Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11- Backing out of garage with homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I back out of my garage and close my garage without losing the backup camera without (1) using auto-close and (2) pressing a million buttons to get my camera back up after closing said garage?

This is the single worst thing about the V11 update. Most of them are just new locations of buttons that you’ll get used to. However, THIS… you lose the damn backup camera while jacking out of the garage. WTF.

Someone please tell me I’m missing something.

What? Homelink button is actually better (more prominent) in v11. The close garage button is under the car graphic on left side and does not interfer with the backup camera, so dont get what issue you have with it.
This is one improvement I actually like.... it's totally reachable now without bending like gumby to reach across the car to close the garage.

Reactions: bobby g
The homelink button now seems to appear only when you're virtually in your driveway, GPS knows. When it does it much bigger and accessible than before. I like the change but their update notes don't say anything about homelink so didn't know where it went, searching for it madly then it magically appeared when in the driveway.

Auto-close does not work for me (it never closes in time for me to visually verify it so I dont dare to use it). Cannot calibrate it to close in time. My driveway is just 2 car lengths. Auto-open is great though.

If you don't have your seatbelt fasten when moving, the seatbelt warning covers up the Homelink window.

Hence you have to Buckle Up to Back Up.

This was my issue. I don’t buckle up in my actual garage. I do it as I am backing up or when I get on the street and start to move forward. The homelink close button is covered up when you aren’t buckled. I tried it this AM and the button was there. Thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and mrau
My issue is backing into the garage with Homelink. I have to back into my garage so that it can reach the charging cable. I don't have the auto open or close settings turned on because I don't trust it. At this point, the side mirrors are folded for backing in and the homelink window covers up the side view cameras on the screen. Ideally, I'd like to be able to reposition where the Homelink window pops up to the top of the screen instead of the bottom.

Another Homelink question for the experts. How can I rearrange the new Homelink buttons without reprogramming them from scratch in the proper order? I have dual garage doors. My OCD cannot abide the right door being on the left button & visa versa.
20220102_230556.jpg

How do I back out of my garage and close my garage without losing the backup camera without (1) using auto-close and (2) pressing a million buttons to get my camera back up after closing said garage?

This is the single worst thing about the V11 update. Most of them are just new locations of buttons that you’ll get used to. However, THIS… you lose the damn backup camera while jacking out of the garage. WTF.

How about just depressing the right scroll wheel, wait a couple of seconds and saying, "Camera On"! There are a bunch of verbal commands, You will be surprised how easy it is to use verbal commands than pushing buttons. I use them all the time.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
How about just depressing the right scroll wheel, wait a couple of seconds and saying, "Camera On"! There are a bunch of verbal commands, You will be surprised how easy it is to use verbal commands than pushing buttons. I use them all the time.
I appreciate what you are saying but people saying voice commands are a solution to bad UI is just a band-aid fix at best. Voice commands don't even work if you don't have internet access and they are slow to process. I absolutely will use them on things like "Turn on the heated steering wheel" which isn't mission critical or time sensitive, but it is just not a solution to some aspects of driving.

Has anyone been able to get the "cancel/skip" button on the new UI to work for Homelink? It used to be easy to skip the automatic opening but now the button appears teeny tiny between the activate button and the climate setting, and no matter how many times I've tried pressing it, it hasn't worked.

Our community has a gated entrance which we have tied to Homelink but the exit gate is close by and will auto-open the entrance gate when we're leaving. Never used to be a problem - just hit "skip" as we approached, but now the entrance gate opens every time we're leaving.

I appreciate what you are saying but people saying voice commands are a solution to bad UI is just a band-aid fix at best. Voice commands don't even work if you don't have internet access and they are slow to process. I absolutely will use them on things like "Turn on the heated steering wheel" which isn't mission critical or time sensitive, but it is just not a solution to some aspects of driving.
No you don't need the internet, they are included in your car. I am providing two links below, the first is from your Tesla Operator's Manual on voice commands that is in your car. You, can practice while you just sitting the car so you become familiar with them, that way you don't have to be looking for buttons while driving. The one to open your garage is "Homelink", but it remains to be added. For the camera, just depress the right scroll wheel, wait a couple seconds and say "Camera". Yes, use the voice commands you like!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Has anyone been able to get the "cancel/skip" button on the new UI to work for Homelink? It used to be easy to skip the automatic opening but now the button appears teeny tiny between the activate button and the climate setting, and no matter how many times I've tried pressing it, it hasn't worked.

Our community has a gated entrance which we have tied to Homelink but the exit gate is close by and will auto-open the entrance gate when we're leaving. Never used to be a problem - just hit "skip" as we approached, but now the entrance gate opens every time we're leaving.
Same here. I am unable to skip when I am leaving my community gate after V11 update. It’s also dangerous. When two cars are leaving garage right next to each other, I need to skip homelink from closing the garage door. I have seen cars get damaged by auto closing. Also what about a little kid or pet? I need to be able to cancel garage door from closing In an emergency. I am not sure what these V11 designers were thinking. Ugggh

Same here. I am unable to skip when I am leaving my community gate after V11 update. It’s also dangerous. When two cars are leaving garage right next to each other, I need to skip homelink from closing the garage door. I have seen cars get damaged by auto closing. Also what about a little kid or pet? I need to be able to cancel garage door from closing In an emergency. I am not sure what these V11 designers were thinking. Ugggh

Pressing the button to skip it worked for me a couple of days ago, with "a couple of days ago" being 01/13/2022.

That is just the label (and it is freaking tiny). You still press the button above it. After you do, the label will change to "activate", and pressing it will open the gate. I preferred the old way where it was actually a different color...

As @Sideman7 said, to cancel you hit the line button above where it says cancel. The UI is very poor. It's actually the same method as V10, but in V10 the button would change to say Skip. Now the button just says whatever you called your Homelink item (ie mine says Garage Door) and under the button it says what the button will do - Activate/Cancel.

• Informative