember USB source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree the lack of saving the player state is a PIA. One thing to note: if you are getting the tidal login upon starting the audio media player after you had been playing usb before leaving the car, in the player settings you can select each source and simply uncheck tidal.
Trouble is if I uncheck Tidal my car defaults to Spotify. If I uncheck Spotify my car defaults to Careoke. And I can't uncheck all 3 as it won't let me....

I took delivery of a 2022 M3 LR AWD on 12/20/21, and I discovered that the center console USB-C ports do not support data. I read somewhere that Tesla had a parts shortage and so put in charging but no data on those 2 ports so they could ship the car. So the only USB port that has data is the USB-A port in the glove box. I plan to ask Tesla Service if this is fixable.

The car came with a Tesla-branded 128 GB USB 3.1 stick already inserted in the glove box USB-A port, and it was already formatted for Dashcam and Sentry Mode videos.

I repartitioned the stick into 2 partitions and formatted them as exFAT, a 120 GB partition for video and an 8.5 GB partition for music.
I duplicated the original naming and directory structure on the120 GB partition, and everything works: I get Dashcam and Sentry Mode videos saved and I can play music from the stick.

Scrolling ahead in a Sentry Mode video to the red dot where the action is detected is not smooth, but it wasn't smooth to begin with, maybe because I only have the Intel processor. Oh, well.

The USB playback UI could be improved, but at least it works. I, too, see that when I get back in the car after being out of it a while, it has forgotten that it was on USB playback. Most of the time it switches to one of the streaming channels I had favorited 3 months ago.

I'd vote for Tesla to get its software developers to spend some time working on basic stuff like this. They also need to actually drive the cars after they wreck the UI and make it dangerous (I'm looking at wiper and climate control - which made me swear at a car for the first time in like 20 years).

I agree with ianc, I lost my USB symbol on my monitor with the upgrade and I also own a 2017 S. I logged on today to see if anyone else had this problem and low and behold I found ianc on the forum. I like my USB music as well and my stick is plugged into my car premanently. I wouldlike to get it back so I can play my music.

I took delivery of a 2022 M3 LR AWD on 12/20/21, and I discovered that the center console USB-C ports do not support data. I read somewhere that Tesla had a parts shortage and so put in charging but no data on those 2 ports so they could ship the car. So the only USB port that has data is the USB-A port in the glove box. I plan to ask Tesla Service if this is fixable.
There is an aftermarket product for that:

• Helpful
Reactions: TunaBug

Thanks for the link to the TPARTS product.

I don't buy into the idea that this is a parts-shortage problem, I think it's just de-contenting. I've not actually seen a Tesla statement about it being parts shortage. IIRC that was just a theory in the fanboy press and seemed plausible at the time because the other car companies were in the news for having to shut down product lines.

I didn't realize this until looking at the TPARTS product, and then going to the Tesla EPC to confirm. It seems that Tesla has a hub in the center console: the USB is present on the computer (MCU?), cable runs from there to the center console hub, then cables from the hub to the two data ports.

I'm guessing that the de-contented cars have a new "hub" module that distributes power without actually having the USB hub chip to deal with data. The TPARTS product is a replacement hub that actually works as a hub, and if it works then this implies that Tesla is still using full data cables.

I'm sticking with de-contenting unless somebody convinces me that we have a world shortage of USB hubs.

Reactions: smogne41
Thanks, yes, I read the entire huge thread on this topic last night, and I want to make sure it won't void my warranty. I'm going to ask Tesla directly, if they express any doubt or hem and haw at all, I won't do it. If they say it's fine, and I can get it in writing, I will most likely get it. It looks like a great fix for a very clumsy action by Tesla.

All

I just stumbled across this thread in the Model Y forum where @SkyDog made this discovery:

But I just found out that if I switch back to USB with the voice command "USB", it does pick up exactly where I left off before, so that makes me happy. The trick is to use the voice command, not the touchscreen.
I haven't tested it myself yet, but I have high hopes.

ETA: Yep. this works. It doesn't pull up the right display info (you would still need to re-navigate to the spot), but at least it works for the short-term.

Still a bastardized approach though: Tesla has really screwed this one up badly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Transformer
All

I just stumbled across this thread in the Model Y forum where @SkyDog made this discovery:

ETA: Yep. this works. It doesn't pull up the right display info (you would still need to re-navigate to the spot), but at least it works for the short-term.

Still a bastardized approach though: Tesla has really screwed this one up badly.

It doesn't work for me. It does something, but it's weird. I get in the car, music fires up to my most recent streaming channel instead of where I was on USB. So I ordered "USB" as suggested: the album artwork switches to the track that I had been playing from USB, but there's no audio, and it tells me to select a music source.

It doesn't work for me. It does something, but it's weird. I get in the car, music fires up to my most recent streaming channel instead of where I was on USB. So I ordered "USB" as suggested: the album artwork switches to the track that I had been playing from USB, but there's no audio, and it tells me to select a music source.
Huh. More stellar Tesla SW.

I only listen to USB*, so that may be why it works for me
*Except when I pull the drive to make additions to the library and it takes several minutes to re-index after I plug it back in. Then I listen to terrestrial radio.

Nah
We have a USB stick recording dashcam video, a USB stick with music and a wireless pad for charging two phones.

All works.
Hey M3BlueGeorgia,

I have similar setup as yours.

Is your USB stick formated in Fat32 or ExFat?
I tired both and having issue seeing my USB drive. So in my 258 GB usb stick, its formated with Fat32. Inside the stick it contains 3 folders. TeslaCam, MP3, lightshow. Sentry works great. Dashcam however is a hit and missed. Meaning sometimes it will record. The only way to be sure is while driving under quick control, tap the recording to save the dashcam clips. As for playing music, it don't see my usb drive to play music in my music folder. This used to work. Did you have two partitions in your USB?

I have premium connectivity but stream would buffer sometimes. I normally hit my usb to play music. I can't anymore. Just curious what is your drive and setup.

Hey M3BlueGeorgia,

I have similar setup as yours.

Is your USB stick formated in Fat32 or ExFat?
I tired both and having issue seeing my USB drive. So in my 258 GB usb stick, its formated with Fat32. Inside the stick it contains 3 folders. TeslaCam, MP3, lightshow. Sentry works great. Dashcam however is a hit and missed. Meaning sometimes it will record. The only way to be sure is while driving under quick control, tap the recording to save the dashcam clips. As for playing music, it don't see my usb drive to play music in my music folder. This used to work. Did you have two partitions in your USB?

I have premium connectivity but stream would buffer sometimes. I normally hit my usb to play music. I can't anymore. Just curious what is your drive and setup.
From my (limited) testing, drive format doesn't make much difference. IMO, the biggest culprits are 1) the Tesla SW, and 2) the physical drives. Personally, I believe that many (most?) of the thumb drives purchased on Amazon are counterfeit and that causes a great deal of the drive frustration people report here (again: just my theory). When I got my car, I had purchased two SanDisk Cruzer 256 GB thumb drives from COSTCO: one for cam and one for music. The ONLY reason I replaced them after two years was because I outgrew the one for music (13,000 high res tracks takes up a lot of space). I replaced it with a Samsung T5 1TB which I split into two partitions.

From my (limited) testing, drive format doesn't make much difference. IMO, the biggest culprits are 1) the Tesla SW, and 2) the physical drives. Personally, I believe that many (most?) of the thumb drives purchased on Amazon are counterfeit and that causes a great deal of the drive frustration people report here (again: just my theory). When I got my car, I had purchased two SanDisk Cruzer 256 GB thumb drives from COSTCO: one for cam and one for music. The ONLY reason I replaced them after two years was because I outgrew the one for music (13,000 high res tracks takes up a lot of space). I replaced it with a Samsung T5 1TB which I split into two partitions.

A lot of people don't pay much attention to purchasing thumb drives. After all, they're basically a commodity. But if you're buying on Amazon then buy from Amazon and not just from some fly-by-night shop, and buy a legit brand that is going to put some effort into QC.

When I was a kid I was taught that a bad tool ultimately costs more than a good one. We didn't have a lot of money, and the point was to not waste the precious pennies on crap. Either wait and save for the right thing, or find an alternative way to get the job done with the good tools you have.

My dashcam is still on the Tesla-supplied thumbdrive. Music is all on a 1T Samsung 840 Pro taken from a decommissioned laptop and inserted into a USB-C to SATA case. Unfortunately I couldn't find any cases that made me feel like I was buying a good tool, so that was bought with the knowledge that finding a good one will be buy-try-return-rinse-repeat until I had one that works. But I'm technically proficient enough to be able to do that on my own.

A lot of people don't pay much attention to purchasing thumb drives. After all, they're basically a commodity. But if you're buying on Amazon then buy from Amazon and not just from some fly-by-night shop, and buy a legit brand that is going to put some effort into QC.
I have heard from some sources (not Tesla related) that even that doesn't guarantee. Amazon doesn't put that much effort into a secure supply chain - just that they get the products.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
All

This works for me too! I do have premium connectivity and historically it's always been a bit hit and miss whether the car starts off in USB from where it left off. Since the last update or two, it always starts on the radio. It seems crazy that no matter how you select USB from the screen, you can't get it to start from where it left off, yet the voice command does that. Bonkers.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
This works for me too! I do have premium connectivity and historically it's always been a bit hit and miss whether the car starts off in USB from where it left off. Since the last update or two, it always starts on the radio. It seems crazy that no matter how you select USB from the screen, you can't get it to start from where it left off, yet the voice command does that. Bonkers.
Starting with 2022.4.X, the system started ALWAYS forgetting where you left off. Before that, by always making sure your car was awake before getting in (I always turned on my environment before going out to my car), it would pickup playback 99% of the time.

Now, what I do to get the car to remember the USB playback position is to always have Sentry active - even at home when it is parked in my locked garage. This prevents the car from falling into deep sleep and has about a 70-80% success rate of remembering the playback position. If it doesn't, THEN I use the "USB".

The shortcoming of using using the voice command is that while it picks up the song playback position, it does NOT remember where you were on the screen. In my case, I use embedded folders to organize my music (because the Tesla system sucks). With the "Sentry On" method (how it SHOULD work, without having to have Sentry on), it remembers the last folder I am. With the USB voice command, you have to start fresh in your navigation.

NOTE: having Sentry on full time WILL increase your energy consumption. I haven't done the math as I don't want to know the answer, so I can't tell you how much, but if I had to guess, it would be 7-10% efficiency hit.

Starting with 2022.4.X, the system started ALWAYS forgetting where you left off. Before that, by always making sure your car was awake before getting in (I always turned on my environment before going out to my car), it would pickup playback 99% of the time.

Now, what I do to get the car to remember the USB playback position is to always have Sentry active - even at home when it is parked in my locked garage. This prevents the car from falling into deep sleep and has about a 70-80% success rate of remembering the playback position. If it doesn't, THEN I use the "USB".

The shortcoming of using using the voice command is that while it picks up the song playback position, it does NOT remember where you were on the screen. In my case, I use embedded folders to organize my music (because the Tesla system sucks). With the "Sentry On" method (how it SHOULD work, without having to have Sentry on), it remembers the last folder I am. With the USB voice command, you have to start fresh in your navigation.

NOTE: having Sentry on full time WILL increase your energy consumption. I haven't done the math as I don't want to know the answer, so I can't tell you how much, but if I had to guess, it would be 7-10% efficiency hit.
I don't like leaving the car on overnight because of the amount of energy sentry uses. I know what you mean about the USB navigation, but I noticed that once you've used voice recognition to say "USB", and your last track starts playing, if you tap the track name that's playing then it puts the navigation part back to the folder containing the playing track.

No doubt Tesla will do another software release soon that will stop these workarounds working! 😆