Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess (and it’s just that) is all that space for the car on the left side of the screen was intended to be used for a 360 overhead view when parking or backing out but Tesla ran into some issues getting it to work acceptably well. I’m all for being able to customize the UI for the screen, it would be great to have adjustable font sizes, change colors, themes, and arrangements, access Autopilot’s “Augmented Vision”, etc.

Overall Tesla does a decent job with their UI for an automaker but that’s kind of damning with faint praise. With that giant blank screen they have the potential to be the iPhone against every other manufacturers’ Blackberry, but remember Apple put a huge amount of time and money into developing the iPhone’s first interface just so they could get it right from Day One. Tesla’s got the money, if they put some (more) graphics people with a Jobs-like obsession to fret over the tiniest of details they could turn that big-as screen into an impressive visual experience that is simultaneously more intuitive and useful.

Are you suggesting that it will all make sense once we get to Mars? I think you might be on to something.

B1g6q0D.png

• Funny
Reactions: Cybr.Myk
the grey battery makes sense. orange/yellow/red are warning colours and the battery doesnt have to warn you about anything unless its getting too low - in which case it still turns orange and then red.

Not saying it has to be green, but why did someone sit down and change it? My original assumption was to avoid any possibility of confusing it with a green traffic signal in the car status display, but they numerous other green indicators (headlights for example).

Reactions: helvio
My guess (and it’s just that) is all that space for the car on the left side of the screen was intended to be used for a 360 overhead view when parking or backing out but Tesla ran into some issues getting it to work acceptably well. I’m all for being able to customize the UI for the screen, it would be great to have adjustable font sizes, change colors, themes, and arrangements, access Autopilot’s “Augmented Vision”, etc.

While still speculation, it's clear from the beta videos that its needed for FSD. Of course, you could argue that it should only get bigger when using FSD (if you have that option), as it seems to do in some of the betas. However, I also think this will be part of Teslas marketing .. when FSD gets out of beta everyone with HW3 is going to see the new (non-beta) FSD visualizations as a subliminal suggestion to purchase FSD ("look at all the things the car could be taking care of for you!").

Reactions: helvio
Yes FSD will probably default to an even larger part of the screen being taken up. I was thinking of something more like this:

2019-Chevrolet-Blazer-RS-Photo-Interior-003-720x340.jpg

The stationary car icon on Tesla’s new operating system reminds me a lot of what they typically look like in 360/surround view mode from other companies. Elon tweeted in 2020 that this feature was coming for FSD, I’m thinking it’s been harder to get it to work well than they anticipated.

Tesla to offer bird’s eye view through Autopilot camera in FSD package - Electrek

The stationary car icon on Tesla’s new operating system reminds me a lot of what they typically look like in 360/surround view mode from other companies. Elon tweeted in 2020 that this feature was coming for FSD, I’m thinking it’s been harder to get it to work well than they anticipated.

That post was misunderstood by a lot of people. Elon was not referring to a top-down camera view such as you see on other cars today. That is essentially a video blending from several cameras. Instead he was talking about a synthetic birds-eye view based on the data gathered by the AI/NN from the cameras .. in other words it will not be video, so much as a much richer version of the car status display. It's possible there could be come form of video overlay also, but the camera directions are not optimized for that; the cameras look outwards on Teslas while the cameras for 360 degree down view tend to look more downwards.

That post was misunderstood by a lot of people. Elon was not referring to a top-down camera view such as you see on other cars today. That is essentially a video blending from several cameras. Instead he was talking about a synthetic birds-eye view based on the data gathered by the AI/NN from the cameras .. in other words it will not be video, so much as a much richer version of the car status display. It's possible there could be come form of video overlay also, but the camera directions are not optimized for that; the cameras look outwards on Teslas while the cameras for 360 degree down view tend to look more downwards.

We know Teslas cameras arent optimized for this kind of view but there are a few cars where the cameras cant create a true 360 degree view but they have extremely useable 360 degree cameras. I'm sure it can be done and I hope that all Teslas will eventually get it patched in - the processing power is there with MCU3 for sure.

Reactions: McFlurri
Vertical divider should be dynamic. When parked wider car with animations is kinda cool. When drive is selected give us a wider map. When reversing wider cameras or if 360° view is deployed maybe then insert camera feed around car on the left and keep it as wide as necessary. If fsd is activated wider fsd-view.

Vertical divider should also be movable slider which gives few different styles. Driving with fsd but still don't care fsd-view and prefer map? Just slide it to left. Personally I would like both, sometimes nerdy me would like to see this unnecessary but cool data, but when it's tough situation for ap I'm looking out anyway and ready to take over so why not use wider map view if navigating to somewhere is the thing rather than being geek.

I would prefer three widths; narrow, normal and wide. Narrow would be ultra minimalism, normal as it was and wide as it is now.

Reactions: NpOverspeed
Vertical divider should be dynamic. When parked wider car with animations is kinda cool. When drive is selected give us a wider map. When reversing wider cameras or if 360° view is deployed maybe then insert camera feed around car on the left and keep it as wide as necessary. If fsd is activated wider fsd-view.

Vertical divider should also be movable slider which gives few different styles. Driving with fsd but still don't care fsd-view and prefer map? Just slide it to left. Personally I would like both, sometimes nerdy me would like to see this unnecessary but cool data, but when it's tough situation for ap I'm looking out anyway and ready to take over so why not use wider map view if navigating to somewhere is the thing rather than being geek.

I would prefer three widths; narrow, normal and wide. Narrow would be ultra minimalism, normal as it was and wide as it is now.

This.