Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note: They aren't stopping support. I'm sure that MCU/1 will continue to get security patch releases... but new features, new investment should NOT happen on that old platform. It's 2012 tech, and it's stretched as far as can go. They will continue to support it from a security patch perspective, but all new investment into the "cool" stuff like v11 and the new turn signal repeater camera view will only be MCU/2.

BTW, with my late 2017 Model S, I decided 5 months ago to do the Infotainment Ugrade Package even though I'm still under warranty. It was the best $2500 I spent to date on my Model S.

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Guy with several MCU1 cars here: not only would I like to see them STOP adding new things like games and other resource hungry apps but I would like to see them retroactively remove farts, games and other useless crap that just makes my MCU interaction painfully slow for features that are useful. I'd like them to strip the fat that nobody uses for MCU1 cars and work out a stability update that will lock it in place reliably for the rest of time. For me, this would be like Christmas in August.

I'm fine with little additions of features like the exclude door locks at home and other newer features that don't really use up resources but the graphic intensive type things like games and other useless crap can go away. These older MCU1 cars simply don't possess the raw hardware computing power to do what the new MCU2 can do with ease and they know it. They've got a real opportunity here to disrupt how software/hardware is handled in the future and instead they appear to be focused on following the tried and true path of intentional & planned obsolescence that so many throw-away devices follow in an effort to get you to buy the latest and greatest. A $150k car is not a throw away item for 99.9999% of your customers Elon. Don't crap on the owners and cars that put you on the map.

Guy with several MCU1 cars here: not only would I like to see them STOP adding new things like games and other resource hungry apps but I would like to see them retroactively remove farts, games and other useless crap that just makes my MCU interaction painfully slow for features that are useful. I'd like them to strip the fat that nobody uses for MCU1 cars and work out a stability update that will lock it in place reliably for the rest of time. For me, this would be like Christmas in August.

I'm fine with little additions of features like the exclude door locks at home and other newer features that don't really use up resources but the graphic intensive type things like games and other useless crap can go away. These older MCU1 cars simply don't possess the raw hardware computing power to do what the new MCU2 can do with ease and they know it. They've got a real opportunity here to disrupt how software/hardware is handled in the future and instead they appear to be focused on following the tried and true path of intentional & planned obsolescence that so many throw-away devices follow in an effort to get you to buy the latest and greatest. A $150k car is not a throw away item for 99.9999% of your customers Elon. Don't crap on the owners and cars that put you on the map.
Games are only resource hungry when you’re playing them and very likely have zero impact on the interactivity responsiveness of the UI otherwise.

I'd like them to strip the fat that nobody uses for MCU1 cars and work out a stability update that will lock it in place reliably for the rest of time.

Absolutely.

Even though my MS is a fairly recent model, I would love to have it locked in a stable state that just delivers what I paid for, MAYBE with the option to install certain 'critical' updates. With no way to turn off ALL uploads to Tesla, my somewhat meagre 'rural' internet service grinds to a standstill for hours under the uploaded data load from my car. With no comprehensive list of changes provided BEFORE installing updates, you are automatically a member of the big Tesla EV Experiment.

I am of course looking forward to v11 (with some scepticism) but with many simple fixes unresolved for so long I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: camthehombre
Here is a thread on Reddit with some leaks about the rewrite and V11 from someone with inside knowledge:

"There are lots of cool stuff on the way! v11 is actually crazy from the things I’m told. Take a look at the CuberTruck UI for a teaser."

"From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t know the car is driving itself unless they see there’s no driver of course. It’ll park and everything like a human."

"What you’re describing with the NOA/lane changing on city streets. That will be around the same time as the 90-degree turns. We’re going to get a lot of “big” updates within a really short time period. From how it was described to me, within a few months we’re going to get multiple of these “big” features. I’d assume that’s why we won’t be getting any new big features until the rewrite is completed.

As far as the no conformation, I meant the feature is ready to go. I’m not sure if we will get this before or after the rewrite. I’d assume after. Also, to be honest I’m not sure if it will just be traffic lights, or lights and stop signs I wasn’t told and didn’t think to ask."

Version 11? : teslamotors

V11 sounds like it is going to be HUGE!

Wow, could it be that "Fat Lane Syndrome" will finally be solved??!!

I doubt it.

Games are only resource hungry when you’re playing them and very likely have zero impact on the interactivity responsiveness of the UI otherwise.

This would be true if they were 100% streamed which they are not. The app is installed on the limited storage (like all other crap apps) and the more storage you use the slower and more prone to corruption it becomes. Given the well-known eMMC issues us MCU1 folks are plagued with this is the exact sort of thing that lends to that premature failure and awful experience in the years running up to failure.

I'm tempted to open a sockpuppet account just so I can "Love" this more than once.

In terms of volatile random access memory you're not wrong. When you launch a game it loads in RAM and plays from there since it's so much quicker. Each time you reboot this is cleared which is (part of) why manual reboots help to recover a slow and unresponsive MCU.

In terms of flash storage, aka eMMC, aka the main failure point in the MCU1 that's under current investigation by the NHTSA, you absolutely affect both performance and lifespan by installing all of these games & apps that aren't important to vehicle experience and controls. This is largely a non-issue (for now) with MCU2 vehicles because the eMMC the chose is much larger so this won't become an issue until the firmware with all of the games/games/crap grows to a point where it occupies a larger % of the maximum capacity... like it is now on the MCU1 cars.

This is why you can have a laptop with a 1TB flash drive and one with a 250GB flash drive of the same manufacturer/speed/technology with nothing but Windows loaded on them and the 1TB machine will be much faster and have a longer life expectancy. This delta only grows as you install more apps/games/programs and get closer to max capacity of the 250GB drive. This delta grows even more as you sprinkle in time and portions of the storage become corrupt and otherwise unusable.

It's the same thing with the eMMC (read: non-volatile memory) in these cars. Every single app, game or program they install with an update expands the size of the footprint in storage. Even if you NEVER open a single game they will affect your system resource allocation which will directly impact interaction speed and overall lifespan. This is why so many complain about farts and games when basic functionality is been greatly impacted over the years. This is a literal misallocation of resources both in terms of coding and hardware that has greatly impacted older MCU1 cars which represents the majority of their Model S fleet still today.

...are those apps loaded and running in the background to consume the limit processing resource? You know how the OS works on the car?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Anything that reduces space on emmc makes write levelling / wear leveling less effective so you are hitting the same area of memory more and more. When you don't have much free to start with, anything makes a difference.
How much is free? What size? 256 gb usb drive on Amazon costs $30.
https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-128GB-Flash-Memory-Drive/dp/B00YFI1A66?th=1
Without an app that is constantly writing to flash memory these things should last many (10+) years.

Update:
Reading reports on the internet I see the original flash that failed was 8GB and later Tesla updated size to 16GB. Wonder what size Tesla is currently using.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Guy with several MCU1 cars here: not only would I like to see them STOP adding new things like games and other resource hungry apps but I would like to see them retroactively remove farts, games and other useless crap that just makes my MCU interaction painfully slow for features that are useful. I'd like them to strip the fat that nobody uses for MCU1 cars and work out a stability update that will lock it in place reliably for the rest of time. For me, this would be like Christmas in August

But I very much doubt that farts and/or games are using any resources on the car unless they are being run, any more than having an app sitting on your computer consumes resources (other than storage space) when its not being used.