Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 + Homelink + Cold Weather Tip message = Rut Roh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dodged a bullet this morning. Went out to the garage to take the Y on some errands and did the following:

1. Pressed the wall button and opened my garage door
2. Got in the car and pressed the brake pedal
3. Put car in reverse
4. Homelink icon displayed
5. A second later the Cold Weather Tips message box opened ON TYOP OF THE HOMELINK button
6. Was annoyed at the Cold Weather Tip (I want it GONE) and swiped it DOWN to make it go away
7. Depressed the accelerator and started creeping out of my garage
8. I hear and feel a THUNK and in my rearview mirror I see my garage door reversing from my rear hatch
9. Garage door reverses and I look UP and see the lights flashing

Pissed I get out of the car expecting the worse. Got lucky, there was NO damage. I guess a new garage door with a thick rubber gasket and quick Auto-Reverse mechanism saved my bacon.

So after collecting my wits I went out to the garage and duplicated the issue. I guess when swiping away the Cold Weather Tip you can accidentally tell the Homelink to OPEN or CLOSE the garage door.

So Tesla either move the Cold Weather Tip dialog box, allow the owner to permanently disable it, or move the Homelink icon. So moral of the story - don't touch anything on the screen until you are safely IN/OUT of your garage.

• Informative
Reactions: eeee-meeee
I would love to know why Tesla thinks that swiping is a better way to close a window in the UI. What was wrong with the X. Sometimes I think they change things just to see our reactions. I have noticed that the Homelink card that appears now in the lower left hand corner gets covered up by the seat belt warning as I pull into my garage. I stop to get my mail at the end of my driveway and when I get back in I don't bother putting my seat belt back on so when I pull in the warning pops up just as I'm ready to close the garage door. Very frustrating! So then I need to hit the Homelink icon at the top of the screen which opens the control page, search for the Homelink control and tell it to close. HOW IS THIS BETTER?

After lunch I went out to the garage and used some spray detailed to double check my car and I do have some scuffs in the paint where the rubber gasket landed on the hatch and my car must OVEr come by events move a foot more backwards than I thought and scuffed up the entire painted area of the hatch that even Mother’s Power Polish won’t remove.

I would love to know why Tesla thinks that swiping is a better way to close a window in the UI. What was wrong with the X. Sometimes I think they change things just to see our reactions. I have noticed that the Homelink card that appears now in the lower left hand corner gets covered up by the seat belt warning as I pull into my garage. I stop to get my mail at the end of my driveway and when I get back in I don't bother putting my seat belt back on so when I pull in the warning pops up just as I'm ready to close the garage door. Very frustrating! So then I need to hit the Homelink icon at the top of the screen which opens the control page, search for the Homelink control and tell it to close. HOW IS THIS BETTER?
Swiping is natural to IOS natives. Swipe to close is the way it works. Makes logical sense to stick with one of the most popular OS’s in the market.