Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - how to disable/hide audio sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the previous v10 there was a recent-ish update that gave the user the ability to choose which audio sources to use.

I can’t find a way to do this in v11 - and I would like to turn off some audio sources when searching for music.

The old manual : “Use the icons across the bottom of Media Player to change your media source (for example, FM, Streaming, or a Bluetooth-connected device). Customize your preferred media sources by going to Media Player > Settings > Sources and hide sources that you do not use. Use the tabs on the left to narrow down the type of content you want to browse through—the associated content displays on the right”

Does anyone know how to do this in v11?

Yes perhaps. You see for my interests - a lot of classical music - streaming is useless. If I say “Play Beethoven’s 5th symphony” it’s back to assuming I want “Beethoven’s 5th Symphony radio” and happily streams any of the movements followed by something vaguely Beethoven-ish.

With streaming disabled, up came Spotify with Album choices. That worked fine. Choose the London Philharmonic or the famous Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra / Carlos Kleiber recording.

So I was so glad when it got fixed in v10. Back to square 1 on streaming it seems.

If you look at the release notes they say simply go to the media setting, select sources. They even show a screen where you make the selections. Unfortunately this turns out to be vaporware. The only setting actually available are setting tone and balance. As far as my last two hours of searching can tell, it is impossible to do. So I too am stuck having the media player constantly bringing up all the things I don't want to see before I can get to the ones I do.

Reactions: LionelHutz
Just discovered this tonight, annoying…

Tried to voice search a track on my USB SSD and it returned results for - as far as I can tell - everything but the USB, including things I haven’t even used before like TuneIn.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I’m assuming at the moment there is no way to search on USB?

My frustrations come when every single time I get into my car, it has forgotten that I was listening to my own curated playlist on USB. I have been presented the "Login to TIDAL" screen so often that I have grown to LOATHE the service with every fiber of my being without having ever used it. I want an ability to disable ALL streaming services.

In the previous v10 there was a recent-ish update that gave the user the ability to choose which audio sources to use...

...the release notes...show a screen where you make the selections. Unfortunately this turns out to be vaporware...

In February I was pleased to see software release notes on NotATeslaApp dot com that suggested that it should be possible to "disable individual audio sources from the Audio Settings menu." I listen primarily to FM radio and iPod music--I currently have no need of Sirius, streaming, Caraoke, Spotify, et cetera. (But is it good that those options are available for others.) So in my early-2021 Model X it would be convenient to disable those additional entries and make the screen that much easier.

Undocumented Feature--to disable audio sources

But I continue to lack this ability. I have had car firmware version 2021.44.30.21 (FSD Beta ver. 10.10.2) since mid-February, and that version apparently lacks that feature. And I have never seen the "Sources" option (see screen shot above) to disable the unused audio selections (since March 2021 when I purchased the new car). I assume that certain other cars with newer ("2022") software updates (perhaps from both production and FSD Beta builds) perhaps do have this feature?

I hope that I will get a new software update one of these days that (a) continues to improve upon FSD Beta) and (b) offers the ability to disable individual audio selections.

Last edited:
Probably only production builds. FSD Beta builds are still using a separate stack based on older production builds, but that’s supposed to change at some point.

Turns out I am getting the latest FSD Beta update right this minute--firmware 2022.4.5.21 w/FSD Beta v10.11.2. (This will be my first "2022"-named update.) However, as you said I don't think it will provide the audio-source-control feature. Too bad. But on the bright side, maybe FSD will stop trying to kill me?

Turns out I am getting the latest FSD Beta update right this minute--firmware 2022.4.5.21 w/FSD Beta v10.11.2. (This will be my first "2022"-named update.) However, as you said I don't think it will provide the audio-source-control feature. Too bad. But on the bright side, maybe FSD will stop trying to kill me?
As far as I know, FSD Beta hasn’t succeeded in killing (or even injuring) anyone yet, so the odds are in your favor. 🙂

Turns out I am getting the latest FSD Beta update right this minute--firmware 2022.4.5.21 w/FSD Beta v10.11.2. (This will be my first "2022"-named update.) However, as you said I don't think it will provide the audio-source-control feature…

Wrong! The new FSD Beta software update once again does allow me to disable unused audio options. Yeah.

It's been so long that I had forgotten that this feature was similarly available before the Holiday firmware updates.

Right now there are, I believe, seven audio-related options (in North American cars)--
  1. Radio
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Streaming
  4. Spotify
  5. Caraoke
  6. TuneIn
  7. TIDAL
These are revealed when you access "Audio Settings" for any of the choices. (There may also be other audio media source icons--like for a USB device.)

I primarily use Radio and Bluetooth (occasionally). (Yes, I am boring.) I cannot hide quite all (five) of the unused audio options-at least three must apparently be displayed. But I can disable four of them (in my case #s 4-7). That makes the media sources screen less cluttered as I'm driving. (In the screenshot below all the media sources are selected. In my car I now seem to be able to turn off up to four of them.)

Sow/Hide Media Sources

Last edited:
In the previous v10 there was a recent-ish update that gave the user the ability to choose which audio sources to use.

I can’t find a way to do this in v11 - and I would like to turn off some audio sources when searching for music.

The old manual : “Use the icons across the bottom of Media Player to change your media source (for example, FM, Streaming, or a Bluetooth-connected device). Customize your preferred media sources by going to Media Player > Settings > Sources and hide sources that you do not use. Use the tabs on the left to narrow down the type of content you want to browse through—the associated content displays on the right”

Does anyone know how to do this in v11?

Agreed on the need to hide media sources ..... I use 24 bit files played vis USB and have no interest in streaming the lower res formats - Being able to hide the sources I don't use would be a huge daily plus